i30 Owners Club

Glovebox rattle (FD model)

beerman · 10 · 3244

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Why does my glove box rattle and why can't the dealer hear it?

I'm guessing from your comment that you don't rate the GD as highly? Though your lack of love for the CRDI perhaps suggests questionable taste  :twisted:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Welcome, hopefully your time on here won't be short lived....

Ok I'll bite....

Why does my glove box rattle and why can't the dealer hear it?

I'm guessing from your comment that you don't rate the GD as highly? Though your lack of love for the CRDI perhaps suggests questionable taste  :twisted:
You might get other owners response if you start a new thread but I'll answer you here.

Bit hard to help you on that one. I've not had another GD with a rattle in the glovebox. Does it stop if you push against it or hold the button? As for why your dealer can't hear it.....? How many different people have tried? Have you driven the vehicle with them to point it out? Have they driven or just been passenger? I have had many noises where certain people simply can't hear it due to the pitch/tone/frequency not matching with their personal hearing, myself included.

As for rating the GD only time will tell. The FD had its issues but it was a bloody reliable car. And the CRDi is awesome for fuel efficiency. It's just that I've been working on the 2lt for 10 years and can count on one hand the number of engine failures I've seen from manufacturing defects. (Seen plenty of failures due to poor maintenance). The CRDi has some work to do to live up to that in my eyes. In fact I've recently acquired an Accent that will be getting a 2lt installed for hillclimbs
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 16:23:12 by cruiserfied »
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
Some Cee'd-s which are sold in here do have a rattle coming from an area of glovebox, so the Russian owners figured out the sound goes from an airbag deactivating lock. Cee'd and i30 are like brothers, check that up then.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If I remove the glove box the rattle goes......

:link: Glovebox Rattle

It is a bit of a problem.

I've tried padding the glove box in various manners but it hasn't worked.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
beerman
try to pad a passenger air bag deactivating lock (if one is installed there)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 You've found the cause, that's good. This is on an FD is it? I use Tapatalk mostly and had to get online to check your vehicle. I assumed by first post referring to GD's that you were talking about one sorry. I guess you have tried pushing on it to see if you can get it to stop? The FD's did have some glovebox rattles. Mostly with the latch pins inside the glovebox. Usual fix for us was to replace glovebox because it was under warranty. You should still be able to get warranty on this.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Are the latch pins accessible. If so, you could try some electronic heatshrink tubing.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@ Phill,

I might try that...

@ Cruiserfield; the Queensland dealers I have spoken to don't appear that keen to deal with the issue, though I haven't pushed that hard either....Too busy. I figured that they might become a little more enthusiastic to assist me when I'm looking to buy a new one. Which is a shame, because I love my two FD CRDIs.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
That's a shame. Sad to hear these things.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It is mate because you have an excellent product......

Still by 111k on the EL I had done the head twice amongst other things. So small price to pay.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal