i30 Owners Club

Navigation and cruise control

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi all,

I was playing around with the settings in the navigation system over the weekend and enabled audio proximity and speed alerts. For the record, I have over speed set to 105%.

One thing I've noticed, if you have cruise control set and then stop at lights, when resuming the cruise control it will speed up to a touch over what it was previously set to - enough to trigger the speed alert - before dipping back down to the set speed. Has anybody else noticed this with the cruise control (resuming over speed then dropping back)?

Secondly, does the speed alert system base it's speed on the speedometer or on calculated speed by the GPS? The reason I say this is because I was cruising on a level surface with the needle dead on 60 and the speed alert went off. After the third time and my missus calling me a lead foot, I turned it off. Each time, the speed limit for the zone displayed correctly i.e it said 60 in the 60 zone.

An similar experiences or tips?
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline deringer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Additionally, does anybody else find the proximity alerts for speed cameras and the like annoying enough to leave them turned off?
  • MY12 GD i30 Elite in Santorini Blue

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
My old Magna would always slightly overspend when setting/resuming cruise. I find the GD i30 does something similar, but it doesn't do it by much.

As far as overspeed alerts go, I can't help with that, it's one of the first things I turn off. I've never found them useful, but perhaps that's due to regularly checking my speedo.

Camera alerts, etc are handy, but I find them more useful in areas I'm not familiar with.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Lachlan85

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have proximity alerts for speed cameras turned on at the moment. I remember having it set to warn only when speeding, but from memory it still alerted me every time (even though I wasn't speeding).

Can't answer any of your questions re: where the nav system gets the car's speed from. Seems odd though that it would alert you if your speedo said 60. Aren't cars meant to over compensate? Ie: you would have actually been going closer to 57 or 58?
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 Premium GD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal