i30 Owners Club

Steering wheel Stereo Control Problem

Drej · 5 · 6347

Offline Drej

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I have recently bought my 2nd-hand 2009 i30 about 3 weeks ago.

When I first received  it the stereo controls on the steering wheel were working perfectly.
But, at some point (maybe after someone played around with the stereo while I was driving) they completely stopped working.

Volume up/down, mode etc (all buttons on the left hand side of the wheel) just don't work.
Cruise control buttons still work.

Have they simply broken or have they somehow accidentally been disabled? I couldn't find any help in the owners manual.
  • 2009 i30 SLX Wagon (MK10)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Drej

:wttc:

I'm not aware of the option to turn off the wheel controls, but someone most likely know more about this than I do...  :P
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi Drej

:wlcome02:

I am not aware of functionality to ignore the steering controls either - for either the PA-710 (I am assuming the PA-710 is fitted - OEM std for year and model) or FD-01 head-units (a later OEM unit that is a drop-in replacement). Haven't seen anything in the manuals about it for either.

There isn't really much to the controls per sae, they connect different resistors across two wires... the head-unit senses which button is pressed from that.   Having said that if it is a bad/broken connection, or some contamination in one, all the steering wheel audio controls would stop (and/or start) working like you are seeing - unfortunately most are in the steering wheel it's self :link: HOW TO - adding steering wheel volume controls!! and the one on the back of head-unit.

If the head-unit has got into some state where it is ignoring them then possibly resetting it might fix it - but that will probably require pulling fuse(s) (which I haven't done - so am not sure) or unplugging the unit (which I have done - but requires de-mounting the unit... which requires removing the centre of the console!).

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Funny you should mention this but had something similar today.
Was sitting at the shops, turned ACC on and radio would not operate from the power button, nothing.
So I started pushing anything on the steering wheel and away she went.
BUT…..
Then none of the dash controls or the touch screen nothing would work, couldn't turn it off yet all the steering wheel buttons worked OK.
Started the car turned it off, radio still going once the ACC or IGN were on so I muted the thing.
Decided she was buggered and then next start after locking the car at the shops and returning, it all came good.
I'm thinking there was some Bluetooth conflict with the iPhone but we've never had it previously.
  • i-30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Funny you should mention this but had something similar today.
Was sitting at the shops, turned ACC on and radio would not operate from the power button, nothing.
So I started pushing anything on the steering wheel and away she went.
BUT…..
Then none of the dash controls or the touch screen nothing would work, couldn't turn it off yet all the steering wheel buttons worked OK.
Started the car turned it off, radio still going once the ACC or IGN were on so I muted the thing.
Decided she was buggered and then next start after locking the car at the shops and returning, it all came good.
I'm thinking there was some Bluetooth conflict with the iPhone but we've never had it previously.

By your mention of the touch-screen - I can tell you have 'GD' model car.  Where as the original poster has an 'FD' model.   Of course the steering wheel audio controls still work the same way (if it ain't broken - why fix it).

Not sure about it being a Bluetooth conflict - but I am not going to say it isn't.   I have tested hardware and software for way too long to do that.   I can make a good, general, guess on what happened to your GD-01 (or GD-02) head-unit based on what you describe...

For whatever reason (maybe for the reason you stated) the processor in the head-unit ignored the inputs coming from the face-panel (it probably does matrix scanning of the buttons - based on number of conductors in the connections) - but the steering wheel controls (based on detecting different resistances) are read by a different method... so weren't affected.   Locking the car at the shops gave it enough time, or put it, in the 'off' state (e.g. battery to power to the 'Backup+'/'B+' pin - not the 'ACC' pin... which is what causes the unit to 'turn on'/light up) that the next time the unit started the matrix scanning of the front-panel worked.

Whilst I haven't managed to get the front-panel controls to lock - I have managed to make the GD-01 think it was outputting sound in radio mode when it wasn't - toggling between Mute On/Off had no effect to lack of sound.   To regain sound output you had to switch to different feature (like CD, Bluetooth, USB, etc.) then switch back to radio. See last paragraph of :link: Hello from a long time lurker
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal