i30 Owners Club

Diesel Economy Doesn't Seem Right??

Lubali · 27 · 8053

Offline Lubali

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum from the UK and have a query.

I have a 2011 i30 1.6 CRDi Auto.

The trip computer is currently showing an average of 33.8 MPG. When the tank is empty and I fill to the brim I get a miles to next fill up indicator of 350 - 360 miles.

I do a mix of motorway and town driving - nothing too extreme in either case. But this level of economy seems terrible.

I have had the car about 3 months now. Initially when I saw this I thought to myself well a service is due and it hasn't adjusted to my style of driving.

At present I have a 14 year old Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTLi Auto Petrol that gives about the same economy.

The mileage of the car is 36K. And I have recently just had it serviced.

I was expecting at LEAST 40 MPG for average driving, and then more or less depending on how careful or heavy footed I drive.

I previously was using a 1.5 Mitsubishi Colt DiD Manual Auto Tranmission, and I regularly got 60-70 MPG out of it.

Does anyone know what I can realistically expect to get out of this i30 on UK roads with average style of driving, because to me something seems very wrong here.

Thanks

• 1.6 CRDi Premium Auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You need to do a proper manual check on the economy before you jump to conclusions. The computer mpg display is rarely correct - but your's seems to be way out.

Brim the tank - and I mean literally brim the tank to the point of over-flowing. Note the odometer reading

Now use the car until the fuel level warning comes on and brim the tank again to the point of over-flowing. Note the odometer reading and the amount of fuel added.

The quantity of fuel you add is what the car has consumed since the last refill.
You can now :-
Convert the number of litres to gallons (No. of litres x 0.22 equals gallons).
Subtract one odometer reading from the other to obtain distance covered
Divide this distance by No of gallons used and you will get an accurate mpg figure.

Another check that may be worth doing is to check how accurate your odometer is. I checked mine on a 150 mile journey on the M5 comparing the distance covered as indicated by the motorway kilometre distance boards and my odometer (converted to kilometres). My last 3 cars have all under-read the distance actually covered by between 2.2% and 2.8%. Hence, when the odometer shows I have done 100 miles - I have actually done upwards of 102.5 etc.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Lubali

:wttc:

Try find out the real mpg like Alan said.

Regarding the distance to empty shown at fill up you just can't use for anything good. I've no idea what data Hyundai use to calculate that DTE, but it never makes sense.... :disapp:

If i fill up after ca 1000 km it will show ca 750 or something as DTE...  :confused:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
May be you should reset the ecu as it may still have and just continue adding on with your driving style.

I think you disconnect the battery, some else will either confirm or not.

The car will then record your style of driving and may produce a more accurate result.

Used in tandum with alan ho's suggestion you can see whether the on board readout produces more accurate result.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:link: A quick fuel consumption calculator

Nobody mentioned my economy calculator. :Pout:

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
You seem to be getting better figures than mine, I'm getting about 29-30 mpg knocking around town in 30 mph zone, and there's traffic lights every 1/2 mile or so sometimes shorter. On a run @ 70mph about 50 and @ 60 about 60mpg but thats just reading off the trip computer. I think its still heavy for a small car and a 1.6 engine.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm always getting high 60s in your medieval measure. :winker:

Offline Lubali

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
Thanks for all your replies - will try out the suggestions and report back the results.  :goodjob2:
  • 1.6 CRDi Premium Auto

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Heck after a trip to Adelaide I now realise how you get such fantastic fuel economy Gonz. As Crocodile Dundee would say "Traffic, that's not traffic, come to Sydney, I'll show you REAL traffic." Morning peak hour I was travelling for kilometers on end at the speed limit all the way into the city. Come to Sydney where a 40km trip to work took me 2 hours one day. Then see what economy you get.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

We're keeping it a big secret.  :rofl:

No desire to live in any Eastern States cities.  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm born and bred Melbourne and have driven in every capital in Australia and many more overseas. Yep, Adelaide is the only capital I know where I am guaranteed free all-day city parking on any day of the week. :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Heck after a trip to Adelaide I now realise how you get such fantastic fuel economy Gonz. As Crocodile Dundee would say "Traffic, that's not traffic, come to Sydney, I'll show you REAL traffic." Morning peak hour I was travelling for kilometers on end at the speed limit all the way into the city. Come to Sydney where a 40km trip to work took me 2 hours one day. Then see what economy you get.

Not just about the traffic Con.. It is so flat over there (mostly)  :cool:

Hilly old Tassie knocks the economy about a bit despite the lack of traffic!  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hilly old Tassie knocks the economy about a bit despite the lack of traffic!  :Pout:

Forgot about the lack of hills. Yes drove from one side of Adelaide to the other and didn't have a single hill.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

SUNwindwave
Hello from Ipswich. I've an i30 like yours only manual I'm guessing my 50-55mpg will always be a bit higher than an auto. You mentioned it may be due a service, if the air/fuel filters are in poor condition that will bring down the mpg in my opinion. Once this has been done, may I suggest you buy some injector cleaner? as if your car was only used in town (no long runs) before you bought it, then that may improve things.
Best wishes to you in the new year. Michael

drew peacock
just bought ours today
100 kms on the clock
winter studded tyres and icy roads

getting 49mpg easily..not even having to try

drew peacock
car is doing 5 liters per 100km's now..around 54 mpg...very happy
and that's on winter tyres

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
:link: A quick fuel consumption calculator

Nobody mentioned my economy calculator. :Pout:

Not to worry Gonz I use it all the time  :goodjob2:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Con the trick to getting to work quicker in Sydney is to get up early leave early.
but no solution for the trip home.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm born and bred Melbourne and have driven in every capital in Australia and many more overseas. Yep, Adelaide is the only capital I know where I am guaranteed free all-day city parking on any day of the week. :victory:

Gonz Disabled get free all day parking in Sydney, Surry Hill's must have more disabled drivers than anywhere else in Australia.

i've been to ADL once but used public transport as went on the Indian Pacific, i enjoyed it it was winter.
i got a surprise how short the trains are there & not electric.

If it is free all day parking, is it hard to find a parking spot? don't they have time limits?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Dazz if your motor is running for two hours to cover a distance of 40km you could use about same amount of fuel in 40km as you would use in a country area in 200km, all adds up.
road surface makes a difference too like fine smooth hot mix would let car roll free with less effort that cold mix with blue metal dumped over it. & a lot of pot holes. hill's don't effect economy that much on a diesel, as for every hill you go up you get a free roll down another hill, flat area's can have high wind driving into a strong head wind kills economy too.
ask one of us pushy riders what it is like riding into a strong head wind.
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

John, I didn't drive my CRDi on the mainland, but I did that 5000km drive in my 1st Hybrid. The flatter terrain knocked a couple of points off my economy (in a good way)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
John, I didn't drive my CRDi on the mainland, but I did that 5000km drive in my 1st Hybrid. The flatter terrain knocked a couple of points off my economy (in a good way)

Dazz totally different car, a hi Torque does not get effected a lot by hill's , i drove Sydney to Melbourne via coast road ( extra 200k ) got 4.7L/100k there is a lot of hill's and twisty's in that road.
might just be Tassies climate?

i always get better economy on a long trip than short trips even without traffic, engine oil is always at operating temp on a long trip.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 17:47:12 by Lakes »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I believe I drive economically and yet I averaged around 5.4 L/100kms over the 2 years I had my CRDi whereas you were getting under 5 and Ouri30 (Bob) was getting low 4's .. must be a combo of hills and climate maybe.  :undecided:

Jamie (Fatboy) seems to notice it too..  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Quite flat and definitely no traffic issues where Bob lives. The climate is warmer there, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

drew peacock
done a lot of stopping and starting the last few days
just 39mpg or 7.4l per 100km's

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal