i30 Owners Club

i30 2007-11 diesel engine automatic/manual interchangeability?

Paolo5 · 10 · 2124

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi,
Is the diesel engine fitted to an automatic i30 EXACTLY the same as the one in a manual i30?

I am wondering if a manual i30 with a cactus diesel engine could receive an engine transplant from the same model automatic i30.

Logic tells me that they would be the same...just the transmissions different...but this is just supposition on my part. Does anyone know for sure?

Paolo5

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I suppose anything is possible. but most auto's these days are computerised so maybe different ECU ago to manual diesel.
but why would you change? cheaper to sell buy an auto if thats what you wanted.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Lakes,
I don't want to change. I really enjoy driving a manual car.

I was just wondering if a donor engine from an automatic diesel i30 could be directly transplanted into a manual car of the same vintage should the engine in the manual sh&t itself...or if there physical differences between the engines that would not allow this to happen.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I suppose anything is possible. but most auto's these days are computerised so maybe different ECU ago to manual diesel.
but why would you change? cheaper to sell buy an auto if thats what you wanted.

Think you read that backwards mate.

The long engine should be a straight swap. Just check the first 4 digits of each engine number match.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

The long engine should be a straight swap. Just check the first 4 digits of each engine number match.

Hi Cruiserfied,
Like the 'D4FB' in a diesel i30

or the 'G4ED' if we were talking about a 1.6 litre Getz?

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Nice to know - I assume that similar applies petrol - though I am thinking gearbox swap instead.

Not saying I will swap it - but I do miss manual gearbox to some extent - though manual vs. automatic is not a deal-breaker for me.   Maybe if I win, or make, lots of money and have a couple of cars....

IIRC the SX badge of the 2010 i30cw came with option of manual or automatic - but not the SLX or Sportswagon badges.  So I would assume, body-wise, all the appropriate holes, mounts, etc. would be there.   I suspect the greater hassle would probably be getting the trim for it.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice to know - I assume that similar applies petrol - though I am thinking gearbox swap instead.

Not saying I will swap it - but I do miss manual gearbox to some extent - though manual vs. automatic is not a deal-breaker for me.   Maybe if I win, or make, lots of money and have a couple of cars....

IIRC the SX badge of the 2010 i30cw came with option of manual or automatic - but not the SLX or Sportswagon badges.  So I would assume, body-wise, all the appropriate holes, mounts, etc. would be there.   I suspect the greater hassle would probably be getting the trim for it.

Yeah, if an SLX or Sportswagon CW had a dicky Auto would be a good trick to convert to a Manual (especially the diesel...)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yeah but only if you had a shagged trans.
I wouldnt bother swapping out a good condition box, too expensive. Just trade for a manual.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yeah but only if you had a shagged trans.
I wouldnt bother swapping out a good condition box, too expensive. Just trade for a manual.

Yup - would only be doing it if the oppertunity arose because of a need (e.g. dicky/shagged trans).  Or didn't particularly care about the cost... lotto win - I can dream can't I?  :D

Auto vs. manual isn't too big a deal for me - but had the SLX had a manual option I would have taken it.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal