i30 Owners Club

1.6 petrol engine

Offline roi1862

• 1st Gear
They saying that every engine has to go a certain number of kilometers (or miles) before the engine producing his full performance. i was woundring how much does it take for the i30 engine to "open up" ?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have no idea how long before it 'opens up', but, the first day I got my i30 edition 1.6 petrol I inadvertently took it up to over ninety...

I was moving up from a Yaris which needed a lot of pushing to get up to a decent cruising speed and it took me a wee while to adjust, ergo the ninety miles per hour.

I didn't see any mention of a 'running in period' as we used to call it, back in the day, in the hand book.

It'd be interesting to know if there is an accepted running in period but I guess I'd still plod on in the 60/70 miles per hour range since most of my driving is to get to my work, and I really try not to get too stressed out when I am at work :-).

Also I was heading up the M61 towards the M55 (UK folks'll know where this is) this morning and there was a dark grey i30 passed me, I played leap frog with him a couple of times just to have a better look see, just to see how handsome a machine it is.   Then I dropped back to my usual dopey 60/70 to de stress for work.

Asa

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
When I got my crdi I was told not to over rev or labour in any gear for first 1,000 miles then gradually take it thro' the reves/gear for the next 500 miles.

So from say 1,500 miles the engine should be "run in" and I've never looked back!!!!

In my view, it depends on the type of roads you drive along daily.
Motorway, rural or town will have have differing effects on the engine "run in"
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi roi, well i could not honestly answer that.
but i'll tell you what i have seen watching a close friend of mine run a new motor he has built in on a dyno, & get it up to full power & torque. and custom map fuel & ignition curves for maxium power. he does motors for a lot of different aplications. but in the end it's the same as what your asking.
i think Hyundai would have an engine test bench where the mount each motor start and run it for a short time to test everything is ok. my friend will start a motor that is mounted to his engine Dyno that is inside a sound proof bomb proof room that has a armored glass viewing window. he has air sensors in the exhast to monitor air fuel ratio ( but your 1.6 ECU does all that for you ) he also has combussion chamber temp read outs and a lot of other monotoring equipment hooked up to the motor. he runs them at lower rev's for short periods shuts motor down lets cool then restarts to do heat cycles, ( but factory does this or similar ) then he will hold them at about 1,500rev monitoring all the temps & read outs for say half an hour giving it quick short revs in between then when he has given them about 1 hour of runing and monitoring at the lower rev range. he then drops the oil and inspects that also it gets all the machining metals out of the motor. he puts new oil in. then gets it to optimal runing temps. then starts to test power & torque at revs under load then starts tuning. at some point oil is again dropped and inspected to see if any metals or other things that should not show up are there. then new oil more tuning till he reach's the goal customer asked for.
I think with the modern metalurgy and improved methods we have today, its safe to drive your new baby how you like, & i'd say about 10 or 20 thousand K's you will feel it goes better than new.
good luck
so
So

Offline roi1862

• 1st Gear
Thanks guys !
I hope that with the time ill feel improvement, although i have no problem with the engine as it is now. sometimes on highways i suddenly see that I'm at 90 mph and it feels so slow  :). that only thing that stops me from going faster (except the fear highway patrol) is the engine noise at around 4500+ rpm.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
On my 1.6 petrol engine (auto), I found that with the first 800 kms I needed to downshift from 4th to 3rd often because it was labouring (I'm not a lead-foot).  After 800 kms it seems to have more power, and can stay more comfortably in 4th. Fuel consumption has also improved.

Of course, I hope it improves even more.  I've only driven around 900km.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Best keeps RPM above 1500 and not over 3500 for first 1000 Miles. Then add about 1000RPM over each 1000 Miles. Engines are usually run in by about 3500 miles. I general keep to that, but then I'm one of the old fashioned types  :lol:

Most of my rep mates just don't bother with their company cars, all say they had no problems before changing them again at around 50K Miles.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your signature "My boss said you should have been here at 9, I said why, what happened. He was not amused."

is pretty funny... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
asathorny  - I know exactly where you are pal.  The M55 leads straight into Blackpool - a place we have had many, many happy years with the children :razz: :razz: [Sadly grown up too quickly]

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal