i30 Owners Club

Handbrake indicator dimly lit and Cruise Control not working

kimmie · 13 · 4822

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all, wonder if anyone could shed a light on the problems I have with my 2009 CRDi i30 this morning. On my usual morning commute, suddenly the 'handbrake indicator light' turns on. It was not as bright as it normally would when the handbrake is engaged, but just dimly lit. So I try to pull the handbrake a little bit, just enough to 'bright-lit' the indicator, then push it back down - and the light went out. However, a couple hundreds metre along, the indicator turns on again, dimly. So I pulled over, turn off the engine, and restart again, but the it still dimly lit.

So I drove off again, believing that it was just an 'indicator' fault (the handbrake is not actually engaged). However, I notice that my 'cruise control' failed to engage too. I can turn it on, but I can not 'set' it on a certain speed. Nothing happens when I press the 'set' button. Until I press my foot brake to slow down, it suddenly works again, and it works all right all the way, until I reached my final destination.

I suspect it has something todo with the rain, being a really wet morning this morning. Maybe there's a switch underneath the car that got wet, hence became problematic?

Anyone has similar experience to share? I reckon I need to bring this to an authorised Hyundai dealer, but would love to hear from you first.

I attached two photos of the indicator light, showing the problem. One with bright light indicator (handbrake is engaged), the other with a dim light (the handbrake is disengaged).

Thanks!
  • MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There is obviously some funny business going on there.

I'd suggest getting the dealer to check it out, as the wiring in modern cars is quite complex. I'd have them check the brake switch first, as you reported things correcting themselves from that point and the switches are known to be faulty at times. Unless you've been driving through floods, the car should not be affected at all, by wet / rainy weather.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Maximum

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Boosting!
That is definitely something a bit funny - I don't believe the brake light is meant to have a slightly dimmer setting. My guess would also be electrics but your car will still have warranty so definitely swing by the dealer so they can hook your baby up to the computer and sort it out for you. It should only be something small, good luck!  :goodjob2:
  • Veloster Turbo Manual in Marmalade

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I believe that the cruise control will not set until after the brakes have first been applied each time the engine is started. This is a safety check to ensure the brake sensor is OK and able to turn the CC off properly.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies.

Phil: No, I haven't been driving through flood. It was just a normal Melbourne's heavy rain, and it wasn't my i30's first heavy rain either.

AlanHo: I have pressed the brake at least once before the lights (and the problem with CC) occur this morning. In fact, I was already in the 45th KM of my trip this morning (yep, I travel 95KM one way to work) when it happened. So I definitely have pressed the brake multiple times and have engaged the CC before. Thanks though for the information - I never knew that. :-)

All: I start the car this arvo, and everything's perfect. No dim light, no anything. CC works flawlessly, and I drove 95KM home (just arrived now) without a single issue.

I have a mixed feeling now, part of me was relieved that it fixed itself, but another part of me was 'hoping' that the problem persisted this arvo, so I can show it to the dealer. Oh well, being someone in my occupation, I really can't afford to take a leave during school days - so a trip to my dealer has to wait until after Easter holiday.

In the time being, I hope the problem will not re-occur til then. Will keep you guys updated, but PLEASE keep the opinions coming, especially that it has now 'fixed' itself. Any thoughts or idea?

Offline Maximum

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Boosting!
Chances are it will come back - everything that fixes itself usually rears its ugly head again. If it is a plug, it could just be slightly worn and allowed water to enter or, more likely, a loose plug that a jolt bought into contact properly again. I'd guess a loose plug *just* making a connection would look kind of dim on the dash as theres only just enough current going through to make it work. If it pops up, go straight to the dealer so they can clip it back in  :goodjob2:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Chances are it will come back - everything that fixes itself usually rears its ugly head again. If it is a plug, it could just be slightly worn and allowed water to enter or, more likely, a loose plug that a jolt bought into contact properly again. I'd guess a loose plug *just* making a connection would look kind of dim on the dash as theres only just enough current going through to make it work. If it pops up, go straight to the dealer so they can clip it back in  :goodjob2:

Sorry, can't quite agree with the loose plug theory. The indicator for the brake is a LED and these devices require VERY small current to light, in the order of 15/1000 of an amp. In fact if you tried to reproduce the effect, it would be nearly impossible to do.
You can get that effect when there's a current path taking an unexpected and highly resistive route to the indicator. My money's on the brake switch.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Maximum

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Boosting!
That's why there are people with a more in depth knowledge of certain things to correct us so we all learn. At least we've possibly narrowed down the problem possibilities  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great reply & post.
I think you're going to fit in pretty well around here.  ;)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sensible plan: watch for it and go straight to the dealer while it's under warranty. With electronics always suspect the mechanical moving parts such as the brake switch before anything solid state.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update... Today was raining like crazy, even harder than the other day when the problem occured, but everything was normal... Will keep an eye for it, and will make my way to the dealer as soon as I could.

Many thanks for your replies.

Offline EssexTech

• Technical Advisor

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
It sounds like the Brake switch behind the pedal. I have had it replaced, it causes all sort of wacky issues like you are having, in ours the ESP light stayed on. It is a known issue, easily fixed under warranty. just tell them your brake lights go off now and then.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal