i30 Owners Club

Diesel clutch replacement

ryangus · 22 · 12616

Offline ryangus

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Just bought a 2007 SLX diesel, and the pre-purchase inspection showed the clutch starting to slip under load.  I never noticed anything when driving it, but never got to drive it hard.

Anyway, should it need replacing, any idea of likely cost (with or without flywheel work), and good places to take it (Brisbane northside)?
  • 2007 SLX CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome ryangus,

I can't help with the best repairer but we have several very helpful Brissy members who may be able to, including Beerman, Keith H, Ugly Mongrel  and Agent 31 (Hopefully one or more will see your post)

Clutches have been lasting quite well so not a lot of reported replacements on here, but they are nothing special so I'm guessing around $500?

It's a bit like how long is a piece of string? It depends on whether you shop around for the parts and use a cheap independent or leave it in the hands of your local Hyundai Dealer (who might slug you a grand or more)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
HY in Wollongong quoted me $2,500 for a clutch replacement.  They said there is around 10 hours labour in it (and they charged $135 per hour).
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

HY in Wollongong quoted me $2,500 for a clutch replacement.  They said there is around 10 hours labour in it (and they charged $135 per hour).

That seems crazy (If that is correct it must be a poor design)

Are you there Tim?

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Go to a good independant or NRMA check there hourly my local about$50 per hour
How many k has it got?

Offline dimons

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have a 2011 diesel cw  Wagon which is starting to make some slight clutch noise on takeoff  from standstill. I'm assuming this is a symptom of a developing clutch problem. While the car still has a year of warranty left I'm thinking that Hy are likely to claim this as wear and tear.

The car is due for a service next month. Any suggestions as to how to handle this with the dealer? Is it ok to keep driving in this state for a while yet?

Thinking that if it's not going to be fixed under warranty then it may be cheaper to use my local mechanic who keeps my 12yo Toyota going, and wait a while if possible.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I have a 2011 diesel cw  Wagon which is starting to make some slight clutch noise on takeoff  from standstill. I'm assuming this is a symptom of a developing clutch problem. While the car still has a year of warranty left I'm thinking that Hy are likely to claim this as wear and tear.

The car is due for a service next month. Any suggestions as to how to handle this with the dealer? Is it ok to keep driving in this state for a while yet?

Thinking that if it's not going to be fixed under warranty then it may be cheaper to use my local mechanic who keeps my 12yo Toyota going, and wait a while if possible.

Just mention it at the service and see what they say. If they say wear and tear, get a no obligation quote. Gives you a comparison with your friendly mechanic.  :goodjob:

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

Go to a good independant or NRMA check there hourly my local about$50 per hour
How many k has it got?

My car now has 75,000km on it, but that was what they quoted me if a warranty problem a couple of years ago was just the clutch.

My car has now been making a highish pitch noise like a bearing dying on some take offs and hill starts. Becoming more often.  Not sure if just the release bearing or the clutch itself (someone mentioned fingers in the clutch or something). Happened after reversing up a hill for a very short distance.

Not prepared to ge it fixed yet, especially if it will cost thousands.  If it lasts another 1.5 years I can replace it myself.

HY claims that the clutch only has a 12 month warranty, not that I can find this in any document I gave from them.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yeah, they hate reversing up hills. It is fairly normal to have a limit on clutch warranty for obvious reasons. Although i am sure a couple on here have been given the benefit of the doubt after more than 12 months.

Offline dimons

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
So ok to keep driving with minor clutch noise if Hy won't do a repair under warranty? Not going to strand me or do any damage that would cost me more in the long run?

Certainly will ask the local dealer for a quote for comparison purposes.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I think, without checking mine, Warranty limits are detailed in the service book
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So ok to keep driving with minor clutch noise if Hy won't do a repair under warranty? Not going to strand me or do any damage that would cost me more in the long run?

Certainly will ask the local dealer for a quote for comparison purposes.

I think you should be ok. Hopefully wont let go suddenly! :undecided:

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Noise at take off could be throw out bearing but I suggest spigot bearing if the noise is only happening at those times.
Saw a new model petrol 1-30 having the clutch replaced at the dealers the other week. (driving school car !!)
Certainly looked like 10 hours worth to me, beam across the guards to hold up the engine etc., bit of a mission.
Can Cruiserfield give us the allotted Hyundai time?
  • i-30

Offline dimons

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Should have mentioned 34,000km over four years of mainly city driving. I'm surprised that this amount of use could wear out a clutch, if that's what it turns out to be.

Only 2 drivers both in our 60s and pretty experienced...so go figure.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Should have mentioned 34,000km over four years of mainly city driving. I'm surprised that this amount of use could wear out a clutch, if that's what it turns out to be.

Only 2 drivers both in our 60s and pretty experienced...so go figure.

Some things are hard to understand/explain  :undecided:

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
Resting foot on clutch is common thing in driving schools and can make clutch to feel hard over time.

Good thing is that 1.6 crdi u engine doesn't have dual mass flywheel and clutch kit is around 120€ LUK or 100€ VALEO.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
$2500 bucks :scared: 10hrs :crazy1:
I know the Master Tech at Woolongong and no way would he take anywhere near that to do a clutch. Personally id quote 4-5 hrs.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
dimons I have come across the noise I think you are talking about. I narrowed it down to the mechanical side of the clutch plate. (Springs, dampner section)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

That seems crazy (If that is correct it must be a poor design)

Are you there Tim?

Sometimes its hard to tell if im here or not :confused:

Offline diesel1984

• 3rd Gear
For 10 hours he could rebuild engine and change clutch.
Yes there is some extra job for subframe removal.
If you have right tools... 3 hours for removal and install with gearbox oil change.
  • 1.6crdi

Offline dimons

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
dimons I have come across the noise I think you are talking about. I narrowed it down to the mechanical side of the clutch plate. (Springs, dampner section)

Thanks for your research cruiserfied. So far, currently the clutch still seems to be working ok - just this noise issue.

I'll talk to the dealer when it goes in for a service next month and see what they can diagnose.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for your research cruiserfied. So far, currently the clutch still seems to be working ok - just this noise issue.

I'll talk to the dealer when it goes in for a service next month and see what they can diagnose.

Mention what Tim has said (He is a highly rated master Hyundai technician) It might help them sort it quickly.  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal