Speed Limit control

eye30 · 56 · 16039

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
According to the Owners Manual, once you have set the speed limit, say 30 mph, and you wish to drive over the preset speed limit it says you must depress hard on the accelerator pedal, more than 80%, until the throttle resistance switch works with a clicking noise.

Well today I tried this and nothing happened. 

The car speeded up to the set limit and a chime was heard, per the manual, as it just went over the set limit by 1-2 mph but the car's speed wouldn't go any faster.  I was expecting to go higher than this to say 40 mph..

Anyone with this function, comments would be appreciated.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't really help, other than to say that if it doesn't over ride that function when you push the accelerator hard, it would be a bit of a safety issue.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I it would be a bit of a safety issue.

That's what my thoughts are.

I'm due to call in at the dealers soon so I'll ask them but wanted to find out from others before I call in to see if it was the correct or an issue with the car.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^ what happens if you tap the brake gently then try to accelerate?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

^ what happens if you tap the brake gently then try to accelerate?

Not tried that but I will next time I'm out and about.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Tapping the brake will cancel the CC and allow the accelerator to function normally. It never ceases to amaze me just how complex / different our cars are between regions. I like to use cc as much as possible, even on good runs in the city with light traffic. There are so many speed cameras around, I prefer to let the car keep the speed in check. However, with the CC set, I can gently press the pedal to any speed higher than the set limit. There are no alarms or audible warnings at all. I have a vague recollection that I sped up to a higher limit and the CC set the new speed as it's new set speed without me touching any buttons. I though that was pretty cool.

The system as described by eye30 would be downright dangerous IMO. There are times when kickdown or high acceleration may be required, I wouldn't be too happy about the car overriding my instructions ever.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'd be taking the car back to be looked at, Lester....  :undecided:

The system as described by eye30 would be downright dangerous IMO. There are times when kickdown or high acceleration may be required, I wouldn't be too happy about the car overriding my instructions ever.  :neutral:

:whsaid:

This is one reason why I shudder every time our safetycrats trot out the idea of governors on our vehicles...... :mad:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

It is NOT the CC which I'm talking about. 

The CC works OK and as described does cancel if I touch brake, clutch.

It is the SPEED LIMITER which set the max speed you can go at.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :wtf: Never heard of that   :exclaim:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So, you have a Hy OEM one fitted or is it aftermarket  :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

:eek: that's a new one on me

Did you put the pedal to the metal in trying to overcome this limiter thing?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This speed limiter was mentioned in AlanHo's excellent "First Impressions" of the new model i30....  :)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=14198.msg155837#msg155837

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

So, you have a Hy OEM one fitted or is it aftermarket  :question:

Factory fitted.

See spec at this link:
http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/newCars/i30/

click on the Active model, right of main picture, and it is listed at 2nd item.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

:eek: that's a new one on me

Did you put the pedal to the metal in trying to overcome this limiter thing?

Yes.

On the motorway this morning I set limit to 45 mph.

Let my speed reduce to 40 MPH then floored the pedal.

The speed increased to about 47 MPH but wouldn't go any higher/faster and chimes started to warn me I'd exceeded the set limit.

reduced to 45 MPH and chimes stopped.

The sensation was just like a clutch slipped but without the increased revs.

From AlanHo write up:
"This is not cruise control – you are still in charge of the car’s speed via the throttle - it simply prevents the car from exceeding the set speed. However -  you can beat the system by pressing hard down on the accelerator – a bit like kick down on an auto – whereupon you can exceed the set limit to your heart’s content - but a loud annoying chime will sound until you behave yourself."

Now I didn't get:
"...you can exceed the set limit to your heart’s content"

So it is on my list when I call into the dealer next week.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 15:48:35 by eye30 »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
This speed limiter was mentioned in AlanHo's excellent "First Impressions" of the new model i30....  :)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=14198.msg155837#msg155837

So much info in that article I can't take it all in. One way to remember it all, would be to buy one I suppose.  :mrgreen:

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
I have a speed limiter along the CC in my 2011 i30cw. It works flawlessly - it blocks you from accelerating over the preset limit, but depressing the accelerator pedal over 80% deactivates it temporarily and the car accelerates normally as if there was nothing holding it back. The warning chime can be heard all the time the limiter is activated and you go faster than the preset speed. Braking does NOT deactivate speed limit control. The limiter is deactivated until you reach the speed below the preset limit. During the inactive time (with the warning chime heard) accelerator can be used normally and not just above 80%.

Another peculiar thing - I have + and - buttons to adjust speed. When in limit mode, the instrument cluster display shows the current set speed limit and pressing + or - increases or decreases the speed by 1 km/h. In normal cruise control, no speed is displayed, but + and - changes the preset speed in steps around 1.6 km/h (1 mph). I don't really understand the logics of using kph for speed limit and mph for cruise control in a car that is sold with kph instrument cluster.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Very interesting neoto, I learnt something today :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

depressing the accelerator pedal over 80% deactivates it temporarily and the car accelerates normally as if there was nothing holding it back.

This isn't happening with my car.

Pip
I have worked with digital electronics (computers) almost since their inception.  It is obvious that once things are digitized almost anything can be manipulated with a precision unknown before. That is: almost anything can be done (within the limits of the machine and programmer)!

The question I have is; do we want computers to do everything or leave some to the vastly superior intellect of... us?

This sort of thing seems to fit my concern.  I prefer things that rely on human control where we are (thus far) much more capable for simple tasks such as maintaining a certain speed while able to monitor many other thing simultaneously.

Don't get me wrong, I accept things like ESC/ESP because this sort of thing cannot be done by us.  But speed limiting where you can't override it...  gimme a break! That's just stupid programming and stupid acceptance of an inferior way to do things.

Many things will be done digitally because for no other reason than they can (be).

PS. beware of things I write late on a Thursday and Monday... usually a bit molly...  :wacko:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 22:35:44 by Pip »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

PS. beware of things I write late on a Thursday... usually a bit molly...  :wacko:

And with today only being Monday I wonder what's in store for the lead up to Thursday.   :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I would like a speed limiter on the Hybrid .. because of the low rolling resistance tyres and some of the other technology she tries to run away down hills (even with the cruise on)

When I tested the 2012 model recently it seemed better in that regard  :goodjob: (I think it might even have the speed limit function - although I didn't know how to deploy it  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Pip
PS. beware of things I write late on a Thursday... usually a bit molly...  :wacko:

And with today only being Monday I wonder what's in store for the lead up to Thursday.   :cool:
Yeah, I remembered after I went to bed :rofl: :rofl: Almost proves my point doesn't it.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I would like a speed limiter on the Hybrid ..

Your car already has one, mate.... :whistler:

It's called a brake....and another option would be to ease off the accelerator....  :eek:  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I would like a speed limiter on the Hybrid ..

Your car already has one, mate.... :whistler:

It's called a brake....and another option would be to ease off the accelerator....  :eek:  :lol:

That is all very well but if I go down a longish hill with my cruise on 110 I can be doing 125 at the bottom easily. If I ride the brake I then have to reset cruise at the bottom. Even minor inclines can get me to 115 which will get you booked in some places  :blubber:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
The Hyundai speed limiter will not help you Dazz. On my car it prevents me from driving beyond the above limit when using the throttle - but on a steep downslope with foot off the accelerator the car will gather speed. The brakes are not linked in and must be manually applied
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Well, in Audi A6, the CC is tied to the brakes and in the case of a run-away down the slope, CC starts applying brakes. I'm not sure if it also increased the engine rpm first.
Dazzler, do you also have 'B' mode on your transmission like there is in Prius? I am not sure whether the CC disengages when changing from D to B.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler, do you also have 'B' mode on your transmission like there is in Prius? I am not sure whether the CC disengages when changing from D to B.

Yes it does and I use it for say very steep 80kph hills, but medium, faster down slopes with the cruise on it slows the car down too much  :undecided:

The Hyundai speed limiter will not help you Dazz. On my car it prevents me from driving beyond the above limit when using the throttle - but on a steep downslope with foot off the accelerator the car will gather speed. The brakes are not linked in and must be manually applied

That is interesting Alan..

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

Yes it does and I use it for say very steep 80kph hills, but medium, faster down slopes with the cruise on it slows the car down too much  :undecided:

Does the cruise control work in B mode? Doesn't it maintain the speed?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does the cruise control work in B mode? Doesn't it maintain the speed?
:confused:

I need to check that

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal