i30 Owners Club

Steering Wheel Volume Control, Intermittent Fault

Larry · 9 · 4983

Offline Larry

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Does anyone else have this problem. When using wheel volume buttons, up or down, the volume responds correctly. But on some occasions the volume goes 'on it's own' to MAX if using + button or down to MIN if using - button. It's as if I am holding the button down, which I am not. There is nothing I can do, doesn't matter if I press buttons after this fault, except turn off the radio. When it shoots to MAX or MIN I can turn it back up or down with the dash volume button but as soon as I let the dash control go it just goes back to MAX or MIN. WestPoint Indooroopilly, Brisbane have had the car in on 4 or 5 occasions each time stating it is fixed. So far - two new radios, replaced clock spring, replaced wheel volume buttons and on the last occasion took 5 weeks in their workshop, checked everything and changed harness, told me fixed. I tried it before taking it and fault still there. They have now said they can't think of anything else they can do. The car is a May2013 built i30 GD auto petrol. This problem was noticed just a week after I bought it and I suspect was there all the time, just that I didn't notice it in the first week. I presume I will have to contact Hyundai direct in Korea as WestPoint state they have worked with 'Sydney' without result. This very disappointing as the car is otherwise 'great'. It's only a minor fault but I bought it new and feel it is reasonable that the various controls work properly. 
  • 2013 GD i30 auto petrol hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's not a fault that I've heard before but I agree, it's a new car and the controls should function correctly.
I'd start with the dealer principal and if no joy approach Hyundai Australia.
Someone else might have some other ideas.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The simple answer is don't analyse more than you need to get results out of the dealer under warranty. In the interest of technical curiosity, this happened to a 68cm TV I had and was caused by the plastic film loom between the receiver box and motherboard developing a crease. This created changes in the resistance of the conductors resulting in erroneous resistance values interpreted by the control chip. I suspect that the fix will be likewise a switch or loom or contact replacement, somewhere where mechanical activity has stressed the connection. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! A lot of work done already for no result.

I would try contacting Hyundai head office by email documenting everything done so far. Hopefully, they have had the same problem somewhere else in the world and know the fix!  :confused:

A relatively minor problem, but very frustrating all the same!  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I feel a bit sorry for both you and the dealer, you have had a lot of work done for nil result. Not the dealer's fault.

Problems like this are very difficult to track down, as in the case mentioned by The Gonz, who would think of a problem like that. Personally, I would suggest rather than touching anything in the existing steering wheel, the whole wheel is replaced as a unit. the stress points are most likely to occur there and everything else has been replaced already.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Larry

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for early responses and yes I do not blame the dealership, they have put in a lot of time and as with most if not all intermittent faults have had a lot of frustration with it. I now know the workshop manager as one of my family. I should have put that in my initial post. However, the problem persists. I wish I could 'push' the intermittent fault to become a total fault because it could then be properly identified and fixed.  My inquiries to date have produced anecdotal comments from a Hyundai sales manager at another dealership of same issues with an i45, and someone else with another car, not Hyundai, but can't recall the make.
  • 2013 GD i30 auto petrol hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Dealership participation varies a lot and I was wondering how you have managed to get so much work done without pulling their teeth out. Has anyone suggested the complete wheel replacement option to you before ? You say the wiring loom has been replaced, however, aren't ALL the wires in a car bundled together branching off in all directions. If so, how could just the radio wiring be replaced. As the wiring and the radio are fixed items that shouldn't move and given the radio has been replaced twice, you'd have to be highly suspicious of the moving parts which are all incorporated in the steering wheel, so I say toss it. Can you get one from a car that works, temporarily, until a replacement arrives.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Fault find by gross (black box) elimination and half split rule, meaning half way between the radio and the button, change out major items to one side until the fault is fixed, then reintroduce the faulty half and split that again by elimination until the one component is identified - not for you to do but for the dealer with a ready supply of known good components. There's no escaping a solution using this method.:victory:

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.           - Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.           - Arthur Conan Doyle

Great quote.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal