i30 Owners Club

2014 i30 Elite (petrol, auto) user report.

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Hi guys,

I'll attempt to update this from time to time and want to share my thoughts so far.

I live in a town on the outskirts of Auckland City and needed to update my ageing Toyota Starlet Glanza 1.3 which had served me well for the last 9 years. My drive to work is about 37 km each way, mostly motorway driving with a demanding steep gradient running about 4-5 Km's at the end. I found my Glanza a drag to drive and a bit small for the type of driving I was doing so after a few promotions decided I was going to treat myself to a new wagon.

I started researching a replacement economical car in the Yaris, Swift, Mazda 2 price range and came to the conclusion the Swift was best value. I went down to our local dealer who also doubled as a Hyundai dealer (I hadn't considered a Hyundai but had seen many on static display at Auckland Airport where I work). I got talking to the dealer and explained what I was looking for and he asked if I had considered the i20, which I said I hadn't. After a test drive and some more research I was sold! It is a great car with grunt and economy. It also comes with four wheel disc brakes, climate control, cruise control, airbags galore etc. far more bells and whistles than the competitors.

While signing papers I lusted over the bigger i30 in the show room and thought how much I'd love to own it due to it's great looks. After the 1000km checkup of the i20, I mentioned I really like that i30 and wouldn't mind taking it for a test drive. WOW, it was so much better in every area! After more consideration and a bit of loose cash to dispose of, I asked the dealer if it was possible to upgrade to the i30 which he said no problem and we went ahead.

1125km on the clock.

Firstly, pride of ownership is very high. It's a gorgeous car to own. It's the first car that I care about enough to consider neutral hp cleaner  :D Its had me researching detailers, wax, leather care, oils, tyres.......this car has me fully engaged. That's a good thing. My cars never got the garage and had to weather out the winters. This one has made me organized things so it is garaged. She even got a name lol. Call me lame but when I walk past the internal garage door, I peak in for a look. I love the lines of this car. I can even excuse the bugle eye front headlamps.

I'm used to the electric steering now which didn't take long. I think it also 'burns' or 'wears' in after a few 100 Km's. I love the instantaneous response. She a perky girl for a 1.8l, overtaking, no worries unless you get a sad guy in a mid life crisis driving a late model Subaru in front of you on an overtaking lane who decides to not let you past.....prick. I love the way it pulls without having to put the foot all the way down. I find it a fun and enjoyable car to drive. Those reviewers who say otherwise are obviously spoilt but also a bit out of tough with the average driver who doesn't get to poll around in an Aston or exotic sports car many times a week.This girl goes around a tight corner without stress or roll no worries. I love the gadgets, blue tooth is cool. Dual climate is useful....no fights with the wife over the temp, I'm an audio geek with a nice tube amp and usually hate car radios. This one is fun and listenable. Not offensive at all compared to many. Fit an finish inside is of high quality and the leather is a pleasure. It looks even better after Meguiar's Gold conditioner. The trim likes it too. I leave the wipers in auto. It's been raining on and off for three weeks. It's great not having to 'manage' the wipers. I find them very accurate and effective. Coupled with the auto defogger, the windscreen is always clear.....I love that system.

So far this car a exceeded expectation, in 95% of all areas (a few little defects in the paint let that score down a bit) and feel I'm engaged enough to continue a long relationship with this brand. It's been a great experience so far.
  • 2016 i30 Elite Limited 2.0L Auto Phantom Black Pearl

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Great post!!   :goodjob:

So, are you happy with the car or not?  I'm not sure from your tone..   :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
So, what's her name  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
LOL I love this car.......she's a beauty!

My wife named her Heidi the Hyundai :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I can see from your post that you are really pkeased you upgraded to th i30.

Wonder why you did not consider it prior to buying the i20?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I can see you've been to the tavern again.  :lol:

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
I can see from your post that you are really pkeased you upgraded to th i30.

Wonder why you did not consider it prior to buying the i20?

I couldn't afford it initially and it was all bad timing but I ended up with spare cash after a renovation, and I'd already purchased the i20. It worked out in the end. I could have lived with the i20 but the i30 is so much better and capable in every respect. It doesn't even burn any more gas as far as I can see.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the testimonial :goodjob:

Deserves a place on the portal page :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Mate,, you honestly couldn't have bought a better car.

My partner and I brought home our 2014 i30 elite 6spd diesel and love it! now we have 2 i30's!

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
It sure is a great car! I'm stoked with it. I love details like the oil filter is at the front and there's a cutout to make it easier to get your hands around it from below. Nice touch!

I was told the i20 had a 'Learning' auto transmission, ie it looked at your driving habits and changed it's gear change habits to your style based on previous history. Does anyone know if the i30 is the same?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
AFAIK, Yes.  :happydance:

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thank you for that great first post Omegaspeedy. I enjoyed reading that. You've made a good choice of car - and model !
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: Sorry I'm a bit late to the party ....

:wts:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
Great write up. They are a very underrated car.
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline omegaspeedy

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Pukekohe
Thanks guys, the car is fantastic. I enjoy it better each time I drive it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal