i30 Owners Club

[urgent help needed] Best Roof Racks for i30 hatch GD?

melfes · 10 · 7508

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Hi Guys,

Have guests coming over in 2 days and realise Roof racks are urgently needed concerning the luggage.

Scrambling to get a pair now innit!

The dear experienced, Please recommend which one (Thule Rola Whisbar etc) I should get in terms of load capacity, easy to strap, wind noise and easy installation? also compatibility to mount a bike carrier of other make later?

Im in Syd, 2013 5 dr hatch, diesel GD.

Thanks all and Cannot appreciate your help more!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:22:21 by melfes »
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thule WingBars seem well priced and are supposed to be quiet :link: Thule Australia » Fit My Car

Also Rhinos :link: Fit My Car | Rhino-Rack are a bit cheaper but don't look as neat and low line as the Thule WingBar.

Whispbar racks are also priced well and are quiet :link: Whispbar - The Ultimate Car Roof Rack, Van & SUV Roof Racks & Roof Bars. Whispbar, P-bar or Whispbar | Whispbar

Wispbars might be your best option as I know they have an assortment of fittings for bikes - kayaks etc, the other probably do also but I see the Wispbar one more often.

In the model and range for quietness they're all about 75kg rated.

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Thanks Craig , Thumbs up to the convenient links !

Are there outlets offering discounted price rather than retail?

And re bike carriers, are they usually able to be installed on any rails or only talk to specific make with specific fixing points etc?
How are they installed usually?
As im thinking about getting those cheap universal ones
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 02:01:49 by melfes »
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As far as I know the optional fixings only fit the specific brand they're made for.

The fixing points are pre allocated on the roof seams and the racks I've listed all come with simple instructions for attaching ( basically slide back and remove the cover for the rack attachment point and click the mount into place ), I'm not sure if cheap universal ones would fit correctly "if at all"

I don't know of any special offers sorry but the prices all listed there are quite cheap for the quality, for the same through Hyundai you'll be up for around a $1000 or slightly more

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This is off Rola's website.
I'd shop around for prices though.

http://www.rola.com.au/roof-racks.aspx

ANCHOR POINT EXTENDED SPORTS BAR
ANCHOR POINT EXTENDED SPORTS BAR
click to enlarge
Strong and robust roof rack which utilises fixed mounting points within the roofline of your vehicle.

Comes with the Rola 'Global Channel' extended bar fitment to obtain maximum bar length to fit any accessory.

Australian made and designed.

Comes complete with a fitting kit and is vehicle specific to ensure a perfect fit for each model of car, ensuring maximum safety.

End Support Height:
Cross Bar Height:
Total Height:

Utilising vehicle specific mounting blocks that compliment the vehicles design.

Part Number:   APEX082-2
Number of Crossbars:   2
Maximum Load:   80Kg kg
Price:   $336.00

Rola has all sorts of accessories, including bike carriers, snow, kayak and cargo carriers.
I've always used them and found them to be the quietest.
I note they now hace an extension to give you more carrying width which is good. They used to just curve down onto the bracket. I suspect that you sacrifice a modicum of quietness for that but well worth it.
There's a brand which Supercheap sells (New Zealand product) and they have all sorts of accessories, too. I have their kayak carriers and they come with adapters to suit most common brands of roof rack on the market. Think it's Prorack.
I carry surfboards and kayaks on mine.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Thanks dude !

"I've always used them and found them to be the quietest."  What other racks have you tried?

"I have their kayak carriers and they come with adapters to suit most common brands of roof rack on the market. "
Mind if I ask How adapters suit?  cuz compatibility is what concerns me when choosing racks
  • i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks dude !

"I've always used them and found them to be the quietest."  What other racks have you tried?

"I have their kayak carriers and they come with adapters to suit most common brands of roof rack on the market. "
Mind if I ask How adapters suit?  cuz compatibility is what concerns me when choosing racks
I've always used them, but been in cars with other brands - can't tell you which ones. But I thought they were noisier than mine. However, that could have had something to do with the brand of car.
Re adapters, as I said, I am using Prorack kayak adapters on my Rolas. They came with a pack of different types of fitment adapters. I just used the ones for the Rolas and filed the rest in a box in the garage. AFAIK, all makes have adapters but probably only for their own brand of rack.
Mine is an FD though.
Also, an observation. I reckon they should make the rear upright pieces slightly taller because when you fit cross racks the rear is slightly lower than the front. I'd prefer they were level or slightly biased towards a lower front. I just feel it would suit the wind resistance factor better.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline melfes

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      sydney
Also, an observation. I reckon they should make the rear upright pieces slightly taller because when you fit cross racks the rear is slightly lower than the front. I'd prefer they were level or slightly biased towards a lower front. I just feel it would suit the wind resistance factor better.

Good Thinking eh!

I finally decided to go btwn Rhino and Thule, and went with Thule Aero bar $349. Will post a review later when I have time.

Thanks for the help so far!
  • i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Looking around on the Thule website and I noticed they do a lowered foot kit :link: Thule Australia » Products » Roof Racks » Thule Rapid System 753 using that option would give the front raked effect you're after ( if you had Thule racks of course )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal