i30 Owners Club

Blown 6 headland bulbs and 2 side lights in 6 months

Offline Mattlostatsea

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
Hi. My company car I30 has had all the recal electrical work done for the headlamp looms but the think keeps blowing bulbs, the recent bulb only lasted 3 days. It's out of warranty now as well. any ideas? Cheers
  • 59 Plate I30 Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If as you say, all electrical work has been properly carried out, then that doesn't leave many options. In your country, I believe there were Hy TSB's released to correct lighting problems. You should check with your service dept to ensure all were carried out.

I have a theory, which may help.

The bulbs are possibly absorbing voltage spikes created by either the alternator or the starter motor back EMF.

- If your car is fitted with the auto light function, don't use it. Switch them on only after engine start.
- Before cranking the engine, turn your fan on to high, this will create an electrical load to absorb any voltage spikes that may be present when cranking.

As your car was attended to under warranty, the lighting issue should still be covered by HY due to previous history. They MAY subsidise the cost of the replacement globes out of goodwill.

Let us know any further developments.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum:  :whsaid:

The fix apparently relates to the earthing of the lights. It might be worth checking any obvious earth leads they have added to ensure they are grounded.

It is a fairly common fault for the CRDi to blow a globe or two a year. Not sure why some blow a lot more and some don't blow any!

Do you drive with headlights on during the day?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
You have a five year old company car?

Look right behind the battery. There are three earth leads bolted to the chassis, are they corroded? If so clean (abrasively) and cover in lithium grease.

For the record the Tsb for the wiring 12 months ago seems to have helped the blowing. Can you see the extra plastic wiring additions with blue ends tucked in behind the lamp houses?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal