i30 Owners Club

Duff Radio Warranty

Hornet · 15 · 4187

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Had problems with the radio in our i30, the AM reception was poor and the interference was so bad we could only listen to FM.  When in Tasmania (Launceston) I took the car to the dealer who said the radio was only covered by a three year warranty. I voiced my concern about that but as the i30 was then under three years old they checked the  aerial, it  was OK, then advised me as it would take them two weeks to get a replacement I should get it fixed when I returned to Queensland. On the return trip the FM deteriorated and performed no better than AM so just had to speak to the Mrs all the way. When home the radio was replaced under warranty and has been OK until recently when the AM started to crackle and drop out of stations in the manner it did before FM is following suit. Not impressed with the standard of radio fitted and will ask Hy about this alleged 3 year only warranty on the radios fitted. If the fine print restricts warranty to 3 years I wont be happy I really don't want a similar unit refitted unless under warranty.
Does anyone know if I was given the correct  info by Hy Dealer in Launceston?
  • i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Yes, pretty sure it is only 3 years (probably because the radio manufacturer only offers 3 years on their product) similar restrictions apply to battery and tyres (for the same reason)

Radio reception is a fairly common complaint about the FD series i30 (we seem to suspect the antenna connection as being the weak point, more than the radio itself) Although no definitive answer that I can recall... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
From the warranty....

• Audio Head Unit - 36 months / Unlimited km (12 months on USB memory devices)Covering defects in material and workmanship.

Still one could argue the expectation that the car radio would last in excess of 3 years (given every radio I have ever had in any car has done so) so it would be reasonably expected to last longer. The Hyundai Warranty can not exclude Australian law...
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline ssaini

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat, VIC
Mine is Brand new and just went for a test drive to check the radio reception and it's appalling. AM and FM both... So my list of improvements suggestions is growing within 3 days of purchasing the car. lol. I still believe it is a good car and value for money.. Hyundai i30 1.8 GD Elite, Build Dec2014 and Compliance 2015. I'll raise this with the dealer on 500 kms servicing and let you guys know whatever the outcome is.. :)
  • Hyundai i30 Elite 1.8 GD Manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
This is the first I can remember of complaints about the FM reception.  There may have been more but the only ones I recall have been about AM.
Mine is still rubbish but FM continues to be fine.

:Good_luck:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Yep 3 year warranty for Australian radios. They are Australian fitted units, so not fitted at factory.
I have seen poor cable connection at radio and poor earth at ariel base.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yep 3 year warranty for Australian radios. They are Australian fitted units, so not fitted at factory.
I have seen poor cable connection at radio and poor earth at ariel base.

I have complained about AM radio reception since I've had the car as I live @ 100 kms south of Perth.
The GPS, dashcam and even the EPS (when turning the steering wheel) all interfere with AM radio reception and I do wish there was a solution as I listen to predominantly AM radio.
If I want to listen to AM radio, I have to disconnect at least the dashcam and also the i-phone charge to be in with a chance.  :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Sounds like a possible poor connection somewhere, or maybe the booster in the ariel base is malfunctioning (do the GD's have a roof ariel or glass ariel?)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Roof  :D

It appears that under the roof lining there are 2 plugs (4 wires) that connect to the antenna. It would be worth checking at least the connector terminals to their corresponding wires and that the plugs are fully plugged in. May solve reception issues.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 22:37:59 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Roof  :D

It appears that under the roof lining there are 2 plugs (4 wires) that connect to the antenna. It would be worth checking at least the connector terminals to their corresponding wires and that the plugs are fully plugged in. May solve reception issues.

That and remember it earths to body through mounting nut.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
How hard is it to get under the roof lining....................... and put it back the way it was?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
How hard is it to get under the roof lining?

Very!!

....................... and put it back the way it was?

That is the hard part!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Actually, thee's some sort of link tyo lining removal, but being a dumb ass I couldn't work out how it works.'

I'll add it here, see what you chaps can do

link, of some sort,

<a href="content.asp?vehicletype=Passenger&mfrcode=HY&area=HME&langcode=ENG&modelid=GDH12&modelyr=2013&mmctype=bd&mmcid=4&group=SHOP&pdftype=&cat1=2013+%3E+G+1%2E6+MPI&firstnodedesc=Body+%28Interior+and+Exterior%29&sitinfolist=91%5E9157%5E91570040%5Enone%5E801%5E6%5EENG%5EHY%5EGDH12%5E2013%5Ebd%5E4%5Enone%5Enone%5Enone%5ESHOP%5E%24" target="_blank">Remove the rear roof trim.</a>

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Actually, thee's some sort of link tyo lining removal, but being a dumb ass I couldn't work out how it works.'

I'll add it here, see what you chaps can do

link, of some sort,

<a href="content.asp?vehicletype=Passenger&mfrcode=HY&area=HME&langcode=ENG&modelid=GDH12&modelyr=2013&mmctype=bd&mmcid=4&group=SHOP&pdftype=&cat1=2013+%3E+G+1%2E6+MPI&firstnodedesc=Body+%28Interior+and+Exterior%29&sitinfolist=91%5E9157%5E91570040%5Enone%5E801%5E6%5EENG%5EHY%5EGDH12%5E2013%5Ebd%5E4%5Enone%5Enone%5Enone%5ESHOP%5E%24" target="_blank">Remove the rear roof trim.</a>

What site was that on?  That link references an 'internal' (actually relative address is the correct term) link on a website - doesn't actually give the site itself.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Ah, Hyundai GDS system  :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal