i30 Owners Club

Faults experienced by motoring journalists

tla · 11 · 2481

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Here's an interesting article about the faults experienced in cars reviewed by Fairfax Media motoring journalists in 2013.

Car faults of 2013

Some brands exhibited more problems than others. We drove 17 BMWs, for example, and only one had a fault, while of the 12 Jeeps we tested, three had problems of some form or another. We drove 29 Holdens and had four faults, while of the 19 Fords we drove, two had problems.

Some brands didn’t show up any problems during our time testing their cars, including the 17 different Mitsubishi models we tested, and the 11 Hyundais that came through the garage.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice find thanks!  :goodjob:

I know they have mules that get shunted around the traps for the magazines to test drive and such, but I have often thought when they mention a fault in a review that the suppliers are crazy for not doing a though check of everything between loans.  :head_butt:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
nothing is perfect, they all have there falts.
but not many new car's would let you down, even if the drivers flog them, just what i think.
journalists are like Doctor's, give them a bonus or a freebie & they say what you want. i never pay attention to journalist's as just a bunch of story teller's not engineers.
cheers

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
They are there to sell papers not cars
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The bluetooth issues and stuff were in a completely different league to the relatively major mechanical faults in the Fiats, Jeeps and Holdens IMHO ...

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I wouldn't fault manufacturer on things like Bluetooth problems etc, because they're not always indicative of a mfg fault. Especially when the sample size is one car.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

I know they have mules that get shunted around the traps for the magazines to test drive and such, but I have often thought when they mention a fault in a review that the suppliers are crazy for not doing a though check of everything between loans.  :head_butt:

That's interesting. I noticed when the GD i30 was launched in the UK that the reg No on the cars tested by the various magazines were different. Hyundai clearly provided each of them with a new car not thrashed by other testers.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's interesting. I noticed when the GD i30 was launched in the UK that the reg No on the cars tested by the various magazines were different. Hyundai clearly provided each of them with a new car not thrashed by other testers.

It may have changed Alan, but when I subscribed to various Car Magazines many years ago, they occasionally suggested in their comments that a particular Test car had suffered a hard life doing the rounds (and they used the term Mule to describe them)

Australia is a smaller market, so maybe can't justify as many test cars!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^
Quite right, Dazz.

Was the same until recently and may still be that way.
For the more rare models, the big players get first bite of the cherry, then down the line it goes.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I wouldn't fault manufacturer on things like Bluetooth problems etc, because they're not always indicative of a mfg fault. Especially when the sample size is one car.
Yep, heaps of posts here from people who've had problems with their i30s' BT and phone connectivity. But many more, such as myself, who have experienced no problems, particularly when one learns exactly how it works and that each phone is different.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Clearly, the "primate" tested Hyundai wasn't in Australia then.  :whistler:
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal