i30 Owners Club

Handbrake Failure - I30 Turbo

Jones.S · 46 · 12458

Offline Jones.S

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire
So Ive had an issue with the handbrake on my I30 Turbo.

Car was parked up, handbrake 3/4 of the way up on a slight incline

Car was sat for 45 mins in my parking space.

Went upstairs and got a shower

Came back downstairs

Car was in my neighbours Garden up against their house   :fum:

Rang Hyundai

Got Response "if theres an issue your insurance can sue us"

Car has only done 600 miles

Has anyone else had an issue like this ?
  • I30 Turbo

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with the handbrake before :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Always park in gear, lucky no children playing.  :exclaim: :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Can't say any of my cars have ever jumped out of gear when parked.

You did leave it in gear, didn't you?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Jones.S

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire

Stupidly no I wasn't, but realistically I shouldn't have to park a brand new car in gear to stop it rolling away
  • I30 Turbo

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Gravity's a real bitch you know.

Sorry to hear of your woe...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Stupidly no I wasn't, but realistically I shouldn't have to park a brand new car in gear to stop it rolling away

Sorry to hear that, but you really do need to leave the car in gear and the handbrake on tight! How much damage? :undecided:

There was a girl who had a similar thing happen a couple of years ago, but a similar situation..  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Temperature variations as the car cools after driving, can cause a hand brake to loosen depending on the design. The parking brake is a support adjunct to the engine / gearbox. It is not always 100% fail safe. I owned a car with disc brake handbrake. Worked fine when hot, but on cooling, the disc used to shrink and pressure was released. It was a poor design.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Jones.S

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire

Sorry to hear that, but you really do need to leave the car in gear and the handbrake on tight! How much damage? :undecided:

There was a girl who had a similar thing happen a couple of years ago, but a similar situation..  :cool:

Boot Panel is Dinted and the house door has moved out of alignment with the door frame so the door is no longer sitting right.

In Terms of liability where do i stand, i cant help but feel on a brand new car it shouldn't just roll away like that.

In future i will always be parking in gear, but from being taught to drive and on my driving test i was always told to leave the car in neutral when parking.
  • I30 Turbo

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
bang goes the no claims bonus <sigh>

Also, if/when you leave it in gear to use the engine as a reserve brake never jump in and turn the key without remembering to waggled the stick and move it OUT of gear, or you'll be making another insurance claim.

Sorry to hear about your woes  :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Sorry to say, but in terms of liability I would say that you are at fault.  Hyundai will only come back and say that the handbrake was not applied correctly.  Even by your own admissions, the handbrake was only "3/4 of the way up", to me that reads, "not fully applied".

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
In Terms of liability where do i stand, i cant help but feel on a brand new car it shouldn't just roll away like that.

Problem is, that it would be nigh impossible (in Court) to prove that the handbrake had either failed or that it had be applied "hard enough".
Unless you have reliable independent witnesses and had an Motor "Expert" Witness ( ie. Court Approved) examine the vehicle before anyone else touched anything ie. immediately post collision.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's been many years since my driving test so my memory may be sketchy on the facts but I think we were always taught to park with the vehicle left in 1st or reverse depending on incline/decline.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Its possible the rear brake pads havent bed-in properly. Although dealer should have done this at PDi.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
bang goes the no claims bonus <sigh>

Also, if/when you leave it in gear to use the engine as a reserve brake never jump in and turn the key without remembering to waggled the stick and move it OUT of gear, or you'll be making another insurance claim.

Sorry to hear about your woes  :Shocked: :Shocked:

The manuals have a clutch switch which prevents the starter from operating unless clutch is fully depressed.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
It's been many years since my driving test so my memory may be sketchy on the facts but I think we were always taught to park with the vehicle left in 1st or reverse depending on incline/decline.

I was never taught to do that by the British School of Motoring.  Admittedly I only had three lessons  because I'd been driving a three wheeler on my motorcycle licence for a year -  picked up some bad habits perhaps.  I don't know anyone who ever has routinely put the car into gear when parked - unless parked on a steep incline.

My old i30 always needs the handbrake pulled up a further couple of clicks after I've parked though, otherwise the brake is only on very lightly.  Taking my foot off the brake seems to loosen the pull of the handbrake so needs the extra couple of clicks.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I was taught and still do it as....

Stop using foot brake (even if glided to stop i still apply foot brake)

With foot still on foot brake pull up hand brake

Take foot off foot brake

Pull up on hand brake to take up any slack which may occur after taking foot of foot brake. (This was evident in my fd when parking on incline. Not in gd though).

Put gear into neutral

Switch off engine
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Magle

Came back downstairs

Rang Hyundai

I have tried it, with the handbrake did not held the my car enough.
The problem was poorly the maintenance from the workshop. I complained about it and they fixed it without complaint.

In your case I think that Hyundai is to blame, they deliver a car that does not meet the safety requirements for the hand brake. Whether it's the factory or your local dealer.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Came back downstairs

Rang Hyundai

I have tried it, with the handbrake did not held the my car enough.
The problem was poorly the maintenance from the workshop. I complained about it and they fixed it without complaint.

In your case I think that Hyundai is to blame, they deliver a car that does not meet the safety requirements for the hand brake. Whether it's the factory or your local dealer.

Interesting, so if he was to need to brake in an emergency and only hit the brakes 3/4 of the way and hit something is the car responsible?

You need to 'test' the park brake before leaving the car as outlined above. A couple of times in different vehicles I have caught the fact that I have inadvertently not applied the brake hard enough using this method. 

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't know anyone who DOESN'T leave their car parked in gear with the handbrake on.
To me it's common sense.
And the old argument about protecting the gearbox by leaving it in neutral don't hold water in my opinion because if the handbrake moves enough to put pressure on the box then that proves it SHOULD be in gear to prevent exactly the situation faced by the o.p.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
 :whsaid:

I was always taught to leave the car in gear when parked, whether that be on a slope of flat ground. 

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
"ns" for in-gear always.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
:whsaid:

I was always taught to leave the car in gear when parked, whether that be on a slope of flat ground.

:iws:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
There seem to be different traditions on putting the car into gear between the UK and Aus. Maybe the critters over there like to gnaw through handbrake cables.  :mrgreen:

My various cars have been parked in my drive with just the handbrake for over 25 years. If I released the brake my car would drift down and block the pavement as it is on a slope, maybe go into the road slightly.

Though maybe I will put it into reverse, just in case? :)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Don't think we have been taught differently.

Passed my UK test in 1988 and was taught and still to this day leave a manual car in gear when parked, I can remember being told that it was vital as handbrake cables are known to stretch and snap and therefore if the car is in gear you are applying an additional level of safety.  This may be less of a requirement with electronic parking brakes and is obviously different in an auto, however even the Kia goes mental and bongs whilst informing me of my stupidity if I do not move the lever to P before exiting, in fact after it does that it refuses to switch off ACC (and with the push button start that means cycling right through again after moving to P to actually switch the car off!)

Was also taught to leave the wheels at an angle so that if the car did move it would move and be given a level of "braking" and hold against the kerb, never really liked that one much, I hate leaving or even seeing wheels at an angle and protruding into some of our narrower streets.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't think we have been taught differently.

Passed my UK test in 1988 and was taught and still to this day leave a manual car in gear when parked, I can remember being told that it was vital as handbrake cables are known to stretch and snap and therefore if the car is in gear you are applying an additional level of safety.  This may be less of a requirement with electronic parking brakes and is obviously different in an auto, however even the Kia goes mental and bongs whilst informing me of my stupidity if I do not move the lever to P before exiting, in fact after it does that it refuses to switch off ACC (and with the push button start that means cycling right through again after moving to P to actually switch the car off!)

Was also taught to leave the wheels at an angle so that if the car did move it would move and be given a level of "braking" and hold against the kerb, never really liked that one much, I hate leaving or even seeing wheels at an angle and protruding into some of our narrower streets.

:whsaid: Except the UK bit...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I noticed in some cities in USA, San Francisco in particular, there are signs on the side of the streets that say please curb your vehicle. Meaning once you park turn full lock and let your front wheel roll back into the curb as an added security.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I noticed in some cities in USA, San Francisco in particular, there are signs on the side of the streets that say please curb your vehicle. Meaning once you park turn full lock and let your front wheel roll back into the curb as an added security.

That is what my advanced training taught me.
Turned one way for an uphill, the other way for a downhill and always in gear with the handbrake on.
No exceptions.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Jones.S

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Yorkshire
Quick Update: 

Managed to get a meeting with one of the directors, really nice guy, advised that although he can't say there is a fault with the car, he can see why there could be difficulty getting the handbrake into the correct position, and will speak to HMUK Regarding this.

Agreed to Replace the car as a "Good Will Gesture"

And Pay for any damages to neighbours House

I must say, i'm impressed
  • I30 Turbo

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal