i30 Owners Club

Radio questions

Offline annie49

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
No problems with my 3 month old i30 until last week when suddenly lost AM radio reception. Took the car in to the Hyundai garage & they found the antenna base is faulty. I have to take the car back later this week to have a replacement installed. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Anything else to ask them to do/check at the same time?

Last week we also noticed that when the blue touch screen is pressed, ripples appear near the edges. We feel sure the screen didn't ripple when new. So wondered if i could ask fellow owners please...

- Is it of concern that the touch screen edges ripple?
- Does anyone else have any rippling effect?
- If so does it start to effect the operation of the unit?

Many Thanks
  • i30 petrol auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Greetings annie49, you've opened your posting / thread count.  :goodjob2:

I don't have your model, but the touch screen would be best tested on a couple of their demo vehicles. If it's the same, then end of story, but if not, possibly needs to be replaced. Shouldn't affect the normal operations of the radio.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dennis

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Mount Gambier
Hi, just checked my touch screen, the car is 4 months old now, there is no ripple effect on the screen edges at all, sounds like you should point it out.
  • I30 Premium

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Last week we also noticed that when the blue touch screen is pressed, ripples appear near the edges. We feel sure the screen didn't ripple when new. So wondered if i could ask fellow owners please...

I'd be getting it checked out as the ripple effect suggests the display is perhaps flexing, something that shouldn't be happening under normal use....  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Concerning the rippling problem! do you happen to still have the plastic protector cover still on the screen? if so remove, another thing that can cause what you have explained is pressing to hard on the screen as it only requires the slightest of a touch ( do not press ) " hence the touch screen :wink: "

One other thing you can ask service to do when you go in there is to update the ECU with the latest update released a couple of weeks ago, it fixes many issues with the 1.6, 1.8 and 2ltr petrol models.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What type of issues? ^
Each one has different problems and to get the specifics you'll have to ask Hyundai as I have a 1.6ltr my fixes will be different to yours.

I do know that the 1.8ltr has some fixes for the rough idling and some other problems that weren't mentioned to me as well as the 2ltr's but that was all Hyundai said to me.

Offline annie49

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thanks for your feedback & suggestions. The plastic cover was removed on pick-up day. Don’t think the screen has been pressed heavily as we are familiar with light touch use from using iphone & ipad.

I’ll check the screen on a demo model before before raising the rippling with them. Thanks for the tip re ECU update. I’ll definitely ask them to do that.

Many thanks
  • i30 petrol auto

Offline annie49

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi all,

Just to let you know my am radio reception is now working perfectly after the faulty antenna base was replaced last week. Apparently there was faulty wiring inside. It was covered by warranty. They assured me that I now have the latest version of the ecu software.  I asked about the ripple effect on my radio screen but was told it is normal for a liquid type/lcd screen. I will continue to monitor it and compare with a demo screen when get a chance.

Many thanks for your help.
  • i30 petrol auto

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal