i30 Owners Club

Installation of new stereo for a 2011 i30 (basic model)

fartroice · 31 · 20976

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hi guys, so this is my first post on this forum. I really need help.
The original stereo, although it may be half good, it isn't good enough. I want to install a double DIN Pioneer head unit, however, I can't seem to find the correct dash piece to suit.
I went to a car sound place but they have to speak to Hyundai directly. I believe that will be a very costly exercise.
My question is, where should I search for a reasonably priced double din adaption dash piece to suit my 2011 Hyundai i30 (1.6L manual, basic model). Preferably in AUS, I'm impatient. ;)
Also any wiring tips would be helpful, I've always worked on older car stereo systems I just don't know what I am going to find back there.
Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated.
  • Hyundai i30 1.6l Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Patience is character building. I would suggest eBay as a source, but you'll have to wait. If you do choose this method, ensure you get the right size and for a RHD vehicle.

All connections at the rear are by multi pin plugs, except the aerial of course.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Multi pin connections? So you're saying they're all singular wires? No connector at the back, just, like, spade connectors (speaker connectors)?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No, I'm saying multiple wires into connectors. 2 IIRC

Confirm, you have the FD Model.

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
And just for reference, this is the stereo I wish to install.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/251862673964

Thanks for your help btw.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:link: Pioneer AVH X5700DAB DAB Media Player With Aust Pioneer Warranty | eBay

Very nice! I like pioneer stuff! :goodjob:

Have you browsed this section thoroughly? I am sure there is stuff related to doing this back a bit.. I would check but off out shortly. I think it is pretty straight forward if you can still source the correct RH double din faceplate.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

:link: Pioneer AVH X5700DAB DAB Media Player With Aust Pioneer Warranty | eBay

Very nice! I like pioneer stuff! :goodjob:

Have you browsed this section thoroughly? I am sure there is stuff related to doing this back a bit.. I would check but off out shortly. I think it is pretty straight forward if you can still source the correct RH double din faceplate.

Yeah I have always bought Pioneer gear as it is a good price and generally decent sound (enough for me anyway, I'm no audiophile).

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This should be the rear view of your existing set.

:link: FD Radio rear.png - Google Drive

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
This should be the rear view of your existing set.

:link: FD Radio rear.png - Google Drive

Thanks, that will definitely help. There isn't a whole lot of information anywhere for those radios, I assume you just need to know where to look. Haha.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You said it.  :goodjob2:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
First of all - :welcome:

Hmmm... damn I thought I had posted this already - but I hadn't.   Here is the pin-out label from the top of an FD-01 unit...

NOTE: '+12V Ignition' and 'Batt(+)' are swapped as regards to their position in many headunits and is a common 'gotcha'.   The ISO :link: ISO 10487 std. does not define pin functions, rather only physical aspects of the connectors.

Hope that helps with wire/pin mapping for connecting the aftermarket.

I think there are/were a couple of topics covering FD fascia removal - :link: i30 Radio removal ? is one (though most of the images are gone) - note that one of the remaining images seems to show undoing a metal bracket holding the radio before fascia removal... it isn't necessary (they aren't connected - fascia simply fits over and surrounds radio face).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:31:12 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
First of all - :welcome:

Hmmm... damn I thought I had posted this already - but I hadn't.   Here is the pin-out label from the top of an FD-01 unit...

NOTE: '+12V Ignition' and 'Batt(+)' are swapped as regards to their position in many headunits and is a common 'gotcha'.   The ISO :link: ISO 10487 std. does not define pin functions, rather only physical aspects of the connectors.

Hope that helps with wire/pin mapping for connecting the aftermarket.

I think there are/were a couple of topics covering FD fascia removal - :link: i30 Radio removal ? is one (though most of the images are gone) - note that one of the remaining images seems to show undoing a metal bracket holding the radio before fascia removal... it isn't necessary (they aren't connected - fascia simply fits over and surrounds radio face).

Thanks ibrokeit, hope I don't break it. Sorry for the delay in reply, I've been busy sourcing all of the items required. I am ready to install and will have a finsished photo for all to see. I got the fascia from the ebay seller mentioned earlier, plus, the stereo and DAB+ aerial from RYDA.com. (Their prices are hard to beat). Thanks everyone for their input and I will be back soon with a finalised photo.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:happydance:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Just posted this How-To - hopefully it collates and/or covers most questions regarding removing/replacing the FD body headunits.   Been meaning to do it for a while.

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Hey guys, sorry for the huge delay. Anyway, I have installed the new radio with aftermarket fascia and it looks good if you aren't too picky. The USB and AUX we're annoying as hell. I got the AUX to work but the USB wouldn't, so I installed an extension USB cable and then the AUX didn't work. It was the worst. So now I just have an AUX and USB in the glove box and the two inputs in the centre console are dead. I will try to upload a photo but last time I did it wouldn't let me. Cheers!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :goodjob2:
I've always liked Pioneer gear.
I have no idea where it is built these days or how it ranks, etc, but old habits die hard and when I was younger I was a Pioneer buyer.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
:goodjob2:
I've always liked Pioneer gear.
I have no idea where it is built these days or how it ranks, etc, but old habits die hard and when I was younger I was a Pioneer buyer.  :)

Yeah Doggie 1, I've been Pioneer from the start but never like this. It's a pretty good stereo, including digital radio, usb, aux, cd, dvd music/video, video from usb and heaps more. I should probably read the manual. ;)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey guys, sorry for the huge delay. Anyway, I have installed the new radio with aftermarket fascia and it looks good if you aren't too picky. The USB and AUX we're annoying as hell. I got the AUX to work but the USB wouldn't, so I installed an extension USB cable and then the AUX didn't work. It was the worst. So now I just have an AUX and USB in the glove box and the two inputs in the centre console are dead. I will try to upload a photo but last time I did it wouldn't let me. Cheers!

Regards USB and AUX - weird.   From memory they have nothing, electrically, to do with each other - separate 'GND' etc. - for the inputs in the centre console.   The only thing I can think of is some form of bad connection - and getting one thing to work would bump the other and cause it to stop.

Glovebox seems like a reasonable work-around though potentially annoying if you want to access something you have plugged in.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Looks good BTW!

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

Regards USB and AUX - weird.   From memory they have nothing, electrically, to do with each other - separate 'GND' etc. - for the inputs in the centre console.   The only thing I can think of is some form of bad connection - and getting one thing to work would bump the other and cause it to stop.

Glovebox seems like a reasonable work-around though potentially annoying if you want to access something you have plugged in.

Hey ibrokeit, just so you know, I work in the electrical industry. I couldn't fault my work and I know what to look for. I don't think the signals go direct to the radio and vice versa. I wired it up exactly to the schematics (supplied in an earlier post) and the AUX worked, USB didn't. Installed the USB into the glove box and the AUX stopped working. There must be some barrier or electronic component in the way, USB might be externally powered from a separate module. Who knows.

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Looks good BTW!

Thanks for the compliment. However, the unit is a bit off centre to the fascia or the other way around. Best I could get it. 😏

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks good BTW!

Thanks for the compliment. However, the unit is a bit off centre to the fascia or the other way around. Best I could get it. 😏

Must be very minor (probably only you will notice it)  :goodjob:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Hey ibrokeit, just so you know, I work in the electrical industry. I couldn't fault my work and I know what to look for. I don't think the signals go direct to the radio and vice versa. I wired it up exactly to the schematics (supplied in an earlier post) and the AUX worked, USB didn't. Installed the USB into the glove box and the AUX stopped working. There must be some barrier or electronic component in the way, USB might be externally powered from a separate module. Who knows.

Ahh - I see, yes you would! As do I - my tertiary qualifications are in Electrotechnology, as was 7 odd years of work, god knows how many times I had to fix faults that were bad conncetions (usually due to some action the reporter was incorrectly, or not taking care in, doing :crazy2: ).   Also bad solder joints on SMT components causing faults when PCBs flexed (such as only when clamped to test fixutre, or only when screwed to case) - gah!

As I said weird, and now a bit curious.   I would probably go poke around and measure things out - as if it isn't directly connected that would be useful infro to know about - if it wasn't such a hassle to access the damn things.   It should 'Just Work!TM'   :(

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Looks good BTW!

I can see it (well I think I can) - the gray 'bars' immediately either side of the screen... there appears to be another darker bar next to the one on the left (between the gray bar and fascia surround) not present per sae on the right side.  Also top-left and bottom-right appear to have a gap between unit and fascia surround.  There is also what appears to some metal at the very top - but I suspect that a) trying to hide it would expose some near bottom; and b) it might not be noticeable by an adult sitting in either seat due viewing angle.

Making a bezel of some sort to close dimensions of the headunit's face would hide them - but is unlikely to be worth the effort (unless your doing audio comps., etc.)

Still reckon that it looks good!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Looks good BTW!

I can see it (well I think I can) - the gray 'bars' immediately either side of the screen... there appears to be another darker bar next to the one on the left (between the gray bar and fascia surround) not present per sae on the right side.  Also top-left and bottom-right appear to have a gap between unit and fascia surround.  There is also what appears to some metal at the very top - but I suspect that a) trying to hide it would expose some near bottom; and b) it might not be noticeable by an adult sitting in either seat due viewing angle.

Making a bezel of some sort to close dimensions of the headunit's face would hide them - but is unlikely to be worth the effort (unless your doing audio comps., etc.)

Gee thanks... I was trying to make him feel better! :rofl:

Offline fartroice

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Yeah, I will get to it eventually. It doesn't really bother me a whole deal. I had it smack bang in the middle but then I had to take the fascia off again to do a bit more work. I'll get it right, just not yet. Haha :D

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Gee thanks... I was trying to make him feel better! :rofl:

:rofl: I know.   But I am a bit like that - knowing something isn't quite up to what we want it to be on something we did.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal