Alans new Phone.

John B · 13 · 2627

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Quote from: AlanHo
( As quoted by Alan.)  I finished up buying a Samsung C3590 flip phone in the hope it will do most of what I need. If it is OK, I will get a second one for my wife, who resolutely refuses to use a touch screen phone. Her present very basic phone has mostly blank keys after a few years of use. (End of quote.)

Got one of those great little Samsung flip phones earlier model S5511T  but could not connect it to the i30 via bluetooth. Ended up getting a HTC Desire android smart phone. I can understand your frustration with the touch screen ,you should see the funny language I end up with when trying to text, much to the amusement of the grandkids with their i Phones. :snigger: Might find out if the C3590 will connect to my i30. Like you all I need to do is phone people and text as I am on prepaid with no data I don't use anything else. Do like the way you can answer calls in the car system though. :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:19:37 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My expectation about connecting the phone by Bluetooth to the car are low. If it works at all it will possibly work only to receive calls. I will consider myself lucky if it also downloads the phone book to the car.

This will be fine with me - I hardly ever make a call from the car but it would be nice to be able to receive one - especially with my hearing loss and the need for hearing aids. But read on.........

On the subject of hearing aids - my new ones have Bluetooth and can be paired with my mobile phone - or the car or both. The system gives precedence to the phone - so if I am connected to the car by Bluetooth and a phone call is received - the car connection is dropped in favour of the phone - but this process takes quite a few seconds, by which time the caller may well have rung off. I intend having a play with the various settings to see which is best - but this is low down on my list of jobs outstanding.

I am expecting the new phone in the next two days and will of course try it in the car. I will post the results here.

The best phones I have owned over the years have all been clamshell ones because the screen and keypad are normally much bigger than candy bar phones. In addition, the screen is protected from the scratches that are a consequence of the phone having to share a trouser pocket with other stuff. I especially liked a 2005 Motorola Razr which was very thin and pocket friendly. It's a pity they don't make it today with the current bells, whistles and long battery life we enjoy on modern phones.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
John if the Samsung has Bluetooth connectivity,you will be able to connect it to the I30,given it has bluetooth
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
John if the Samsung has Bluetooth connectivity,you will be able to connect it to the I30,given it has bluetooth

Hi Rick and thank you . When I went to pick up the car the dealer tried to connect it and it would not, he told me not all phones will connect but you now have me thinking and I will try it again. Don't know if you can help me on this question, can I try to connect my old Samsung phone with a different sim card & phone number  while my later HTC is still connected ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

The best phones I have owned over the years have all been clamshell ones because the screen and keypad are normally much bigger than candy bar phones. In addition, the screen is protected from the scratches that are a consequence of the phone having to share a trouser pocket with other stuff. I especially liked a 2005 Motorola Razr which was very thin and pocket friendly. It's a pity they don't make it today with the current bells, whistles and long battery life we enjoy on modern phones.

And you don't get all those finger marks all over the screen like them touch screens. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

And you don't get all those finger marks all over the screen like them touch screens. :goodjob2:

I don't get that problem - I wash my hands at least once a week - (when there is an "R" in the month)...... :whistler:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

I don't get that problem - I wash my hands at least once a week - (when there is an "R" in the month)...... :whistler:

:lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Hi Rick and thank you . When I went to pick up the car the dealer tried to connect it and it would not, he told me not all phones will connect but you now have me thinking and I will try it again. Don't know if you can help me on this question, can I try to connect my old Samsung phone with a different sim card & phone number  while my later HTC is still connected ?
Yes you can have several phones detailed in the memory.

Must be easy to do as i have 2 phones in mine.!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Offline Sydney Lady

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Bexley NSW

• 2013 i30 Premium auto,petrol hatch - Dazzling Blue
    • Sydney Pet Rescue & Adoption
I only use a basic phone, I have a post paid Telstra T96 which connects with the car ok. One negative is that it won't download the phone book. However I have it connected mainly to receive calls.
One other minus is that when it connects, i get a message on the phone 'do you wish to connect to i30?' and it won't connect till I press the 'yes' option. There is no automatic connection like my previous phone.
  • i30 Premium

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I received my new old-fashioned granddad flip phone yesterday and I am very pleased with it.  It is small but with big keys and a big screen.

It Bluetooth connected my hearing aids, the TV Bluetooth unit and the car easily and effectively.

Using Samsung Kies software on the PC, it easily downloaded 109 Outlook contacts to the phone. It downloaded the landline and mobile numbers, the Email address, Company and job title and the mailing address (provided they are all in the correct fields in Outlook - some of mine were not and I had to correct them).  There a lot more business fields that can be downloaded or entered manually on the phone - but I don't use them.  At first glance it looks as comprehensive as I had available on my Samsung Galaxy smartphone

In the car (and note that I now have a cheap and cheerful KIA Venga and not a super duper i30) it downloaded the phone book with no hitch and where people have both landline and mobile phones  - both numbers are shown on the car media screen.

So I am chuffed with the phone - it does far more than I expected and I have bought one for my wife. Mine is silver, hers wine red. Fortunately (for me!) the basic interface and menu system is almost the same as her aged Samsung candy bar phone - so she will not have much of a learning curve to climb.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/mobile-phones/slider/GT-C3590TSAO2U

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good news all round, Alan. :goodjob:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks Alan, sounds great . :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal