i30 Owners Club

Guidelines when reversing

Jade38 · 18 · 4764

Offline Jade38

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hello all,

First time poster who would really appreciate help as Google and Sales Reps cannot seem to provide the right answers..

I am looking to purchase a 2015 i30 Active X Series II as I quite like the car, its features and the way it felt when driving.
One of the feature I wanted in a car was guide lines when reverse parking. The sales rep told me that this feature would be available after installing a Kenwood Sat Nav. However when I took the car for a test drive, I didn't notice such a feature.  I also felt the sales rep was a bit dodgy and just said anything to try to sell to me, so I did some extra research online but I wasn't able to locate the answer.

If the Active X doesn't have guidelines when reverse parking, are my options to pick a diff car or replace the rear camera with a different model? If I were to change the camera, would this void any warranty on the car?

Apologies if my questions seem silly. This would be the first car I own and I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you!

• i30 Active X

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Do you mean guidelines like in the picture below? they're really only good for judging distance but as there are already reverse sensors to help with that I find the guide lines are rather pointless.

The previous model GD before the 2015 refresh had them so I would have expected the updated model to have them as well :undecided:

I don't know why the sales rep would have said a Kenwood satnav would be required, satnav has nothing to do with a reverse camera.

You can add an aftermarket reverse camera if you wish, it wont affect warranty, I had my reverse camera installed by The Car Kit Company :link: Reversing Cameras | The Car Kit Company

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Welcome Jade and as I sat wondering how to answer without insulting you,someone came along with some answers, No such thing as silly questions,but my thoughts on all the electronic aids and those that have to use them aren't worth mentioniong  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Welcome Jade ,
Well my old Dad has a new i30 Active petrol with auto trans, i had to use it when in Sydney last & it has reversing camera that has a line graph in the picture you see on dash monitor, thats when you select Reverse. i did not need to use it myself but my Father likes the feature. its stock with 2015 active auto

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Did you reverse the car on your test drive?  If you did and didn't see the massive screen in the centre console change to the rear view with the guidleines then it doesn't have it.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Looking at Hyundai Aus website suggests to me that the only one which MIGHT have the reverse camera is the Premium as it appears to have the 7" touchscreen as an addition to the rest of the range.  Even then the reverse camera to screen capability is not actually listed.....

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/specification-range

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Did you reverse the car on your test drive?  If you did and didn't see the massive screen in the centre console change to the rear view with the guidleines then it doesn't have it.

:welcomettc: Jade,

I test drove an active X the other day and I'm sure it had the reversing camera with lines (Pretty sure the base model does too)

Be aware though the radio has to have the power on for the camera to show (which I thought was odd as my last three non Hyundai cars all had reverse cameras that came on with the radio on or off!)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Looking at Hyundai Aus website suggests to me that the only one which MIGHT have the reverse camera is the Premium as it appears to have the 7" touchscreen as an addition to the rest of the range.  Even then the reverse camera to screen capability is not actually listed.....

:link: i30 Specifications and Range - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

All of the latest model i30's here in OZ have a rear view camera...  :)
This can be confirmed via the link... 

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Here's a screenshot from my GD Premy - are these the guidelines that you are referring to?

BTW - We hired a VW Passat last year in Tassie & when reversing, the guidelines in the screen turned in relation to the direction of the fron wheels

• i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Jade38

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice.

Yes, I am looking for the guidelines visible in the photos that i30premy posted. I understand these are not everyone's cup of tea, but my mother will also be driving this car and she said this helps her with reversing.

I will visit another dealer to see what they say around this feature. Their online brochures says all i30 series II have a rear view camera but remains unclear on whether the guidelines are standard too. The brochure also had a pic of the rear camera view on the Elantra Series II (Elite and Premium) which shows the guidelines (but never stated if this is also on the i30 Series II - I hate all this ambiguity~)

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:
  • i30 Active X

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
This shouldn't be a show stopper. If you desperately want the lines, stick them on the screen using some of that wyteboard stencil tape at OfficeWorks. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
This shouldn't be a show stopper. If you desperately want the lines, stick them on the screen using some of that wyteboard stencil tape at OfficeWorks. :whistler:

My 2014 Holden doesn't have the lines but the 2015 does (so they will add them with a software update at my next service)

I have front and rear sensors and a camera but was disappointed not to have the lines after having them in my previous car.

You do get used to NOT having them pretty quickly though!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

:link: i30 Specifications and Range - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

All of the latest model i30's here in OZ have a rear view camera...  :)
This can be confirmed via the link...

Looking again I see that the base model does indeed have a reverse camera listed - where does it display the image if you don't get the 7" screen until the Premium?  Or do they all now have the screen but it is only for radio/telephone/camera in the non Sat Nav cars?

@i30Premy - my i40 had the moving arc lines on the reverse camera, I miss that a bit with the static Cee'd / i30 version.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The lesser models make do with a 5" screen...  :)

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
DW loves the reversing camera & relies on a lot.

Unfortunately should also be relying on side mirrors when parked close to a concrete post & noticed it when a scrapping sound was heard coming from mirror when reversing one day  :'(
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I might be the odd one out but I like the guide lines , especially the red one that goes from side to side. I used to put a block of wood on the garage floor , when my front wheel touched that I knew the bum of the car was clear of the roller door now I just drive in put it in reverse get the red line on where the concrete changes from the driveway to the garage floor ( perfect ) room to walk around the front of the car and bum is clear and no tripping up over a wooden block. Yeh I know get a life .  :lol:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice.

Yes, I am looking for the guidelines visible in the photos that i30premy posted. I understand these are not everyone's cup of tea, but my mother will also be driving this car and she said this helps her with reversing.

I will visit another dealer to see what they say around this feature. Their online brochures says all i30 series II have a rear view camera but remains unclear on whether the guidelines are standard too. The brochure also had a pic of the rear camera view on the Elantra Series II (Elite and Premium) which shows the guidelines (but never stated if this is also on the i30 Series II - I hate all this ambiguity~)

:crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

If the car is fitted with a 'GD-02' head-unit (and I am pretty sure it wil/shouldl be) it will have 'GD-02' printed somewhere on the faceplate.   Then it will have the guidelines.

These are generated by the head-unit itself (literally over-layed on whatever image is feed to the unit). I have 'played' with a 'GD-02' (made in 1st quarter of this year) on the 'bench' - made it think reverse had been selected... guidelines appeared (in this case over a blue-screen as no camera was connected).

I am unsure as to why the dealer is telling you an aftermarket unit is needed for it (and would that unit actually fit in with facade of dash anyway) - I would be suspicious.
Re-reading the original post... I wouldn't be trusting that dealer/salesman at all, I call 'bovine excrement'. An aftermarket unit is not required to enable a std. feature of the vehicle. I can think of one 'dirty trick' that would explain why it wasn't seen - that is if the head-unit had already been replaced with one that doesn't show rear-view, so the 'aftermarket' option can be sold.

Of course an issue with aftermarket head-units is the facade of the dash - in the current generation i30s (GD body) this is much less of an issue (as a replacement surround is just drop in) and can look good - :link: Kenwood Sat Nav install in i30 GD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 10:00:03 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Kerston

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, QLD

:welcomettc: Jade,

I test drove an active X the other day and I'm sure it had the reversing camera with lines (Pretty sure the base model does too)

Be aware though the radio has to have the power on for the camera to show (which I thought was odd as my last three non Hyundai cars all had reverse cameras that came on with the radio on or off!)

Welcome Jade.
I brought the Active series 2 in May.
Mine has the guidelines but I still prefer my mirrors over them.
So if be guessing that the Active X would have it.
I hope that helps
  • 2016 Hyundai Tucson Highlander AWD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal