i30 Owners Club

New Tyres Already?

KylieR · 30 · 7360

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
Just had my 47,000k service today, and the two front tyres have been labelled un roadworthy, and there is apparently 0% tread left or whatever that means. The two back tyres have 2.5mm left. The tyres haven't been rotated in 18 months - something I assumed the dealer would do for me considering they did it when the car was six months old.

I took the car to a bloke in town to get him to see how long I could drive around on them and he said I'd be fine through Xmas, and am booked in for two new tyres on the 12th of January.

The tyres themselves, when I look at them, are white. Whether that is just dust from the road, who knows. They have tiny little white spots on them which I assume is the wear.

My question is - why should I expect new tyres after such a low amount of ks? And how low does the tread need to get before I need to replace them - and is it okay to drive around for another three weeks?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The tyres would have lasted a lot longer if they were aligned every 10,000, if there is white stuff showing through where the tread has worn away then that is probably the canvas and not safe to drive on imo and they are illegal.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Pictures would be good, but in any event, at Xmas time the police do many random checks on cars. If someone has labelled them 0%, that means no tread. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR, AS YOUR INSURANCE IS NOW INVALID, YOU ARE NOT COVERED.

Please book your car in immediately for tyre replacement and wheel alignment as well. :disapp:

Tyres have a tread wear indicator built in to them. A line of rubber in the tread. If any tread wears to that line in any way the car is unroadworthy and uninsured.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 10:15:57 by Phil №❶ »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline KylieR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Bendigo, Victoria
    • MyWinterStorm83
The guy I went to took a look and said they were okay to drive through Xmas. Its not canvas I am seeing, if it was, I'd shit myself!

I have been doing a bit of googling, and I found that when the tread is very low, you can have trouble braking, something which I have had issues with for several weeks now. I thought it was a problem with the brakes themselves, not the tyres. Now I discover differently, I might call the guy tomorrow after work and see if I can get them replaced a lot sooner. I don't like the idea of driving a car that doesn't stop when I brake.

I will be making sure my dealer does things properly next time around.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Please remember that the guy who said they'd be safe for xmas isn't going to pay for the repairs to your car and the other vehicle(s) you damage in an accident, neither will your insurer.

It's not possible to have 0% and ok tyres at the same time. There's some bullsh*t there.

BTW have you been on a date with a South African member recently?

• 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Keep in mind that unless you ask for an alignment it is not part of your normal service, my preference would be to get the alignment done at a professional tyre fitters and not by Hyundai.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All good advice above, Kylie.
I'll add a couple of things if I may.
The "white stuff" is a worry. Rubber is black. The only lighter coloured components in the tyre are the belts under the tread which are there for a number of reasons. Normally 2 steel belts (encased in rubber) and an over riding fabric belt - normally polyester (also encased in rubber). But when the tyre wears down to a certain point it will wear the rubber away from the belts - the outer, fabric belt first. It's not canvas (but would have been 40 years ago). However it may well look white.
If this is what's happened then definitely do not drive any distance. And also, if that is what's happened, find another tyre "expert". He has put you and other road users in a dangerous situation.
In itself, 47,000 klms out of the front tyres on a front wheel drive car is not bad, although a few on here have done much better. And others considerably less (myself included). But regular rotation may well have taken them past 50,000, although not much more given you only have 2.5 (I'm unsure if this is % or mm) left on the rear, Either is not a lot.
If you can post a photo on here - even from a phone, as long as it is in focus, I can tell you more.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The "white stuff" is a worry. Rubber is black. The only lighter coloured components in the tyre are the belts under the tread which are there for a number of reasons. Normally 2 steel belts (encased in rubber) and an over riding fabric belt - normally polyester (also encased in rubber). But when the tyre wears down to a certain point it will wear the rubber away from the belts - the outer, fabric belt first. It's not canvas (but would have been 40 years ago). However it may well look white.
If this is what's happened then definitely do not drive any distance. And also, if that is what's happened, find another tyre "expert". He has put you and other road users in a dangerous situation.
In itself, 47,000 klms out of the front tyres on a front wheel drive car is not bad, although a few on here have done much better. And others considerably less (myself included). But regular rotation may well have taken them past 50,000, although not much more given you only have 2.5 (I'm unsure if this is % or mm) left on the rear, Either is not a lot.
If you can post a photo on here - even from a phone, as long as it is in focus, I can tell you more.

The voice of reason.
Is your real name John?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

The voice of reason.
Is your real name John?  :undecided:
I don't get it???

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
You're The Voice
Age of Reason
John F........?   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You're The Voice
Age of Reason
John F........?   :)
:disapp: :P :p :goodjob2:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
47,000 isn't bad.

I replaced the Wife's at around 40k of stop start city driving (rotating the 4 tyres).

I got 60k out of my first set of Kumhos (rotating the 5 tyres) 95% highway driving and 40k out of the second set of Hankooks.

I put a set of Toyo's on the Wife's car and will be interested to see what she gets out of them.\

At the end of the day, the FWD vehicle steers and accelerates through the front wheels so wear is always going to be bad in the front. Still it's not so bad, the original Aurion we had at work was chewing the front set every 8k......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
Sounds dangerous as others have pointed out. Go get a 2nd opinion and be ready to get the replacements on the spot.

I used to get Bridgestone potenzas that were so soft that 25k were a good run. My god, could those tires grip!
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I used to get Bridgestone potenzas that were so soft that 25k were a good run. My god, could those tires grip!
When I was doing my tyre searching for the new rims two of the Major businesses here have pulled Yokohamas from their product range due to poor tyre wear/life, 30k estimate is just not good enough when most should be 60k achievable with silica tyres now days, my new Hankooks are given an 80k guarantee if serviced/aligned every 10,000 and they estimate 100k lifetime :D 

Offline PiL

• 3rd Gear
  • Lord and Master

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

• Pump it Loud
100k is impressive.  :goodjob2:
My rationale back then was that since speeding is illegal in a straight line, and more fun is had on twisty bits anyway, I wanted the best gripping tires to cain around twisty roads.  :D
  • GDe i30 tourer elite diesel

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Tyre wear all depends on how and where you drive.

If most city driving then 47.000 km is great. If most motorway, then it could be better. If you drive for fun it will wear faster than driving for best economy.

Remember that on a FWD car the front tyres both accelerate, brake and steer, all things that add to the wear.

Have a look at this video. You can actually very easy check your tyres.

:link: How to Check Tyre Tread Depth | Blackcircles.com
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Kylie, Not much I can say that hasn't already been said (but that won't stop me) :D

When I was young and silly, I used to wear my tyres out in 30,000 kms.. Now I am old and silly they last 50-55 K  :victory:

Like others have said 47K is not bad.  :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Tyre wear all depends on how and where you drive.

If most city driving then 47.000 km is great. If most motorway, then it could be better. If you drive for fun it will wear faster than driving for best economy.

Remember that on a FWD car the front tyres both accelerate, brake and steer, all things that add to the wear.

Have a look at this video. You can actually very easy check your tyres.

:link: How to Check Tyre Tread Depth | Blackcircles.com

We have that stupid concrete highway which takes its toll on them....

Problem with those tyre deals is the cost of the 10k wheel alignment (say $50) exceeds the saving from the tyres lasting. Most only give you a pro rata refund if they don't make it (so if you pay $100 for the tyre and it lasts 90,000k expect $10 cold hard cash.....On the other side you have paid $450 for the wheel alignments).

I have done one wheel alignment on my car in 121,000k so would regard every 10k as excessive.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
 :whistler:

• i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I do a wheel alignment on demand.

The good Wife's car had one at 40k with the tyres as the tyres showed wear.

I have got my last 2 sets of wheels from Ebay from people who replaced them with mags. When you spend $120 on 4 tyres, and there is no visible wear why risk someone stuffing your alignment up?

Offline fangfarrier

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hills District , Brisbane
My understanding has been that OEM tyres have less tread depth (therefore cheaper to supply) than aftermarket/ replacement tyres so will never return the mileage of replacements.

• GD i30 SR auto

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
My understanding has been that OEM tyres have less tread depth (therefore cheaper to supply) than aftermarket/ replacement tyres so will never return the mileage of replacements.
Absolutely not true fangfarrier.
The costs in tooling to produce a tyre with less tread as against just keeping the factory running and pumping them out don't work out.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Problem with those tyre deals is the cost of the 10k wheel alignment (say $50) exceeds the saving from the tyres lasting. Most only give you a pro rata refund if they don't make it (so if you pay $100 for the tyre and it lasts 90,000k expect $10 cold hard cash.....On the other side you have paid $450 for the wheel alignments).

I have done one wheel alignment on my car in 121,000k so would regard every 10k as excessive.
10k is the usual recommended period to check for alignment issues, if your leaving it till you see wear then that is already to late :disapp:

When forking out nearly a $1000 for 4 x 18" tyres then you want to look after them, an alignment is $45 which includes front and rear and you only pay if the vehicle needs to be adjusted.

$360 to double the life of the tyre is well worth it in my eyes as you not only improving your tyre life but extending the life of things like wheel bearings as well, more important when the even more expensive tyres reach in excess off $400 each.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

more important when the even more expensive tyres reach in excess off $400 each.

This is my reality in 6 months time. The three tyres I am choosing between range from $380-$420ea. I will definitely be doing rotate and wheel alignment every oil change. The plus for me is I can do it myself.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are the expensive tyres going to be for the Jeep Tim?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Not much I can add,but if your getting 47,000 K's out of tyres without rotating ever service(7500 k's)your doing Bloody well,I've had expensive tyres on my cars,they only last the same times as the cheap ones I get now,all four corners 215/45 17's less than $500
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Must say I'm surprised so many of you think an alignment is necessary every 10.000 km or so.

Do you all drive on very bad dirtroads or what's going on... :question:

When we serviced a VW or Skoda every 30.000 km we checked for tyrewear, but very rare found it necessary to perform an alignment.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Must say I'm surprised so many of you think an alignment is necessary every 10.000 km or so.

Do you all drive on very bad dirtroads or what's going on... :question:

When we serviced a VW or Skoda every 30.000 km we checked for tyrewear, but very rare found it necessary to perform an alignment.
Car and tyre manufacturers both recommend  it,
It's certainly not necessary a lot of the time. the trouble is, the average punter seems to have no idea when they've done something which may have disturbed the alignment thus severe, uneven wear can occur very quickly.
Most people don't have regular alignments and often pay the price in tyres.
Speaking for myself, I've had two alignments in 75,000 klms. One when I hit a particularly nasty pothole in heavy rain (it was OK). And one when I fitted new tyres (Minor toe adjustment F & R)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Are the expensive tyres going to be for the Jeep Tim?

Yeah mate 265/70r17.

On the note of wheel alignments. I think when I was doing them more regularly I recon 1 in 20 were close to spec. But that was align by request/required not every 10k.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you hurry Bridgestone have a buy 3 get the 4th free offer until the 20/12 on their Ecopia tyres

So are continental but only on their more expensive ContiMaxContact or ContiComfortContact tyres through selected retailers.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal