Suspension creaks and noise

baldy1967 · 22 · 11518

Offline baldy1967

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      welling
hi members found this forum trying to search for my i30 problems
i30 crdi 2008 premium 30k
only had car around a month car all ready had to have new clutch, but now weather has got colder im getting like a hollow bang from front suspension (sounds like from front) when i go over any bump in road also when i go over speed humps car seems to creak from front and rear, when ever i take it back to garage i get the usuall C**p that cant here it and today was told thats its because weather is cold that it makes it a normal bang and all cars sound like this when weather is cold well was +6 out so dreading the colder weather when i drive out skiing, any ideas what could be common faults etc can then offer this ideas to main dealer which is a kia dealer thanks in advance

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Baldy .. your Moniker is pretty informative .. we know how old you are and what you look like  :rofl:

Sorry to hear about your problems. You have been unlucky  :disapp: If you have been browsing the forum you will see the i30 is generally trouble free...

From what you have experienced so far it sounds like your car may have been abused or worse still, repaired after a major shunt  :blubber:

Have you tried to track the cars history? Company car or Ex-rental maybe  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't know where you're from, but there are many members in cold places without this problem. So what you're being told is a load of poo.

As you bought the car 2nd hand, & it's only got 30k on it the only suggestion I can offer is the rubber bushes may need some form of rubber lube to stop the creaking.

I have a theory about the hollow noise & I hope I'm wrong, but, if the car has had an accident, some repairers do not use new parts for replacements. You may have suspension parts that are correct for your vehicle, but have done a lot more kms than the rest of the car. Repairers are very good at painting etc, so it's really hard to know if it's been previously damaged. I would have a trusted suspension shop, check to see if the wear on all rubber components is the same, ie left compared to right and the right condition for it's kms. Good luck  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Baldy...   I am further north than you and therefore getting colder weather and no wierd noises when I go over speed humps.   Perhaps you could try another dealership and or ask them not to trivialise your worries and disrespect you???

Good luck..  also mention the i30 owners club that might hav e some effect  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Welcome on Board

As mentioned previously, got be bushes etc, but that would create a knocking sound.
IF i am correct in thinking, I had a similar sound, which sounded hollow, going over ramps etc at a slowish speed.
The reason I found out, which was causing this weired creaky sound, was the  dust covers on the shocks had come loose from the housing, a common issue apparently, not a safety hassard etc. (Dust sleeve, is the plastic part which covers the metal solenoid of the shock, normally should be attached and has a crumple accordion type layer at t he top to allow it to expand, condense.)

Mine got re-glued with a strong substance (not sure) let to sit for haf n hour or so, and that did sort the issue out big time. However recently its come back again. Way to see is to jack your car up enough the shock etc is at full extension, take the wheels off, (one at a time, and remember to chock the cars other wheel(s) and never get under the car when supported by a jack only) and see if any of these dust covers have actually came lose, causing the grease round the shock to dry up a bit maybe.

:)
Best of luck, if ur garage are being difficult about it, take it to another one :)
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Baldy

I was cruising around in here last nigt, and found this, I think that describes just your problem.

It is a list of service bulletins, hit the link and scroll down and find this topic:

20.05.2010  HFE09-21-P261-HDFD
            (REVISED: see HFE10-21-P060-HDFD) FRONT STRUT NOISE REPAIR (FROM SHOCK ABSORBER'S BUMBER-STOP)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6610.0

To those of you that think the repair shop is disrespectng him, please be aware of, that if the costumer cant show the problem, then there is no warranty case, at least thats the rules I had to work with when I was a foreman at a VW-Skoda dealer. I dont think its much different at other brands.
It is also very difficult for the mechanic to find and fix an error he havent experienced.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
at least thats the rules I had to work with when I was a foreman at a VW-Skoda dealer. I dont think its much different at other brands.

:happydance: Looks like you are going to be yet another handy person to have around  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
from memory,some of the 08 model i30's had a front strut fault that caused the strut to clunk.  :idea: i remember reading this in the forum a while back,possibly in a tsb.   :winker:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
Hello!
 In Poland, many users have this problem, especially occurring in winter. It was described in https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5005.msg54680#msg54680

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

there's nothing wrong with your English Argus.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
Hi I have the same 08 premium CRDI at around 30k the front drop links were replaced as they were clunking over low speed bumps, may be worth checking out.

Offline syecadelic

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Carrickferugs, Northern Ireland, UK

• My other car has no roof :O Mk1 MX5 1.8
Hi I have the same 08 premium CRDI at around 30k the front drop links were replaced as they were clunking over low speed bumps, may be worth checking out.
Same here, but my garage told me, i didn't realise, as i thought it was just the lower profile tyres causing it
  • Premium 1.6 CRDi 2008 MY

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my hatch squeak's and creeks when i enter and exit a drive way but its lowered.  :winker: it didn't do it prior to being lowered.  :twisted:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Sounds like stress from the modified suspension being transmitted into the body of the vehicle. The suspension will be stiffer due to less available travel. Price you pay for modifications I guess. You can't have your cake and eat it too.  :(

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
my hatch squeak's and creeks when i enter and exit a drive way but its lowered.  :winker: it didn't do it prior to being lowered.  :twisted:
I think that's because the parts of the suspension is working in other areas than before the car was lowered. If there's squeak's and creeks then there is something wrong, and you shouldn't just accept that.

I had the same problem when I mounted some auxiliary springs In my Nissan Primera, it turned out to be the shock absorbers that couldn't find out to work in another area than usual. New shock absorbers solved the problem.

Did your car have many miles on the clock before you lowered it..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
My car has developed a suspension creak/clunk in the last 6 months.  It sounds like it is from the right front.  It happens when I change direction (forward to reverse or reverse to forward).  It also happens if you are on the power and suddenly lift off.  I mentioned it at the last service and they said they had lubricated all suspension components, but the noise was still there on the way home.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
middy

You should demonstrate the noise to the service manager and ask the it be rectified by whatever means necessary.   :neutral:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Mine looks lowered as standard... Is that the case on the 2008 1.6 Petrol Premium anyone know? Creakless too  :goodjob:
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Pip
My car has developed a suspension creak/clunk in the last 6 months.
Could also be a loose engine mount or even the exhaust banging on something.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Mine looks lowered as standard... Is that the case on the 2008 1.6 Petrol Premium anyone know? Creakless too  :goodjob:
your wheels give it that stance Keith.  :idea:

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
middy

You should demonstrate the noise to the service manager and ask the it be rectified by whatever means necessary.   :neutral:

The trick is getting someone to go with you.  I said I could demonstrate the problem if someone wanted to come along but no one was available.  It was actually two problems that I needed to demonstrate at the time.  The suspension clunk and an abnormal turbo/induction system noise.  The turbo problem had started intermittently and slowly got worse over 12 months until the noise was constant.  The car still seemed OK but at constant speed and light throttle there was a loud high pitched sound over the top of the normal turbo noise (Imagine the sound of tiny ball bearings vibrating on a metal tray).  I don't want to hijack this suspension thread with tales of abnormal turbo noises, but the point is that at the time of service the noise was there all the time and as plain as the nose on your face and if someone had gone for a drive at that point they would have heard it.  But on pick up at the end of the day the mechanic "couldn't recreate the noise" and suggested it was "probably normal turbo noise the customer was hearing"   :rolleyes:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
your wheels give it that stance Keith.  :idea:

Good point Steve & well presented lol!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal