Valve clearances - when to check?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Good morning (afternoon for most) everyone

As I understand it, the Gamma engine which is in my car (1.6 petrol) does not have hydraulic valve lash adjusters but a normal bucket and shim type setup.

Since Hyundai decided to throw away my service schedule booklet when I took it in for the waterpump replacement, I cannot see when the valve clearance needs to be checked and/or adjusted.

Currently I am sitting on around 172K km and I am not sure whether it would have been checked around the 90'000 or 105'000km service (our service intervals are 15'000km) or if it is something I should see to in the near future?

I hear a faint tapping sound on startup when cold which is normal as it takes a while for the oil pressure to build up and work it's way through the engine to the camshaft area, but I have also found it to feel a bit limp in lower RPM's compared to my manager's i20 (also 1.6 Gamma).

I am suspecting that they have not been adjusted ever but I thought I'd ask on this treasure trove of knowledge first before I start to panic :whistler:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I don't know anything about HY engines but if you say that they are the bucket and shim type i would doubt that clearances would be printed in the owner's manual as I would suspect you would have to remove the cam to get to the shim under the bucket and i would think the only way the gap can be adjusted is by different thickness of shim's
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
From memory i don't recall any mention in the service schedule of having to check/reset tappets
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thanks guys

I know that most engines these days have the valve lash hydraulically adjusted by oil pressure but I am not sure about the Gamma engine in my i30...

Cruiserfied, do you need a Batsignal or something for me to get you here and provide input? :whistler: :mrgreen:

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
In Cruiserfied's absence, I checked the manual and if your vehicle is fitted with CVVT the valves do not appear to ever need adjustment as there is a mechanical valve lash adjuster built in to the valve assembly. The only maintenance appears to be to ensure the valves are not bent, seals are replaced and springs are of the correct tension. These functions are performed when servicing the head itself.

Cruiserfied to verify if I'm correct.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
My Bat light :D

No scheduled valve adjustment.
Uses hydraulic lash buckets with shims. Can be done with cams in place using special tool.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal