i30 Owners Club

I30 turbo failure & warranty issue

mick 62 · 51 · 17059

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
 Hi all ,have been meaning to join this forum for some time but after recent events feel I have something of general interest. I own a 2010 I30 diesel which has been a great car up till a month ago when the turbo disintegrated & did enough damage to ruin the engine as well. The engine had 113,900 km on it & has 7 months left of the 5 year warranty.It has always been serviced on time with genuine parts & synthetic oils. I have had it serviced by a licensed motor mechanic friend who signed off all the services, stating what fluids & filters were changed. Of course Hyundai is using every excuse under the sun to claim the warranty is void- hence the current involvement of the department of fair trading. That's my problem.......my question is are there any other cases out there with a similar catastrophic event that occurred with no warning?
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: Mick

Sorry to hear about your tail of woe.. Catastrophic Turbo failure is pretty well unheard of on here..

Hopefully with the support of your mechanic you will get a positive result.  :fingers:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sorry to hear about your problem there mick 62 :disapp:

What are Hyundai exactly saying has voided your warranty? I'm wondering if it's the oil filter as I was warned prior to my first service by the service manager that Hyundai are very strict against the use of 3rd party oil filters.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Bad news indeed, sorry to hear this, but it does add weight to the fact that servicing outside the Hy dealerships opens a can of worms which you wouldn't have to deal with, had you stayed with the OEM. Secondly, you have an additional complication if using a 3rd party filter. Hy may determine that the filter caused your problem and the warranty should be sought from the filter manufacturer, good luck with that. :fum:

As I said, really sorry but I use Hy for servicing and HY parts, which I buy cheaper than HY charge for this very reason.

Good luck.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Bad news indeed, sorry to hear this, but it does add weight to the fact that servicing outside the Hy dealerships opens a can of worms which you wouldn't have to deal with, had you stayed with the OEM. Secondly, you have an additional complication if using a 3rd party filter. Hy may determine that the filter caused your problem and the warranty should be sought from the filter manufacturer, good luck with that. :fum:

As I said, really sorry but I use Hy for servicing and HY parts, which I buy cheaper than HY charge for this very reason.

Good luck.
Phil, Mick said genuine parts..... You are entitled to use a non Hyundai service centre.. hope you win Mick.. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

Welcome Mick.
I agree with Dazz. I hope you win if everything has been done by the book.
It is perfectly legal to use a third party accredited mechanic.
If the filter turns out to be the issue, I would expect the filter manufacturer to assist you.
I wonder where Hyundai get their filters from.  :undecided:
As I understand it, some after market filters exceed manufacturers specifications anyway.
After all, Hyundai use their warranty to sell the car so they should stand by it IMO.
One of the main reasons I chose to leave Hyundai as far as the servicing is concerned was that the dealership service manager couldn't even tell me what oil they used.
Plus the fact that they change brands whenever they get a better deal for themselves.
I prefer to have my car serviced fully & properly and I trust my service centre which is meticulous in making sure the servicing schedule is adhered to.
I also prefer to choose my oil when I buy my car and then use that same oil for the duration of my ownership.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
 Thanks for the welcome & good wishes guys ! To clarify things I have only used hyundai filters & Shell ultra synthetic 5w40 oil. Apparently my service records aren't detailed enough & I don't have a service validation stamp ! I guess a rubber stamp on paper is a sign of a good service !
     I'll let you know how it all ends, I've been told if arbitration doesn't get a result  in a month,  it will go before a Judge & his decision is final............... :scared:
  • 2010 i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks for the welcome & good wishes guys ! To clarify things I have only used hyundai filters & Shell ultra synthetic 5w40 oil. Apparently my service records aren't detailed enough & I don't have a service validation stamp ! I guess a rubber stamp on paper is a sign of a good service !
     I'll let you know how it all ends, I've been told if arbitration doesn't get a result  in a month,  it will go before a Judge & his decision is final............... :scared:

I'm sure that if done by indy then Hy require an itemised bill in addition to any stamp in the book.

so have you got these?

The T&C are detailed in the handbook/service book so have you checked these?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi mick 62

:wttc:

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but looking forward to hear the outcome of this.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
OK, genuine parts, well that's 1 argument sorted at least, however there are many members that do NOT use OEM parts, so be warned fellas.

Can you describe how the failure occurred and whether there were any warning signs before at all. This is a very rare fault, than goodness. I believe, a sign of failure is the commencement of a whine becoming evident, not unlike a large truck turbo engine.

What type of driving do you do, high speed driving and stopping with engine off are NOT recommended as the oil, as good as it is, can cook onto the turbo shaft, like fat on an oily frypan. It can't be removed and becomes a source of friction which can lead to failure. Could this have happened to you. It is recommended that after high speed driving that you cruise or idle the engine at least for 1 minute to allow the shaft to cool a little.

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
Yesterday I got a visit from a fellow from the the department of fair trading who inspected my vehicle & paper work- all in all he was satisfied the vehicle had been serviced correctly- he did point out that there was no proof that all the written entries in my service book hadn't all been written in in one night ! I'm guessing this was one of hyundais argument's- I pointed out that all my receipts for parts matched the service dates. So this is the sort of scrutiny I am under. The ball is back Hyundai's court............ By the way the turbo shaft had sheared which I guess was the beginning of the end !  To answer your ? Phil there was no warning of the failure ,I was reving up to about 4k in 2nd gear heard a a pop/click sound & lost power -actually thought the aftercooler hose may have popped off .....had a look under the bonnet  couldn't see any thing out of the ordinary, moved the car around the corner off the highway & noted lots of white smoke behind me...... So if you ever see white smoke pull over shut it down & get it towed to your dealer !
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:50:45 by mick 62 »
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dogsbody

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Railton, Tasmania
"What type of driving do you do, high speed driving and stopping with engine off are NOT recommended as the oil, as good as it is, can cook onto the turbo shaft, like fat on an oily frypan. It can't be removed and becomes a source of friction which can lead to failure. Could this have happened to you. It is recommended that after high speed driving that you cruise or idle the engine at least for 1 minute to allow the shaft to cool a little."

Can anyone tell us the intricacies of the turbos, particularly the bearing arrangement ?  Are we using ball bearing type arrangements (on the GD torbo) or ceramic plain bearings.  The ball bearing arrangement is much less prone to shutdown lubrication related failure. 

The owners manual warns against shutting down the engine early after prolonged high speed driving etc, stating that the engine needs to run for some time to allow the turbocharger to cool.  I know our turbos aren't water cooled, but I'm interested in what the bearing arrangement is.
  • MY14 i30 Elite CRDi Auto, white

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
O.K for the record...the car's usual workday is a 40km round trip on the highway from one country town to another. My wife is the main driver & drives it  gently but knows not to labour the engine. When I drive I'll blow the cobwebs out but well below redline & always let it idle down for a minute IF it has been working hard. This engine has had a easy life - I'm going to go with the S__t Happens line of thought because as inconvenient  as it is for Hyundai sometimes it just does !  :whistler:
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

O.K for the record...the car's usual workday is a 40km round trip on the highway from one country town to another. My wife is the main driver & drives it  gently but knows not to labour the engine. When I drive I'll blow the cobwebs out but well below redline & always let it idle down for a minute IF it has been working hard. This engine has had a easy life - I'm going to go with the S__t Happens line of thought because as inconvenient  as it is for Hyundai sometimes it just does !  :whistler:
Thanks... you sound like a fair and reasonable person.. :goodjob: and good luck!

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
Got a call from The Department of fair trading today...............Hyundai is not going to honour the warranty... BUT they are going to do the repair as a act of GOOD WILL ! - Call it what you like but I reckon that's a good result . :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:        :goodjob2:
  • 2010 i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Good result, mick 62.  So basically Hyundai aren't admitting that they should do the warranty work, but they are doing the warranty work?   :head_butt:

:goodjob:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
My 'goodwill' would be long gone if they tried that stunt on me.....

Any service manager who says that using a non Hyundai part voids the warranty is actually engaging in anti competitive practice and is breaking the law. You can use any filter so long as it complies with the specs.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Result. Yep :goodjob:

Wait until the repair is complete, and you're happy with it, then bad-mouth Hyundai all over the internet of things.

Oh, hang on...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory: :happydance:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Good to hear, Mick...   :victory:

Sometimes it pays off to take the battle...  :victory:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
Your not going to believe this ! the guy from hyundai who said they'd repair it rang Fair Trading & said he only thought  the turbo was damaged & would only cover the cost of the turbo..........guess he didn't read all the info I sent him including the workshop report saying the engine was hydraulically locked. So after all that it is not over yet ! Stay tuned we may be going to see a judge after all. :head_butt:
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp: :sweating: :fum:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Your not going to believe this ! the guy from hyundai who said they'd repair it rang Fair Trading & said he only thought  the turbo was damaged & would only cover the cost of the turbo..........guess he didn't read all the info I sent him including the workshop report saying the engine was hydraulically locked. So after all that it is not over yet ! Stay tuned we may be going to see a judge after all. :head_butt:

Nice try, but he won't get away with that. The design of the turbo is such that at failure, with engine running, the boost which was available will cease and be replaced by vacuum due to the action of the pistons drawing in air. This would naturally draw in any metal fragments from the turbo turbine, possibly damaging the bores, pistons, injectors & valves etc. A full pull down of the motor, would be an expected requirement IMO.

Offline mick 62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Maitland, NSW
Problem solved....or is it ?! I was prepared to take this claim as far as I could- it seems every time I stood my ground  hyundai's warranty guy would give a little more ground- so in the end  I was asked to return the vehicle to the dealer to see how siezed the engine was & if it wasn't siezed they would remove the head & inspect for damage ,debris etc. The Turbo & aftercooler would be also changed as a act of good will........
   I get a phone call saying pick up the car it's all fixed.....Yep it's running fine ,so I ask how did the head look- they don't know as they only changed the turbo & aftercooler- thats all they were asked to do. I ask do you really believe that the engine oil that got sucked through the aftercooler would have been free of broken turbo ?! No answer just DUMB looks : :wacko: :wacko: Well if it stuffs up "I'll be back" asta la vista baby. What a pain in the backside -just the way they wanted it to be . The bottom line is if you don't service your vehicle through a Hyundai dealer they will do their best to squirm out of warranty. Interestingly I was looking at a Kia Rio only yesterday & said I have my own licensed mechanic who does not have have a licenced buisness & would that be O.K. ? The sales guy tells me if I use genuine oils & filters that would be fine......Heard that before ! If you go down this road keep detailed records & be prepared to be immune to bullshit- you'll be hearing lots of it.
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I hope this is the end of your problem.

As far as servicing outside HY, I imagine all manufacturers would adopt a similar stance. The turbo is an expensive item and it broke without any Hy technician having the opportunity to inspect or repair the device during the car's lifetime. I think you've done pretty well, actually.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Thanks for the update Mick.  :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I hope this is the end of your problem.

As far as servicing outside HY, I imagine all manufacturers would adopt a similar stance. The turbo is an expensive item and it broke without any Hy technician having the opportunity to inspect or repair the device during the car's lifetime. I think you've done pretty well, actually.

:whsaid:

I doubt very much the turbo would be inspected at any service unless there was a costumer complaint.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK