Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For me....

A two lane road without indication of a right only filter

Approaching traffic lights on red and in lane 1 a number of vehicles, some indicating left and in lane 2 there is 1 vehicle.

Vehicle in lane 2 has no indicators on.

As am going straight on decide to go in lane 2.

Traffic light change to red/amber then green and vehicle in lane 2 then indicates right.

Vehicle moves forward slightly but due to traffic can not turn right nor is there a filter lane.

I can not get past or move to my left due to traffic in lane 1.

Lights change to red so have to stay put until lights go thro' sequence again......
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Yep. That's one of my favourites.  :evil:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:whsaid: but I wouldn't have used the word favourite!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
One of my biggest peeves is people indicating right to go straight ahead through roundabouts.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Incorrect use of indicators, or non-use of indicators.  I know Tassie cars are optioned for indicators, but it seems that most owners don't take that option.

I'm with you Cruiser, you need to indicate when you leave the roundabout, not enter.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Tailgating is my pet hate - as a recent tailgater is going to discover to his cost, via evidence from my rear car camera.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I could usually read what driver in front will do & I just move to other lane so as not to get stuck.
Now we have a lot of dedicated right turn lanes so u don't get stuck behind someone that does not think it important to use indicators.when approaching traffic lights or where ever they plan to turn right or left.
I don't like following someone that drives 20 below speed limit for a long distance & there is no overtaking lane & double lines, then you come to overtaking lane & they speed up to 10 over the speed limit, only to slow back down to 20 below speed limit when over taking lane end's.
Where did this practice originate I wonder?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I don't like following someone that drives 20 below speed limit for a long distance & there is no overtaking lane & double lines, then you come to overtaking lane & they speed up to 10 over the speed limit, only to slow back down to 20 below speed limit when over taking lane end's.

That's where the auto comes into it's own. In my COMMODORE I just press a little harder, drop from 4 to 3 and woosh, they're history. AND, I don't even have Dazz's 210 Kw engine.  :exclaim: :happydance:

My cannon at the rear let's them know they've just been overtaken, too. :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Another is when a vehicle coming out of a side road, minor road,  stick out the bonnet onto the main road so you either have to stop or deviate to prevent hitting them.

And another
Rule of road is if your side of the road is blocked by an obstruction you only proceed if by venturing onto the opposite side it is clear to for the full length of the obstruction.

How many times do vehicles just plough thro' causing you to stop or change course and put a hand up TO THANK YOU!!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Tailgating is my pet hate - as a recent tailgater is going to discover to his cost, via evidence from my rear car camera.

Hi Alan, hey our Dazz has told us in the past he is a hopeless Tailgater, so it might be a lovely bloke Like Dazz.
What I do if someone tail gates is  I speed up if possible & not if I have to go over speed limit to do so, if the continue to tail gate I wait till it's safe & I pull over let them pass, I would rather them in front than real close behind me. I once had to brake hard as a police car with lights & siren went though a red light in front of me & the two cars I was following braked had, car behind me went up my rear, I was driving a truck so was blocking his view, still he should have allowed a safe distance for things like that to happen. A lot don't think just in big hurry.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

That's where the auto comes into it's own. In my COMMODORE I just press a little harder, drop from 4 to 3 and woosh, they're history. AND, I don't even have Dazz's 210 Kw engine.  :exclaim: :happydance:

My cannon at the rear let's them know they've just been overtaken, too. :mrgreen:

Hey Phil I can do that on my MC without shifting down it has instant torque & power to weight, but I don't want to have to speed to pass them when they are going to drive 20 below speed limit, I'm trying to work out where this practice originated & why?
Do they do it in SA too?
They do it bad in NSW, not sure if it's as bad in VIC , but they do it in QLD too my driving in VIC has mostly been on motorway's & in the city( crazy buggers down there in city ) but ok down VIC on country roads from what I saw, I even had slow coaches move off the road to let others pass in VIC

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
Lack of indicators/misuse seems to be a big contender here, and it is one of my pet peeves as well (I've been guilty of both on the odd occasion due to brain farts). So since this one is done, my list includes but is not limited to:

1) tailgating
2) failing to keep left at any speed
3) queuing across intersections

I would also add that QLD has two "merging" rules that govern which car gives way. I don't see why this needs to be so, and often think that it makes more sense to have just one rule that makes it clear and simple; if you're in front of the mid point of the other car, you have right of way.
It also doesn't help that QLD has a large number of merging lanes that are ridiculously short, or in some cases have been stupidly designed as such that they have had to have speed limits lowered.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Lakes,

I think it's basic human nature not to want to follow. You have the risk of stone chip damage, exhaust smell, road spray and less forward vision if your'e following. Depending on my mood, I either let them go and slow down to provide enough room or I take no prisoners, depends on the day.

Can't say I've seen much of it in SA, but I'm sure it does happen.

Regarding bikes, yes, I used to love passing cars when I had my BMW Bike on the old riad to Murray Bridge, but too cold where I live now.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@Lakes,

I think it's basic human nature not to want to follow. You have the risk of stone chip damage, exhaust smell, road spray and less forward vision if your'e following. Depending on my mood, I either let them go and slow down to provide enough room or I take no prisoners, depends on the day.

Can't say I've seen much of it in SA, but I'm sure it does happen.

Regarding bikes, yes, I used to love passing cars when I had my BMW Bike on the old riad to Murray Bridge, but too cold where I live now.

That make's sence, thank's Phil. I don't like following 4WD's (but now own one ) don't like having my view blocked but find ok following trucks as they know what they are doing & where they are going. My friend mentioned Murry Bridge as being a nice ride.
I used to like the V8 auto had good torque & like you said hit the throtle & they kick back to use best ratio & off you go. Just now the chasser's use radar so only have to speed around a bend have one coming toward you & you pay. That's what upsets me I think if you drive at a speed when you hit overtaking stay at that speed. I'm not perfect as have been booked just not for a long time & want to stay that way.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
One of my biggest peeves is people indicating right to go straight ahead through roundabouts.

Agree, amazing the amount of cars that do that. :evil:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Alan, hey our Dazz has told us in the past he is a hopeless Tailgater, so it might be a lovely bloke Like Dazz.

Gee thanks John..  :goodjob: Actually Trish tells me I am a hopeless tailgater (sometime she is right)

I am not as bad as some, I sometimes drive 2 or 3 car lengths from the car in front but have got better since copping a stone chip in the Hybrid screen and getting collision avoidance system on the new car. Only tail ended (slightly) one car in 39 years of driving and it was their fault as they started to pull out into a merging lane then changed their mind (it was more than 20 years ago) :cool: 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Gee thanks John..  :goodjob: Actually Trish tells me I am a hopeless tailgater (sometime she is right)

I am not as bad as some, I sometimes drive 2 or 3 car lengths from the car in front but have got better since copping a stone chip in the Hybrid screen and getting collision avoidance system on the new car. Only tail ended (slightly) one car in 39 years of driving and it was their fault as they started to pull out into a merging lane then changed their mind (it was more than 20 years ago) :cool:
Whilst  I agree they may have caused it Dazz, if you hit someoen from behind, you're ALWAYS in the wrong in the eyes of the law.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Whilst  I agree they may have caused it Dazz, if you hit someoen from behind, you're ALWAYS in the wrong in the eyes of the law.

Luckily no real damage.. only to my pride .. a horrible old duck got out of the car and abused the crap out of me!  :fum: :censored:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As a native Victorian living in SA, the habit of arrogant, ignorant, self-righteous driving in the right lane in all speed zones is the worst for me, and they ignore any flashing or blairing. :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As a native Victorian living in SA, the habit of arrogant, ignorant, self-righteous driving in the right lane in all speed zones is the worst for me, and they ignore any flashing or blairing. :disapp:

in Victoria  :Pout:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Bloody Nora,where do I start,anyone here,who CAN NOT,read,speak and fully understand English should not have a license
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Bloody Nora,where do I start,anyone here,who CAN NOT,read,speak and fully understand English should not have a license

That would disqualify a lot of drivers around here...   :snigger:   :snigger:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

fully understand English

What about our members who have english as a second language!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

That would disqualify almost all of Tasmania from driving then.  Although many of their relatives arrived here in the 1800s, I'm sure they don't understand English.  BTW, the most grammatically correct English speakers in my experience are people with English as a second language (in particular, the Indians - dots, not feathers).

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That would disqualify almost all of Tasmania from driving then.  Although many of their relatives arrived here in the 1800s, I'm sure they don't understand English.  BTW, the most grammatically correct English speakers in my experience are people with English as a second language (in particular, the Indians - dots, not feathers).
:fum: :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

I've met hundreds if not thousands of Indians in my lifetime and have yet come to find one who actually speaks OR understands english
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I'm with you Cruiser, you need to indicate when you leave the roundabout, not enter.

In W.A. you need to indicate left ALWAYS when leaving a roundabout.  :goodjob2:
Plus, you also need to indicate right as you approach the roundabout (at 6 o'clock) if you intend to exit at 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock and indicate left when 90 degrees away from your exit.
It's not that hard, but you'd think it was.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

In W.A. you need to indicate left ALWAYS when leaving a roundabout.  :goodjob2:
Plus, you also need to indicate right as you approach the roundabout (at 6 o'clock) if you intend to exit at 3 o'clock or 6 o'clock and indicate left when 90 degrees away from your exit.
It's not that hard, but you'd think it was.

Yes that maybe the law,but it is not rocket science,if a car is coming towards you and not indicating anything,you would make the wild assumption they are going straight through,if left indicator on they're turning left (you hope)if their right indicator yes you would think they are turning right

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
I dislike people who drive at under the speed limit coming up to traffic lights. They then drive straight through when it turns red but I need to stop.  It has happened countless times to me, including last night when I was in a hurry to get somewhere.   :eek:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal