i30 Owners Club

Motorcycle tolling on CityLink

Guest · 15 · 3893

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Oct 15

CityLink announced today that from 1 January 2014 it will begin tolling motorcycles driving on CityLink.

CityLink is currently the only toll road in Australia that does not toll motorcycles.

Under CityLink’s contract with the Victorian Government, it was always expected that motorcycles – like all other vehicles using the road – would be charged for travel. In line with that contract, the toll for motorcycles will be half the rate for cars.

Recently, CityLink adopted new technology as part of a major upgrade of the road’s tolling and customer management system – and this technology incorporates video imaging that will accurately toll motorcycles.

CityLink will be running an extensive public education campaign to ensure motorcyclists are prepared for this change.

This campaign will outline the options for motorcyclists choosing to travel on CityLink:

• If they have a CityLink account for other vehicles, the motorcycle registration number needs to be added to this existing account prior to travel.

• They can set up a new CityLink account if they expect to be a regular user of the toll road.

• If their motorcycle is already registered on an EastLink account then they are automatically covered for travel on CityLink.

• They can purchase a casual user product such as a CityLink Pass for CityLink only or a Melbourne Pass for both CityLink and EastLink.

Motorcyclists do not have to carry an e-TAG. CityLink will use video technology for tolling purposes and will not charge any image processing fees

After 1 January 2014, motorcyclists who use CityLink but have not made arrangements – like all other travellers – will receive late toll invoices.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
And that's why I will never go to Melbourne, what a hassle. I see private companies now have & use recognition technology, shades of Big Brother IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It's been long overdue, Phil...

'Twas only that Citylink didn't take motorcycles into account when they built it and of course found their cameras faced the wrong way that motorcyclists got to travel for free.

Ever since Eastlink was built and tolled riders from day 1, I knew motorcyclists were on borrowed time when it came to Citylink. I'm just surprised it took them so long....  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And that's why I will never go to Melbourne, what a hassle.

It's really not that bad, you can just buy a day pass which you can get online or at many other businesses such as service stations.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
When will you be mounting your front numberplate  :question: :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I don't need one as Citylink has had upgrades and now they can get a looky see at rear number plates..... :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Plus he doesn't have a bike that goes
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I didn't know that  :exclaim:

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
And that's why I will never go to Melbourne, what a hassle. I see private companies now have & use recognition technology, shades of Big Brother IMO.

Sound like the Queensland government have been on to them. :whistler:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :D

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
City Link Plan To Toll Scooters And Motorcycles From 2014: Are We Nuts?
Tim O'Brien | Oct 21, 2013

TMR Opinion
Why are we saddled with such short-sighted Governments?

Melbourne is a city in near grid-lock at peak times, and brought easily to a complete standstill by relatively minor system failures or accidents.

Why then is it so difficult for the Victorian State Government and that tub of bureaucrats at VicRoads to wrap their collective heads around scooters and motorcycles as a transport solution in a modern city?

Encouraging the more widespread and safe use of two-wheeled transport, getting more commuters using them - rather than less - will relieve pressure on a teetering road system, relieve pressure on parking, speed travel times for all road users, reduce airborne pollution and reduce Melbourne's transport carbon footprint.

Isn't that a win-win-win? A win for the city, a win for car commuters, and a win for the environment. Where is the downside there?

Instead, the answer from this shortsighted Victorian Government is to discourage the use of scooters, motorcycles and electric two-wheelers as city transport.

Allowing the introduction of tolls on City Link for motorcycle and scooter riders is just one more brick in a wall of policy failures

Outer-urban commuters who might have chosen to take two-wheeled transport because of the savings in travel, will no longer be encouraged to do so.

It can't be wear-and-tear on the road surfaces that has promoted this proposal; it can't be because scooters and motorcycles are on the tollways in such numbers that they are impeding traffic flow; it can't be that they are filling up scant carparking spaces around the CBD and other prime business precincts.

So what has prompted this policy initiative if not just another grab for cash?

Where is the transport plan that otherwise encourages the safe use of scooters and motorcycles?

Where are the policy initiatives from the Victorian State Government that recognises the part motorised two-wheeled transport plays in the better working of a modern city?

European cities are alive with scooters, motorcycles and electric two-wheelers. Why not here? Unfortunately, to Melbourne's detriment, we have a blinkered Government and a moribund and backwards-looking roads bureaucracy.

Melbourne needs decision-makers with a vision for the future, a sense of where the decisions being made now will place this city in the next decade, and the two and three decades after that.

The 'vision thing' isn't hard.

We can imagine a city where its arteries don't clog with cars and trucks twice in every working day, where recurring issues of failing transport don't degrade the amenity of the city and don't prevent it from functioning efficiently.

But poor decisons now, even relatively small poor decisions like this toll proposal, will amplify the problems that will need to be solved - one day - by a better Government.

Poor decision? Let's call it for what it is: it's plain stupid.

Tim O'Brien
TMR Managing Editor

:link:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I think this bloke is a little one eyed,hyperthetically lets say,everyone changes to scooters,m'cycles or two wheeled electric bikes(but this will never happen) but lets say it does,if they haven't a toll on ALL vehicles,how are they going to keep funding their roads if they don't charge two wheel vehicles.

lets forget all the other arguments,if there is to be a toll,it should be for ALL vehicles,plus be graded on size,weight and type of vehicle,so two wheeled would be the cheapest and heavy haulage would be the dearest.

But getting back to scooters,I'm not sure over there but here the little 48cc have become a bug bare on our roads,they are plain dangerous(sorry this was justa side note)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Transurban (owners of Citylink) have somehow managed to turn a profit without tolling motorcycles since it first opened some 13 - 14 years ago...

Besides being the full owner of Citylink they also have a stake in 5 of the 9 Motorways in Sydney. They also have interests in North America.

While I understand that motorcyclists have had a free ride for all these years I do believe tolls for motorcycles, (if they must have them) are too high.
Apparently they will be half the car toll (same as Eastlink) which to me does seem rather high when you consider the low weight of a motorcycle.

A fairer toll, in my opinion would be one quarter that of a car.....  :undecided:

But getting back to scooters,I'm not sure over there but here the little 48cc have become a bug bare on our roads,they are plain dangerous(sorry this was justa side note)

Why is that, Rick, is it their lack of speed?
Surely they would be no worse than a bicycle using the road....  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

Why is that, Rick, is it their lack of speed?
Surely they would be no worse than a bicycle using the road....  :undecided:
as for tolls thats what I was saying rusty,they should be graded on weight and type of vehicle M/cycles should be a hell of a lot cheaper than cars and trucks a hell of a lot higher than cars.

yes lack of power,they have here report M'cycle deaths when it has been kids or PPL on these death traps,attempting manuevours I would think twice about on a MC ten fifteen times their size,I witnessed one some months ago on the intersection of two major roads,what the young bloke was thinking was beyond me,sadly he didn't stand a chance,they are not to go on any major HWY or clearway,but they do,just makes me shudder at what can happen.

I kid you not(I think I've told this one before),but I had a dude(had to be the best part of 120Kgs),pulled up between me(in fully loaded semi) and a courier truck at a major intersection on one of these 48cc jobs,when the lights went green he had no where to go,he had no power to get in front of us,we both left him behind fairly quickly but then he was left battling cars which where then speeding up behind us,if your going to lane split or try to beat the lights or run a yellow light from miles back,do it on a bike that has the power to get you out of trouble
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There's been calls over the years to allow these scooters to travel in bicycle lanes but of course the bicycle brigade are outraged at the thought of sharing their lane.  :fum:

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/push-for-scooters-to-share-bike-lanes-20080709-3cfu.html

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal