i30 Owners Club

Which wax products are you using at the moment?

lyon · 31 · 8326

Offline lyon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Melbourne
Tried searching the forum but most threads were few years old so I'm wondering which wax are you guys using at the moment for your i30?

I've only washed my i30 Creamy White with Turtle Rinseless Wash & Wax so far but I know it's not a proper wax (more like an added tiny wax to existing one). Car is 3 weeks new so I think it doesn't have any wax on it yet.

So... which product you are using at the moment to wax your car?
  • i30 Premium 2014, Creamy White, 1.8L Petrol, Auto

Offline lyon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Melbourne
I wash with this :link: ULTIMATE WASH N WAX | Meguiar's

and wax with this :link: ULTIMATE LIQUID WAX | Meguiar's

Thanks! Gonna grab the Ultimate Liquid Wax later down the year. My i30 is still less than a month old; some people suggesting to wax it only after a year or some months since it's new

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I wash with this :link: ULTIMATE WASH N WAX | Meguiar's

and wax with this :link: ULTIMATE LIQUID WAX | Meguiar's

Thanks! Gonna grab the Ultimate Liquid Wax later down the year. My i30 is still less than a month old; some people suggesting to wax it only after a year or some months since it's new
Never heard of that being mentioned ever, the quicker you get a wax on it the quicker the paint is protected.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Berber

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Nottingham
I use Autoglym. After all if it is good enough for Aston Martin................
  • i30 CRDi Sport

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only problem with Autoglym is the High Definition Wax, it looks nice but if it touches any of the unpainted/black plastics there stuffed and even methylated spirits wont remove the haze damage it leaves behind.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I use Veet now, the wife was getting too much pleasure with the waxing malarky.....   :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Only problem with Autoglym is the High Definition Wax, it looks nice but if it touches any of the unpainted/black plastics there stuffed and even methylated spirits wont remove the haze damage it leaves behind.

AutoGlym USED to be the hobbyists wax to use, but in reality now the SRP is really chalky and actually quite hard work especially when compared to Meguiars, Poorboys, Dodo Juice, AutoFinesse, Autobrite etc etc.  also as mentioned here even the basic AG SRP leaves marks on black plastics which are a bitch to remove, the newer products are much kinder to the plastics, some are even advertised as being "usable" on your trim.

I find the liquid waxes less durable than the pastes, I am a big fan of the carnauba pastes such as Poorboys Nattys Blue, applied with a foam applicator sprayed with a little detail spray it can be applied smoothly in a nice even layer, does not require the paintwork to be "cool to the touch" and can be applied in direct sunlight.

Have a look in members other motors at both my old i40 and current Cee'd, both threads show the products I have used and have pictures of the results.

Also another post of mine here :link: Detailing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 21:29:48 by bumpkin »
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
One of my friends recommends Surgi Wax.

I've never seen it sold in Halfords so haven't tried it myself - but she swears by it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've seen your results Bumpkin and they come up very nice indeed :goodjob2:

Offline coralrover

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Grefrath
Best Polish I've ever used is "Ice" by Turtle Wax.

It's not an aggressive polish you don't need to use pressure when applying.   It's so easy to put on, no rubbing just smear on, with the foam applicator, and wait a little. Comes off a treat and you can use it on rubber and any other black parts etc and it does not go white.
The shine is just fantastic, it's so slippery that you can hardly lean against the car without sliding off.
I only need to use it max 2 times a year and it still beads.

You can get engine 'detailer' and some other things in the same range.

Offline lyon

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      South Melbourne
Best Polish I've ever used is "Ice" by Turtle Wax.

Thanks, I've actually ordered the Ice sprayer version (not a full wax kit) from Amazon last week. Can't wait to give it a go  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Turtle Wax products are fine as far as cheap products go ( my parents still use it as that's what they grew up with :disapp: ) but don't expect the same results/protection as you would get with the more advanced products on the market, just sayin :)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It's winter here now so I have freshly applied Collinite 476S

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Lorian
It's winter here now ...

Not yet it isn't (Dec 21) :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I swear by Meguiar's products.  I've used them previously on another car.

When I get back from my next swing I plan to do the "Full Monty" on the car.  Start with a wash, then a "clay bar", then paint repair, polish, and finally a wax.  It should take an afternoon and half a dozen beers.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Start with a wash, then a "clay bar", then paint repair, polish, and finally a wax.  It should take an afternoon and half a dozen beers.
Surely your new car doesn't need clay baring and paint repair yet :Shocked:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Start with a wash, then a "clay bar", then paint repair, polish, and finally a wax.  It should take an afternoon and half a dozen beers.
Surely your new car doesn't need clay baring and paint repair yet :Shocked:

A new car wouldn't, but it is three years old (I bought it second hand).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I swear by Meguiar's products.  I've used them previously on another car.

When I get back from my next swing I plan to do the "Full Monty" on the car.  Start with a wash, then a "clay bar", then paint repair, polish, and finally a wax.  It should take an afternoon and half a dozen beers.

:agreed:
I use Meguiars on most of my cars.
Zymol on my top classics.
I spent nearly a thousand dollars on a car care system from Zymol and it is fantastic but I can't afford to use it on everyday cars.
Meguiars is great though.
For those new to the forum, search for Hemmi's posts on his i30 in Iceland that he used Meguiars on.
It will convert you.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
For those new to the forum, search for Hemmi's posts on his i30 in Iceland that he used Meguiars on.
It will convert you.
That would be here :link: A day with Meguiars (HOW TO GET YOUR i30 LOOKING LIKE HEMMI's) He's got everything that I use except Tech wax was good but they moved on to "Ultimate" as the new superior product now :goodjob2:

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I've been using Meguiars products since 2001 and found it to be top notch stuff.

I used to use another product also after I've waxed it and it was from Bentley it was a petroleum based liquid and you would apply a light film of this stuff on with a cloth a panel at a time  and soon as it started to turn cloudy you would buff it off and it would bring a deep shine to my black beemer, but sadly I've never been able to buy it for ages and it only came in small bottles but it would go a long way.

Also read the link Craig put up about hemmi, first off excellent detailing Hemmi, i use to spend all weekend getting the car ready for shows and i take my hat off to Andrew Spira from motoractive.au. How many companies is there that would send off goodies to the other side of the world to someone that as not bought any goods directly from them, top marks Andrew.
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
I don't wax :-[, oh you mean the car, no I just use the Armourall wash and wax stuff, gives a decent shine. :goodjob:
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

I used to use another product also after I've waxed it and it was from Bentley it was a petroleum based liquid and you would apply a light film of this stuff on with a cloth a panel at a time  and soon as it started to turn cloudy you would buff it off and it would bring a deep shine to my black beemer, but sadly I've never been able to buy it for ages and it only came in small bottles but it would go a long way.

You should have a look at Autoglym High Gloss Protection, it is the same idea as you are describing.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
My car had a treatment as part of the delivery. I got an extra bottle of the stuff so thats what i'll be using for the time being.

It's called Wax Guard

https://www.waxguard.nl/page.php?id=3
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
cheers guys, I'll keep a eye out for them
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal