i30 Owners Club

Cruise control failure, real head scratcher..

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
Approx 4 months ago, not long after the 45,000km service,  my cruse control failed.  it would turn on, just wouldnt actually set... now its been back 6 times, and finally Hyundai have found the source of the fault.    lets just say, its cost Hyundai approx $7000 to find and fix it, but in the end it was a $300 part...   i bet you can never guess what it was. 

apparently my car has been the first failure of its type in Oz. so rare that even the dealer parts and and service manuals are being updated by Hyundai for all dealers australia wide..    till i get my car back, ill continue to enjoy driving the 1000km old new I30 they have given me as a replacement.. 
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting (guess it wasn't the ECU, guess that would be worth a lot more than $300??)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Was it that it permanently refused to set?
Because it happened to me quite a few times and the cause of it was that I haven't pressed the brake pedal since I started the car (driving away from the motorway stop). Now, when it happens, I check that no one is right behind me, step lightly on the brakes and cruise control starts functioning normally.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Was it a steering angle sensor, Ultralights?
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Brake light switch?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I have also been having intermittent problems with my cruise control not setting. I can get it to turn on but not "set". I press my steering wheel controls several times in no particular order and suddenly it functions correctly.
I thought I was going crazy and had forgotten the correct sequence to start it.
I am having trouble reproducing the problem at the dealer due to its intermittent nature.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This cruise control issue was well documented.  It was even mentioned in one of the new car reviews when the i30 first came out. This was one of the problems I hoped my car didn't inherit when I bought it.

I'm not sure if they are telling the truth when they say it's not a problem they've seen.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Don't keep us all in suspense.  What is it?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
This cruise control issue was well documented.  It was even mentioned in one of the new car reviews when the i30 first came out. This was one of the problems I hoped my car didn't inherit when I bought it.

I'm not sure if they are telling the truth when they say it's not a problem they've seen.

Yep I can recall one of the long term reviews I read detailing an issue with the cruise control. Given the lack of an appearance on here, I had thought it was fixed.

70,000k and mine still works fine
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

Get my car back today,  the dealer replaced the steering wheel, again the third steering wheel ow since new, replaced brake switch, throttle position sensor, clutch disengage switch, then the ECU which cost $4500, new clock and stereo, apparently the clock spring is connected into the cruise control circuit somehow,  and finally after sending the car to the hyundai technical centre in western sydney, they found the fault was a...
Neutral position sensor in the gearbox. 

according to the dealer, this part is not listed on any parts lists, or the circuit diagrams for the cruise control circuit, or in any diagnostics and workshops manual for the car.

but must admit, the dealer has been great throughout all the dramas, and gave me new (below 1000km old) loan cars while sorting all this out...   so relieved now...
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Who was the dealer, they deserve a plug and a pat on the back.

:clapping: Good dealer.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

the dealership was Tynans at Kirrawee.   i was hopeing they would give me a veloster as a loaner car, but an I30 active was all i got, cant complain though.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
the dealership was Tynans at Kirrawee.   i was hopeing they would give me a veloster as a loaner car, but an I30 active was all i got, cant complain though.
:goodjob2: :goodjob:

The void between a good and bad dealer can be huge... :Shocked:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hi Ultralights,

Is yours a manual or automatic. Is a neutral position sensor also in a manual?

Thanks
Michael

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

yep, mine is the 6 speed manual.  the neutral switch will disengage the cruise control if you knock it out of gear without using the clutch. or so the dealer service guy tells me now they know the manuals actually have a neutral switch.
  • SLX CRDI U2

Pip
It is of course possible to drive without using the clutch at all if you are proficient with rev matching but more to the point, if you are coasting in neutral (an entirely possible mode and more likely) then it should be impossible to engage CC lest the engine revs to destruction.  It's something I never thought of before but clearly a neutral detector is needed.

I guess all cars have that?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
If asked, I would be sure only auto's had a neutral switch.. :undecided:

But hey, we never get to old to learn something new. Great info, Ultralights.. :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal