i30 Owners Club

i30 electric steering column failure

Haydo · 26 · 17278

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Hi,

I know the issue has been covered in previous threads but just wanted to share and ask some advice.

\Friday night coming home from work I lost electric power steering in my i30. suddenly felt very heavy and noted that both the ESP and ESP OFF light were activated. My mechanic has informed me that the issue is definitely the Electric power steering column and he has verified with the local dealership that replacement of the column is most likely outcome.

I was wanting to know what other people's experiences are with this issue? if this is an issue that Hyundai recognize as a manufacturing issue? have people been able to negotiate repairs with Hyundai under a consumer guarantee such as 'fit for purpose'?

thanks very much in advance for any advice or assistance

regards
  • i30

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
 :welcomettc:

Which year and model do you have?

I don't recall threads about loss of power steering apart from cars built in the Czech Republic a while back, like mine.  But my memory ain't great. :)

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:welcomettc:

Which year and model do you have?

I don't recall threads about loss of power steering apart from cars built in the Czech Republic a while back, like mine.  But my memory ain't great. :)
Yeah. Pretty sure there were a couple a while back from Aussies on here.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Diablo,

I have a 2009 i30 Hatchback.

:welcome:

Damn! Just out of warranty. It certainly happens more than we would like to see Korean and Euro built FD model. I guess the failure rate is low as a % of totals sold but was one of the reasons I traded the Wife's 2010 CW on a new Tourer last year!

Can't recall any members getting a replacement free out of warranty (but I could be mistaken) Think you would have to be lucky enough to find  a dealer or a service manager who would go in to bat for you. I think there have been enough failures to argue the "fit for purpose" argument but whether ACCC would be willing to support you is another matter.

If you can find a 2nd hand replacement with a warranty "cheap", that is probably going to be your best outcome I'm afraid.

Search and browse on here for info (there is a quite a bit about this issue)  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Thanks very much Dazzler and others who have contributed to this conversation. I must say it is very frustrating and infuriating. up until this happened I really enjoyed my little Hyundai. now considering the cost of replacement $3800 (dealership just called). it hardly seems worth it to go forward with repairs. I have been quoted a price of $3000 just for the part.

I appreciate the feedback so far. thanks everyone.

regards
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:04:59 by Haydo »
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks very much Dazzler and others who have contributed to this conversation. I must say it is very frustrating and infuriating. up until this happened I really enjoyed my little Hyundai. now considering the cost of replacement $3800 (dealership just called). it hardly seems worth it to go forward with repairs. I have been quoted a price of $3000 just for the part.

regards

Make lots of noises, try every avenue including sourcing a second hand part and contacting the consumer association. You might still get a (relatively) happy ending. I think you can safely argue that a repair like this to a 6 year old car shouldn't cost aver a 3rd of the value of the car! Ridiculous!! :fum: :spitty:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

regards
I have already decided that if my power steering fails I'll go looking for a second hand unit and sell my car. Then I'll go looking for something a few years older with normal power steering,  maybe a Corolla or Celica and spend some money doing it up.
My wife's car will do as the family tourer.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Dazzler and Surferdude.

I have contacted Hyundai directly and have also contacted ACCC in regards to warranty and fit for services responsibilities. So far I have not heard anything back.

I did find another thread with a member having a very similar issue that seemed to be solved through a wheel alignment and computer reset. if it turns out that I am forced to get it fixed then I will also be getting second hand part and selling the vehicle and going back to a car with hydraulic steering.

if anyone knows of any other agencies that my be able to provide advice I would be happy to hear about them.

thanks so much to everyone so far. Will keep you updated on any progress
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:40:34 by Haydo »
  • i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
If it's applicable, I think Australian Consumer Law would be your best bet.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC

Hi,

I have contacted Hyundai and Consumer Affairs directly. nil responses as yet.
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi,

I have contacted Hyundai and Consumer Affairs directly. nil responses as yet.

No news is good news (provided it hasn't been too long) Keep harping! Hyundai will hope you go away. Remember the old adage.. "The squeaky wheel gets the oil".

Offline sallyid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Aranda, ACT
Hi Haydo

I got your message & thought I would post in the forum in this thread as well as in my previous thread.

Sorry for my long absence on this forum - for anyone who is interested just a quick update on my i30's power steering issues. The power steering has been fine since the last time I posted in October 2014 (after the reset & wheel alignment) I have driven about 13,0000km since then and the car was serviced at 90,000km as per Hyundai specifications.

I am very happy that I saved money and that my research and seeking of second/ third opinions paid off! However, I am not sure if I am just lucky ... also I am still a little concerned the problem could reoccur.

Will you keep posted. Although in this case no news is good news!
  • Hyundai i30 SX 2009

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
This is going to sound crazy - and I am possibly way off.   If you have never (if you have had it for a few years), or haven't recently, changed the battery... you might want to have it checked.

If it needs replacement after doing so, then follow the procedure to do the steering reset/calibration - if I remember correctly it is something like with key ON (but engine off), turn steering all the way one direction, then all the way to the other, return to centre - turn key OFF, remove key, wait a few minutes, start car..   I am sure it is mentioned elsewhere.

In the middle of my EPS issues (resulting in warranty - 4yo car - steering column replacement) my battery completely died - the Marshall guy was surprised the factory battery lasted that long and the car had been working (old battery read 7V sitting).   However I didn't know how to do the steering reset.   IIRC one of the codes that can pop out in these failures is, effectively, a low voltage error.   I am beginning to suspect that, while my column was replaced, it may have started (at least) with low voltage issues (this is a motor the does provide a good amount of power and with sensitive sensor/control).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 14:11:06 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
Hi Haydo

I got your message & thought I would post in the forum in this thread as well as in my previous thread.

Sorry for my long absence on this forum - for anyone who is interested just a quick update on my i30's power steering issues. The power steering has been fine since the last time I posted in October 2014 (after the reset & wheel alignment) I have driven about 13,0000km since then and the car was serviced at 90,000km as per Hyundai specifications.

I am very happy that I saved money and that my research and seeking of second/ third opinions paid off! However, I am not sure if I am just lucky ... also I am still a little concerned the problem could reoccur.

Will you keep posted. Although in this case no news is good news!

HI Sallyid

Thanks so much for getting back to me and providing your input into the thread. Whilst I am not 100% confident that I will have as successful outcome as yourself. It does give me some hope that I may just get out of this with only a slight dent in my pocket.

I am happy to hear that you and your i30 are still on the sans steering issues.

This is going to sound crazy - and I am possibly way off.   If you have never (if you have had it for a few years), or haven't recently, changed the battery... you might want to have it checked.

If it needs replacement after doing so, then follow the procedure to do the steering reset/calibration - if I remember correctly it is something like with key ON (but engine off), turn steering all the way one direction, then all the way to the other, return to centre - turn key OFF, remove key, wait a few minutes, start car..   I am sure it is mentioned elsewhere.

In the middle of my EPS issues (resulting in warranty - 4yo car - steering column replacement) my battery completely died - the Marshall guy was surprised the factory battery lasted that long and the car had been working (old battery read 7V sitting).   However I didn't know how to do the steering reset.   IIRC one of the codes that can pop out in these failures is, effectively, a low voltage error.   I am beginning to suspect that, while my column was replaced, it may have started (at least) with low voltage issues (this is a motor the does provide a good amount of power and with sensitive sensor/control).

Hi there ibrokeit,

I appreciate your input into my dilemma. I had read on a couple of other threads that low voltage was interfering with various aspects of performance. In my case the battery is relatively new (less than 12 months) but I will certainly get the dealership to look into it before they go an start replacing everything

thanks once again to all whom have contributed
  • i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is the dealer doing it as a warranty job?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Hi, I just saw this bit about resetting.  If I have a start/stop button, should I just do the same while the electronics are on?  ALso, is this supposed to work without any electrical assistance? Would this be very stiff to turn from side to side without the engine on?  Hope you can clarify for me :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I would jack the car up to unload the suspension. It's not good to move the steering whilst not moving forward or backwards.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
you can just drive slowly forward while going lock to lock, as long as you have enough space.

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
I recently replaced steering column on warranty. It get heavy and even disconnecting battery did not help. Ended up replacing whole. Fortunately i have warranty until March 2016. Also my ac compressor was replaced, because bearing failed.

Offline Haydo

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, VIC
UPDATE

good news!!. Got the car over to the hyundai dealership from the mechanic. Diagnositic on the car at the mechanics did indicate an issue with the electric steering column. I have spoken to the dealership today and the wonderful team have informed me after a thorough scan/look at the vehicle it was NOT the electric steering column. As it turns out it was a blown linked fuses that controls the steering as well as a bunch of other things.

I have in the past with this car replaced many headlight globes. Dealearship is saying that this shoddy fuse is linked to the headlight issue as well.

I am happy to say that the team at the dealership have replaced the fuse and the headlight globes. total cost in the end is $100 instead of the original $3800 I was quoted.

even though I have escaped a hefty bill this time round I still think I will be leaving the i30 and electric steering behind and sticking to good old hydraulic power steering

I would like to thank everyone who contibuted and helped out with advice. Particulary Dazzler, Surferdude, Diablo and Sallyid

regards

Haydo
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Splendid result :)

Quote from: Haydo
... My mechanic has informed me that the issue is definitely the Electric power steering column ...

Time to change your mechanic :whistler:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great news Haydo.

Don't bail out of the i30 too quickly.. Most cars are going with Electric steering assist now, so even if you switch to something without it, you will eventually have no option.

The i30 is generally one of the most reliable cars on the market, hence the success of this forum. We've had three of them for a total of 7 years and have not needed any significant warranty work on any of the three!

You could go out of the frying pan into the fire!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Hi, I just saw this bit about resetting.  If I have a start/stop button, should I just do the same while the electronics are on?  ALso, is this supposed to work without any electrical assistance? Would this be very stiff to turn from side to side without the engine on?  Hope you can clarify for me :)

Sorry I didn't actually do the procedure, because they replaced my column under warranty, I read it somewhere - it may have been here on the forum or in a TSB.

From memory I am pretty certain the engine wasn't running, just the ignition switch was in the 'ON' position.   I don't think it covered having start/stop button - so no idea.  In regards to "Would this be very stiff to turn side to side without the engine on?" - oh yeah...

I remember think f'ing sh*te that will make it a hard job - it was bad enough when turning to leave street-side car-parking. Ignoring that that you really shouldn't turn steering without the vehicle moving.

Maybe someone else will have more info.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 14:01:30 by ibrokeit »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
<snip>

Hi there ibrokeit,

I appreciate your input into my dilemma. I had read on a couple of other threads that low voltage was interfering with various aspects of performance. In my case the battery is relatively new (less than 12 months) but I will certainly get the dealership to look into it before they go an start replacing everything

thanks once again to all whom have contributed

Your welcome.   With your battery being less than 12months old - I would really hope it is nothing to do with it.   And I now see it didn't.   Great the problem is fixed.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 14:03:44 by ibrokeit »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
good news!!. Got the car over to the hyundai dealership from the mechanic. Diagnositic on the car at the mechanics did indicate an issue with the electric steering column. I have spoken to the dealership today and the wonderful team have informed me after a thorough scan/look at the vehicle it was NOT the electric steering column. As it turns out it was a blown linked fuses that controls the steering as well as a bunch of other things.

I have in the past with this car replaced many headlight globes. Dealearship is saying that this shoddy fuse is linked to the headlight issue as well.

Just wondering if you know which fuse, or fuses, they replaced?  Thanks.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal