i30 Owners Club

Random ESP OFF lights on

Dyptorden · 17 · 20852

Offline Dyptorden

• 1st Gear

• ro Romania
Hi guys.
I know this problem has been discussed long ago, but I wanted to ask you one thing.The main two sources for this problem, according to previous articles I have read on this forum, could be :
1. low tire pressure
2. break switch problem
My question is : due to the fact I have my TPMS sensors removed, and the pressure can't be "read", can this take me directly to the second case (the break switch problem)?
The ESP OFF lights, turn on randomly. Sometimes when I turn the engine on, without even moving the car 1cm. I have to turn the engine off and turn on again.Most of the cases, the ESP OFF light won't be turned on again.Other times I can go to work and back (~ 11 Km) and it's all fine, the ESP OFF lights won't turn on. (Yes, the TPMS light in the dash is always on, due to the sensors missing)
Thank you for your time.
  • I own a Hyundai i30 1.6

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Is the ABS lamp on at the same time?

- have you checked for OBD2 codes? you really need to check while the ESP lamp is lit.

It can be cause by several other things.

Battery Voltage c1101, c1102
Yaw rate sensor/Lateral G sensor c1283-C2332
valve relay/valve C2112 C2308-C2374 C2308
steering angle sensor c1260/1261
abs sensor C1200-C1213
Brake switch c1513
Tyre pressure C1235/C1237 C2312-C2326
Other errors C16xx
ESP Switch C1503
probably other things too

Something like that anyway  :)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Have seen this with brake light switch and quite often after battery disconnected. Steering angle sensor usually requires recalibration.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Mine does it occasionally.  I should get that "brake light recall" completed!!

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Mine does it occasionally.  I should get that "brake light recall" completed!!
I recommend it.

Offline masser1956

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Mine did this in July. I took it to a dealer and he replaced the Brake Light Switch which is located on the i30 2008 on the brake pedal under inside the car. Took five minutes.  A month later there was a recall on this part. It's worked fine ever since. Seems there is a fault inside the brake light switch so the new type switch has better contacts if I recall.
  • i30 2008

Offline Morten martinsen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Telemark, Norway
I think you got a case of low battery voltage fault code, c1101, c1102. Its a very normal fault code. It's a standard service fault code. And you should take a battery test. Another common fault, that can cause these codes, is if you turn on the ignition and start, the battery voltage jumps below threshold. Its often happens if you only use the car for short distances. Get a battery test and check what kind of firmware the esp/abs unit have. It can help if you dont have the newest firmware to get and update..
  • Hyundai i30 2008my Premium/GLS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: mmorten007 2 helpful posts already.. Would be good if you went to the welcome section and introduced yourself (a bit about you and your car/s) so others could welcome you too.. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA
Have seen this with brake light switch and quite often after battery disconnected. Steering angle sensor usually requires recalibration.

Which is as easy as turning the steering wheel lock to lock recalls the steering sensor. Instructions are in the driver manual.
Hyundai techs should now this and advise their customers accordingly.

Regards
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Which is as easy as turning the steering wheel lock to lock recalls the steering sensor. Instructions are in the driver manual.

Regards

If you could provide proof of this info I would love to see it. As far as I'm aware there is no such reset procedure (happy to be proven wrong)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Regards

If you could provide proof of this info I would love to see it. As far as I'm aware there is no such reset procedure (happy to be proven wrong)

I think that is right Tim, been discussed on here before!

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Regards

I think that is right Tim, been discussed on here before!
First I've ever heard of it. It can't possibly get an accurate ASP reading. Only a distance from end point to end point and a rough centre point. The ESP module needs to be told exact centre by scan tool. It's the only way I've been told and none of my manuals say otherwise.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
When power has been off the ESP light definitely stays on until you have done a full lock left and a full lock right and then powered back off and on again, on my FD. I have to do it every time the battery is disconnected.

There no gurantee this is a calibration process though, probably more just a light weight check.

It is documented somewhere, but I forget where.

Offline Morten martinsen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Telemark, Norway
When power has been off the ESP light definitely stays on until you have done a full lock left and a full lock right and then powered back off and on again, on my FD. I have to do it every time the battery is disconnected.

There no gurantee this is a calibration process though, probably more just a light weight check.

It is documented somewhere, but I forget where.

The steering angel sensor does not recalibrate when you turn the steering wheel, you can only do that with a scantool

And some other thing that has been Said, the ESP is not in anyway on a FD afected by the tpms modul.

Sorry for bad english,

• Hyundai i30 2008my Premium/GLS

Offline rumcajs

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Addy, SA

Regards

Page 46 section 4 of drivers manual:

* Notice

After reconnecting or recharging a discharged battery the ESP OFF indicator may illuminate. In this case, turn the steering wheel 360° to the left and 360° to the right while ignition switch in in ON position.
Than, restart the engine after turning ignition is turned OFF.  ......

If that's not some kind of reset I don't know what it is.  I'm kinda firm believer in RTFM. It is amazing what can one learn....

Regards
  • i30 SX MY11

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Regards

Page 46 section 4 of drivers manual:

* Notice

After reconnecting or recharging a discharged battery the ESP OFF indicator may illuminate. In this case, turn the steering wheel 360° to the left and 360° to the right while ignition switch in in ON position.
Than, restart the engine after turning ignition is turned OFF.  ......

If that's not some kind of reset I don't know what it is.  I'm kinda firm believer in RTFM. It is amazing what can one learn....

Regards

Reset maybe yes. But not a recalibrate.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal