i30 Owners Club

MK1 Speakers not working

Sophos · 12 · 3613

Offline Sophos

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Osijek
Hello, this is my first post in here.

I've been reading a bit in here yesterday, but I couldn't find quite the same problem as I have. Even though I've found some problems I had too (headlights busting frequently, passenger side read door handle broke without any hard force put to it), I couldn't find anything about radio.

So, a couple of days ago I was driving during nighttime, and I hit a pothole at 90km/h. After 2-3 seconds sound stopped coming through the speakers. The radio works fine, CD, USB, FM/AM, no errors, it's just that there is no sound at all, no matter the volume. I'm not sure what could be the problem, and I'm kinda not sure what to look for exactly. Is it the connection between the speakrs and the radio? Is it the speakers themselves, or maye radio is broken, except the display still works?

I'd like some opinions on the issue. Good thing it's only a radio, I thouroughtly checked the exterior, and even though the pothole was a bit big, there is no outside damage. And while we're at the issue, do you guys also have problems with i30 headlights being too weak? I can barely drive during night, and I changed quite a lot of bulb sets. This surely woudn't happen if I could see clearly.
  • 2008 i30 1,6 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey, and welcome to the club :)

You might need to remove the radio to check the connectors at the back, as it sound like the speaker bloc's got dislodged.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Sophos

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Osijek
Thank you for the welcome. I'm sure this will soon be my daily site to visit. Lots of interesting stuff for true Hyundai fans such as myself.

I think I know how to remove the radio, shouldn't be too big of a problem. And if it just got dislodged, that would mean I wouldn't need to replace any parts, right? Well, a free fix, what can be better than that.
  • 2008 i30 1,6 CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah it's easy enough to remove the fascia, then the radio unit.

The problem must be in the area I mentioned as you say there's no sound from any speaker, so the problem has to be along the speaker lead circuit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hello, this is my first post in here.

I've been reading a bit in here yesterday, but I couldn't find quite the same problem as I have. Even though I've found some problems I had too (headlights busting frequently, passenger side read door handle broke without any hard force put to it), I couldn't find anything about radio.

So, a couple of days ago I was driving during nighttime, and I hit a pothole at 90km/h. After 2-3 seconds sound stopped coming through the speakers. The radio works fine, CD, USB, FM/AM, no errors, it's just that there is no sound at all, no matter the volume. I'm not sure what could be the problem, and I'm kinda not sure what to look for exactly. Is it the connection between the speakrs and the radio? Is it the speakers themselves, or maye radio is broken, except the display still works?

I'd like some opinions on the issue. Good thing it's only a radio, I thouroughtly checked the exterior, and even though the pothole was a bit big, there is no outside damage. And while we're at the issue, do you guys also have problems with i30 headlights being too weak? I can barely drive during night, and I changed quite a lot of bulb sets. This surely woudn't happen if I could see clearly.

:wttc: :welc1

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is it still within warranty?

If so get dealer to check by just saying ----- no sound from radio.

Also, how do you know the rest is working if no sound to confirm?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Sophos

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Osijek
Yeah it's easy enough to remove the fascia, then the radio unit.

The problem must be in the area I mentioned as you say there's no sound from any speaker, so the problem has to be along the speaker lead circuit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Well, thanks for help. I'll tell you tomorrow how it ended up. It's a bit late now for any work (9PM + heavy rain, can barely see anything outside).

:wttc: :welc1

Thank you asathorny for your welcome.

Is it still within warranty?

If so get dealer to check by just saying ----- no sound from radio.

Also, how do you know the rest is working if no sound to confirm?

Not under warranty anymore. It will be 6 years old in December, and I think my warranty is 5 years. Not sure it works, but the radio acts fine, it reads USB normally, starts a song, I can see the song time rolling normally, I can control the volume. There just isn't any sound. I do hear a loud thud through the speaker if I hit the upper part of the fascia with my palm. Of course, it's not any hard hitting, just gentle thump.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 20:11:14 by Sophos »
  • 2008 i30 1,6 CRDi

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Sophos

:wttc:

Sounds like the connector for the speakers have jumped out of the radio, even though it shouldn't be possible.

Regarding the lights, you can always buy some of those +50 or +90% light bulbs, they do enhance the light, but the lifespan  is very short. With all the potholes you have on your roads better lights won't keep you off the potholes  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Sophos

• 1st Gear

• hr Croatia
      Osijek
Hi Sophos

Sounds like the connector for the speakers have jumped out of the radio, even though it shouldn't be possible.

Regarding the lights, you can always buy some of those +50 or +90% light bulbs, they do enhance the light, but the lifespan  is very short. With all the potholes you have on your roads better lights won't keep you off the potholes  :D

Thanks for the welcome. Potholes aren't really an issue where I live, this was in Bosnia. My plates were also stolen during the trip, which is a bit weird. Possibly because they had number 555 on them, maybe someone is a collector of pleates with all same numbers.

I descrbed the lights with the wrong word, they aren't weak, they are just pointed at too low angle and don't cast long enough light trail in front of them. I know there's a wheel that adjusts lights angle right next to the ESP off button, but it doesn't seem to do much, if anything.
  • 2008 i30 1,6 CRDi

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Many members are disappointed with their lights. It would be worth getting your lights tested for alignment, as some have reported that they are focused too high, making them ineffective. Check with your dealer about a possible earthing problem with the lights. This seems to be a major cause for headlights burning out.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Sophos

Thanks for the welcome. Potholes aren't really an issue where I live, this was in Bosnia. My plates were also stolen during the trip, which is a bit weird. Possibly because they had number 555 on them, maybe someone is a collector of pleates with all same numbers.

I descrbed the lights with the wrong word, they aren't weak, they are just pointed at too low angle and don't cast long enough light trail in front of them. I know there's a wheel that adjusts lights angle right next to the ESP off button, but it doesn't seem to do much, if anything.

I would get the lights adjusted at a garage.

I only know the roads at Istria, around Porec / Vrsar & Rovinj. They're definitely not good quality everywhere...  :D

We have been in Croatia the last 6 years in the summer vacation. Lovely country..  ;)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Sophos, I agree with previous comments on both the radio and the lights..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal