i30 Owners Club

Nokia/Microsoft phones - anyone here using?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi all

I have an opportunity to get a Lumia 1320 phablet for a really good price on contract, the thing is that I don't know the Windows Phone OS too well as I have been an Android fundi for the past 4 years.

I am a bit worried as the apps seem limited compared to say iOS or Android.

Anyone here with one care to share the pro's and con's about these phones?

Ta!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
I use a Windows Nokia 635, perfect for my business needs, It has all the apps I require😉 Wife uses Android Motorola, uses very few apps. Mostly used for reading the papers......if you want all those imo unnecessary apps. get Android. We both use Viber. Radio best on Motorola. She prefers hers, I pay for both.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thanks Mike!

My main gripe would be the fact that I need to run the iParadox app (alarm system) and as of yet there is no support for it on WP, so sadly this would be a very big limiting factor for me. I could probably load it onto my Nexus but then I still am limited to Android where I would like to have a Lumia 1320 to converge my usage on my current Moto G and Nexus 7.

Decisions, decisions...

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have recently acquired a Microsoft Lumia 640 smart phone and I am in the process of getting used to it. Unlike my previous Samsung Galaxy Ace phone this one has connected to the car Bluetooth with no problems - and my full address book (contacts) has transferred to the car sweetly.

I also like the HERE Maps and sat nav App that comes with the phone because you download the maps to the phone and henceforth you don't need to use your data allowance or be connected via WiFi to use the maps or sat nav.

I am also comforted by the ability to dictate a text message and for the phone to convert the audio to text with surprising accuracy

Overall I find the Windows 8.1 OS solid and easy to use - and at an excellent pay-as-you-go cost.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thanks AlanHo for your insight.

My main gripe as I mentioned would be the lack of particularly the iParadox app, but other than that I don't really use any other apps on my Moto G - a few games here and there, the Gridwatch app to monitor rolling blackouts, a password vault, Evernote and Torque Pro. Oh, and Whatsapp of course.

I might give it a month and see if I still want it. Rather that than buyer's remorse :whistler:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Poor English but seems to be the ticket.
Let go button and see where it takes you. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Alan, I had a look at that site but my AV software went nuts so I closed it down again :neutral:

But thanks, I will have a look around :goodjob2:

In any case, I went and ordered the phone for a princely AU$9 a month which gives me 1GB of data to use per month. I figured since my current Nexus 7 data bundle runs out at the end of August, I could use the new SIM in there and keep the Lumia as a backup device in case family or friends are in need of a cellphone.

It should arrive tomorrow so I will post up here once it arrives :goodjob2:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Using apps other than those obtainable from the Microsoft  Lumia Store disrupts & causes conflictions. Not recommended at all😈

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Using apps other than those obtainable from the Microsoft  Lumia Store disrupts & causes conflictions. Not recommended at all😈

What  :exclaim: another monopoly, I hate that.  :fum: :fum: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hopefully not a monopoly, just a case of software compatibility. Either way, at least Android devices allow you to accept apps from other than the Play Store. :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Which is the way it should be, Gonz. I'll go Android when the time comes, I think. :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Update:

Phone arrived today and it is MASSIVE!

I set up Wifi and started downloading some apps...it doesn't seem as hobbled as people make it out to be and it may just become my daily phone soon. The size is something to get used to (that's what she said), but I like the interface and the little features here and there. Camera quality is decent - also 5MP like my Moto G - but the flashlight is dimmer by a big margin.

I will update here with my findings as I go along :goodjob2:

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I use Lumia 925, just to be different from my friends. I found Nokia phone interface is always easy for people.  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A bit off topic but this new OnePlus One phone has some pretty impressive specs for the price :link: OnePlus One - OnePlus.net snapdragon 801 quad core 2.7GHz with 3Gb ram and 13mp camera, not sure if it's available here in Aus yet though.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Instead of faster and bigger processors, ram & cameras, I just wish they'd make a mobile phone that doesn't need charging every day...

Remember the good old days when you could get nearly a week out of a single charge???  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you turn off unnecessary features then you should still get good battery, I'll get 4 days out of my iPhone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi disabled, 6 days if I put it in flight mode :) my brother will get 4 to 5 days out of his Samsung Note by disabling the same features.

The old phones would regularly last longer because they didn't do anything other than call an message.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

Hopefully not a monopoly, just a case of software compatibility. Either way, at least Android devices allow you to accept apps from other than the Play Store. :goodjob:
Windows Mobiles (8.1 - can be upgraded to 10) will accept alternative suppliers apps.
Best to avoid risks; over confliction with banking protection apps.  :eek:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

I set my phone up nicely last nice to kill the battery and got a nice red theme and a nice wallpaper to match it, only to not find one matching red protective cover in town today!

However, I did find a semi-translucent blue one for AU$6 that I bought and despite being a cheapy knock-off cover, sits really well and the build quality seems decent. Popped a 32GB microSD card into it and wagged my chin with customer care to get my SIM activated, as it didn't do it automatically for some reason.

4 hours before I can turn the handset on again and it should be setup good and proper :goodjob2:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you turn off unnecessary features then you should still get good battery, I'll get 4 days out of my iPhone with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi disabled, 6 days if I put it in flight mode :) my brother will get 4 to 5 days out of his Samsung Note by disabling the same features.

The old phones would regularly last longer because they didn't do anything other than call an message.

Thanks Craig, yes, I know I can do all that but really, if you're gonna turn everything off or put it in flight mode, then what's the point of having all those features?
After a quick browse of some of the more popular smart phone reviews, most seem to be lucky to get one day out of a charge...pretty damn woeful if you ask me.  :fum:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Battery technology has always been the thorn in the industry's side, from mobile devices all the way to submarines! :crazy1:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Not helped by the ever larger screens they are putting into phones these days...and, in some cases, smaller batteries...  :crazy2:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

Thanks Craig, yes, I know I can do all that but really, if you're gonna turn everything off or put it in flight mode, then what's the point of having all those features?
After a quick browse of some of the more popular smart phone reviews, most seem to be lucky to get one day out of a charge...pretty damn woeful if you ask me.  :fum:
I personally use gsmarena.com as they have a nice endurance rating where they use the phone reviewed in a set way and compare it across devices. But as others have said on here, battery tech has been standing still and that is the biggest bugbear of modern smartphones :(

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal