i30 Owners Club

Headlamp Globe Upgrades

Guest · 120 · 37527

ouri30
I have read all that others have witten about upgrading the headlamps with HID Xenon kits.  What has worried me most about this is the legality of it.  I know lots of motorists have done it, but I can't find any information that suggests it is legal to do so unless the vehicle has self-levelling headlamps and has lense cleaning installed.  Hence my decision to take the following path.

I researched different Philips globes and found the one that is supposedly the brightest (and still legal) is the Philips Xtreme Power (+80%).  These are available in the H7 (low beam), but not the H1 (high beam).

Further research led me to the Osram Night Breaker (+90%).  These are available in a wider range of globe types including H1.  I found some forums, including some Aussie ones where users gave their impressions of the Philips Xtreme Power and the Osram Night Breaker globes.  Someone actually bought a set of each and tried them out to determine which gave the best driving light.  Osram Night Breaker got the nod and he gave the Philips Xtreme Power to a relative.

Based on this and some other reviews (all from the UK) that I found, I went ahead and ordered a pair of H7 and H1 for the i30, plus a pair of H4 for the Getz from http://www.powerbulbs.com in the UK.  Included was a pair of Philips Blue Vision W5W (hope these fit the parking lights on the i30).  Incidently, delivery is free, anywhere in the world.  All up, they have cost me £72.85 ($153.97AU)

It will be a while before they arrive, plus I am away for at least a week in Qld from Monday with the family (father-in-law passed away, aged 97, so not an enjoyable trip).  When the globes do arrive and I have the time to fit them, I shall let you know what I think of them on the road compared to the standard globes.

Cheers,
Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the info & research Bob.

Hope your trip goes as well as it can do, and you have my condolences.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Just found a cheaper UK site selling these Night Breakers

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=886

H1 £19.00 (pair) delivered
H7 £19.46 (pair) delivered
H4 £18.36 (pair) delivered

Total £56.82 ($119.89AU)

(£38.46 ($81.15AU) for i30 components only)

ouri30
Had a loook at that site as well Shambles.  Decided against it as, from what I could see, the delivery was only to the UK, whereas the site I used was World Wide delivery included in the price.

Bob

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "ouri30"
I have read all that others have witten about upgrading the headlamps with HID Xenon kits.  What has worried me most about this is the legality of it.  I know lots of motorists have done it, but I can't find any information that suggests it is legal to do so unless the vehicle has self-levelling headlamps and has lense cleaning installed.  

Bob, I am fully aware of the legalities involving retrofitting HiD lights into vehicles that do not have HiD fitted from the factory. Yes, you need  levelers (To avoid blinding oncoming traffic if you have a load in the back. Be it passengers or luggage) Also HiD housings have a different beam pattern that does not allow the ADR requirement for halogen lighting to produce 1.8% (Or 18%, can't remember which) of light that is meant to point up into the air, to illuminate road signs.

Putting HiD bulbs into normal halogen housings will, in 99% of the time produce dangerous glare for oncoming drovers.

This is why I opened up my headlamps and fitted 'scatter' shields that do not allow any light from the HiD bulb that would normal go upwards. Hence, I have 0% light transmission up into the air. (Just like a normal HiD install)

I have no problems with road signs at night, whilst on low beam. (I can see them perfectly)

Now, for levelers, I am looking around for the manual electric levelers that are found on most EU spec vehicles. I will be retrofitting them to the i30 soon. In the mean time, I carry a long Phillips head screwdriver for adjusting the lights on the fly.

Washers, a bottle of Mcguires quick detailer and a microfiber cloth sits in the back. No problems.  8-)

The high beam looks like I've fitted very expensive large driving lights to the front. (I'm actually finding them too bright)  :P

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "ouri30"
Had a loook at that site as well Shambles.  Decided against it as, from what I could see, the delivery was only to the UK, whereas the site I used was World Wide delivery included in the price.

Bob
No it is free Bob, but as you've ordered now it doesn't matter :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for all the info...

Knew I did the right thing buying a Kettle the other day. Will wait until get Bob's feedback before going the same way I reckon...

Sorry to hear about the F.I.L. Bob. Hope the trip goes OK in the circumstances..

Rgds,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Thanks Daz, Shambles and others I may have missed for your sympathy regarding the death of my F I L.  He has had a great innings, reaching 97.

I wish I had the confidence to fit HIDs Thumper.  Maybe down the track I might go this way, particularly for high beam.  But for now I want to try the easy way out and see what the results are like.  I appreciate your input and expertise with lighting.  I've read it with interest and will continue to consider HIDs in the future when and if they are accepted as legal in Oz.

Bob

Offline 30L6805

• 2nd Gear

• vn Viet Nam
      Hanoi
any brothers here know how to call that thing?? projector head lamp (guessing)?
[attachment=0:j9t8cc49]DSCF1235.JPG[/attachment:j9t8cc49]

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "30L6805"

It's a projector low beam. Using a H7 Halogen bulb.

Normal reflector high beam, H1 Halogen bulb.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
the Problem using Halogen that put out a brighter light here in Australia, is in the summer they don't seem to last long. i have used them in the past. and on a hot summers night they let me down. having a light is better than no light at all! so i would not buy what works in the UK, to use here. might be ok in winter but won't be long and summer is back with us. i think i'd listen to Thumper as he seems to know more about lights. but if you have ordered them Bob will see how they work for you, but keep your stock globes with you!

Offline 30L6805

• 2nd Gear

• vn Viet Nam
      Hanoi
Quote from: "Thumper"
Quote from: "30L6805"

It's a projector low beam. Using a H7 Halogen bulb.

Normal reflector high beam, H1 Halogen bulb.

beside looking nice, what other benefit a projector low beam has over traditional one?

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
I've just changed my headlights to Philips 50% brighter globes.
It's an easy process. Unplug the power to the lights. Undo 3
bolts and slide the headlight housing out the front. Takes 5 mins
to change each side. The high beam is H1 & the low beam is H7

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Dave,

So guess it cost you about $120 all up? Does it make as much difference as you hoped?

If a "deal comes off" I'm going to put a spoiler on the wife's Tiida and upgrade my globes to Philips or Osram and... go for a "Thumper exhaust upgrade"....  :P

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

No they only cost $40 & $50 each. Will go for a drive after dinner
to see how much difference there is

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:?  So thats $180 all up then ....

Await results of your test with interest... did Bob end up fitting and testing his osrams?

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

$90 all up. They come in sets of 2. Never heard back from Bob.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Derrrr.. I forgot they come in pairs.. (that's not bad). If you are as impressed as someone else was earlier (i forget who) might do them soon!  :D

ouri30
Sorrry All, haven't posted an update to the headlamps since fitting them.

The low beam and high beam Osram Nightbreaker lamps are certainly brighter than the standard lamps.  The light is certainly whiter and gives better breadth of view which is important in country driving. I am pleased with the result.  Undoubtedly, they would not compare with the Xenon HID upgrades, but I do not have to concern myself with the legalities of fitting HIDs.

I shall have to see if the globes fail in hotter weather.  Only time will tell.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If I upgrade my globes... They should last longer down here in the cool even if my fuel doesn't  :(

ouri30
Some of you may remember that I have fitted Osram Night Breaker globes to ouri30 (and also our Getz).  

Last night I gave a friend a ride back from golf on a country road.  He remarked on how good the lights were on the i30.  I think that speaks volumes for the effectiveness of the globe upgrade I have fitted.  I certainly notice the improvement.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Bob .. I was wondering...

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Thanks for all this good information Bob - I'll be buying some H1 & H7 Osram Nightbreakers tomorrow, to fit this weekend. The factory bulbs can become my spares in the boot!

Xenons are definitely only legal here in the UK if you've got headlamp washers fitted and I don't fancy that at all. My other car has bi-xenons, which are lovely, but the headlamp washers operate when you squirt the screenwash if the headlamps are on. This is a right pain in the a*se, especially when it sprays all over a newly washed and waxed bonnet!  :evil:

EDIT - Oooooooooooooooer, I just read this - http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps - not so sure about buying the Osrams now, because they are xenons.

Edit #2 ...confusion over HID lights and xenon-filled bulbs is now resolved, thanks to bunnyip's post, below.

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Well - I've done it!

Just bought a set of Osram Nightbreaker H1's and a set of Osram Nightbreaker H7's - They come with 2 free sets of 501 W5W Extreme White Sidelight Bulbs - All for £32.96 (68.09aud) from here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... WLIST#LIST

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "i30manUK"
Just bought a set of Osram Nightbreaker H1's

Thanks i30manUK that's just forced my hand into doing the same! But only for H7 (dip) beams

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
A word of reassurance should it be needed.

It seems that i30manUK may have been a bit confused for a while. That word Xenon is used to confuse it seems.

This quote from http://www.alpha-bid.com/ explains fairly concisely.

"What is the difference between genuine XENON HID lights and Xenon gas-filled bulbs?

High Intensity Discharge (HID) is a type of lighting technology that replaces the filament of the light bulb with Xenon gas. The gas is ignited to produce an arc of light, when high voltage is applied. The amount of light output is three times that of a standard halogen bulb. The lamps also glow at a higher light temperature (closer to natural sunlight) that gives it its distinct color and appearance.

Other companies produce halogen bulbs that are gas-filled. They still have a filament as they are halogen technology, but the gas gives the bulb a bluer color when lit. Xenon-filled halogen bulbs produce little or no more light output then standard halogen bulbs of the same wattage."

Osram Night breakers are conventional if high output Bulbs. They are NOT High Intensity Discharge Lamps and do not come under Legal Restrictions, in the UK anyhow.

See http://www.osram.com/osram_com/Consumer/Automotive_Lighting/Products/Headlights/NIGHT_BREAKER/index.html

I use Night Breakers to avoid any legal hassle, coward that I am. I am also delighted with them.

Although Lakes was let down by High Output bulbs I do not know if he was just unlucky or perhaps High Ultraviolet exposure or High Ambient Temperatures in Australia may shorten the life of such bulbs. I confess that I cannot think why such bulbs would be less reliable in Australia. Maybe this will prompt someone to explain. On the other hand rough roads in Australia and there are plenty would create more vibration. Then again Australia is not unique in that respect. Oh &#!* I do not know.

If you see http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html you might decide to try the Philips offering instead.

Unlike Auto Express I have found my Night Breakers  to be a pair of consistent  perfectly matched bulbs.

So as the Americans say "Your mileage may vary".

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Thanks for that Bunny - excellent post as usual - I admit I was confused and your post has cleared it all up. I had come to the concusion that the Osrams were ok, but you have confirmed it very neatly - thanks again.  ;)

I'll sleep well tonight!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks to all and particularly Bun-yip.

It would be interesting to see how the Osram and Philips globes compare ...

Regards,

Dazz

ouri30
Can't remember where, but when I was researching about replacements for the standard bulbs, I came across a 4WD forum where someone in Oz purchased Philips +50 lamps and Osram Nightbreakers to try them both out.  His opinion was that the Osram Nightbreakers gave the best light.  He gave the Philips bulbs to his brother-in-law.

It was on the basis of this that I went for the Osram Nightbreakers.

Bob

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Bob... If he'd given the Philips globes to his mother-in-law.. I would have avoided them like the plague.. :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal