i30 Owners Club

Cannot Skip Tracks over Bluetooth

Loix22 · 23 · 14152

Offline Loix22

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Sussex
Hi Everyone,

When I connect my phone to my 2012 i30 Stereo via bluetooth I can use bluetooth audio to listen to music on my phone but I cannot use the seek buttons on the steering wheel to skip tracks. The buttons on the stereo itself don't skip tracks either.

Originally I just accepted that this was the way things were until I drove a Kia Ceed hire car. I assume that the underpinnings of the two cars are essentially the same but I was able to skip tracks via bluetooth in the Ceed.

I have also read elsewhere on the forums that people are skipping tracks via bluetooth just fine.

Any ideas?
  • 2012 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What sort of Phone? Hyundai mentioned to me not long after the iPhone 6 release that the latest update iOS 8 was causing issues in some i30's, I've not had problems myself though but Hyundai said it was an Apple problem to fix...I'm guessing Apple would say it's a Hyundai problem :Dunno:

Offline Loix22

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Sussex
I currently use an Android phone but I have tried with a Windows phone and a couple of other Androids too.
  • 2012 i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I cant help you there sorry, hopefully someone else can offer some suggestions.

Offline Loix22

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Sussex

But we are agreed that I *should* be able to skip the tracks with the seek buttons on the steering wheel?
  • 2012 i30

drew peacock

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

But we are agreed that I *should* be able to skip the tracks with the seek buttons on the steering wheel?
I agreed/stated that Hyundai had mentioned there was an issue with some i30's and iphones, I cant help you with Android phones because I know nothing about them and also why I mentioned someone else maybe able to provide advice.

Offline Loix22

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Sussex
YES mine works fine with my samsung note3

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask what playback software you are using on the Note3?
  • 2012 i30

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
I'm seeing the same here, tyring three different iPhones running iOS 8, but I was under the impression that this is normal for a "Bluetooth Audio" connection. Isn't this how remote Bluetooth (home) speakers and such work? They just use a wireless audio signal, not a full-blown communication to the streaming device. I'd love to be proven wrong, I think it would be nice to be able to skip tracks on the steering wheel without having to tether the iPhone to the iPod-connector.
  • 2012 GDi 1.6 (135bhp) "i-Motion" with manual gearbox

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My IPhone 4s skips tracks just fine via the steering wheel controls, if you have used the Bluetooth to connect to another music device prior to the Hyundai you'll have to stop the playback from the phone - turn the car stereo to radio and then back to Bluetooth to restart playback and it should work fine.

Offline prozac_tr

• 1st Gear

• tr Turkey
2012 models has some issues on Bluetooth connection i ve heard this.

iPad 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
My IPhone 4s skips tracks just fine via the steering wheel controls

Okay, great to hear that it should be possible. This is a 2012 i30 paired with iPhone 5, 5S and 6 (all running iOS 8). Maybe it's a software compatibility issue. Is it possible to update the i30 audio system firmware somehow?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My iPhone 4s is running iOS 8.1.2 which is the latest update, I've not experienced any problems with the prior versions either.

Regarding firmware for the stereo you'll have to give your local Hyundai service centre a call and ask them whether there's been any new firmware releases.

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
Regarding firmware for the stereo you'll have to give your local Hyundai service centre a call and ask them whether there's been any new firmware releases.

Will do, thanks!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
Just a quick follow-up: I read the i30 Owner's Manual from cover to cover yesterday, and it seems that things work as designed on the (European) 2012 model. It explicitly says in the "iPod" section that an iPhone connected over Bluetooth Audio will only support streaming, not skipping or other type of track-navigation. It says (and I can confirm this), that *only* play/pause is supported by pressing the "tuning"-knob.
Connecting an iPod (or iPhone for that matter) through a cable should allow for more elaborate functionality, but I haven't had a chance to try this.

I have a number of iPod Touch iPods from different generations here,  I could give them a go to see if they provide more functionality over Bluetooth Audio than an iPhone.

It seems Bluetooth Audio for iPhones was just limited, not malfunctioning in the 2012 model.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Mines a 2013 euro model and all functions work for me, the only thing I would like extra is the songs to be displayed on the stereo screen...which it does if I plug in the cable but it'd be nice to have the option with Bluetooth as well.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Just a quick follow-up: I read the i30 Owner's Manual from cover to cover yesterday, and it seems that things work as designed on the (European) 2012 model. It explicitly says in the "iPod" section that an iPhone connected over Bluetooth Audio will only support streaming, not skipping or other type of track-navigation. It says (and I can confirm this), that *only* play/pause is supported by pressing the "tuning"-knob.
Connecting an iPod (or iPhone for that matter) through a cable should allow for more elaborate functionality, but I haven't had a chance to try this.

I have a number of iPod Touch iPods from different generations here,  I could give them a go to see if they provide more functionality over Bluetooth Audio than an iPhone.

It seems Bluetooth Audio for iPhones was just limited, not malfunctioning in the 2012 model.

With the FD there is special 2 cable cord that is required to get all functions. Last I heard this was much cheaper through through Ebay than the Dealer.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
With the FD there is special 2 cable cord that is required to get all functions.

That sounds promising. I'm not entirely sure what "FD" stands for though? Any pointers to what this cable might be called?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The FD is the early i30 shape, like this:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
With the FD there is special 2 cable cord that is required to get all functions.

That sounds promising. I'm not entirely sure what "FD" stands for though? Any pointers to what this cable might be called?

I think this is the one.. I didn't use an Ipad or iPhone with my i30 (there are cheaper ones on ebay but this is a premium supplier)

:link: Hyundai I10 I20 I30 I800 Elantra AUX IN Cable FOR Ipod Iphone 3 3s 4 4s 4G | eBay
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
The FD is the early i30 shape, like this:

Okay, thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea the pre-2012 model was named "FD".

I think this is the one.. I didn't use an Ipad or iPhone with my i30 (there are cheaper ones on ebay but this is a premium supplier)

Alright, that's an interesting looking cable. I still haven't gotten around checking the supported audio-functionality of my different models of iPod/iPhone yet, I will try to see what it gives with the standard Apple cables, and might eventually spring the 10 bucks for this alternative one. Thanks!

Offline harry_s

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Koedijk
Had a few minutes to test a bunch of different iPods/iPhones with the default Bluetooth-enabled head unit in the 2012 i30. Basically, all of the 7 devices (5 iPods, 2 iPhones) behaved perfectly when connected through a standard Apple USB cable to the iPod port on the i30. I could skip tracks on the steering wheel, navigate folders through the FOLDER button.

The three Bluetooth-enabled Apple devices were able to connect correctly to the i30, but all of them were limited to audio playback. I could not skip tracks or navigate folders whenever the were connected wirelessly.

Oh well, it's not likely I'll be playing music from anything else than a USB stick anyway (which luckily supports many more than 999 MP3 tracks, as was the max limit on my previous (super cheap) head unit).

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal