Changing headlamp bulb

pumpo64 · 79 · 36642

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My headlights are always on, on the "Auto" option, so depending on how dark it is the headlights are on or off whenever I start up.
Its been this way for the 2 yrs+ I've owned the car.
In that time, and over 30,000 miles I never had any bulb (globe) blow.

It is only the Diesel that I wouldn't recommend starting with the lights on (or on Auto)

Won't stop them blowing but may reduce the incidence... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Today, & £5.50 later... I have replaced the lamp, fitted a Lucas version,

You're brave. Motorcyclists of yore used to refer to Lucas Electrics as "the Prince of Darkness"...

:D
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Today, & £5.50 later... I have replaced the lamp, fitted a Lucas version,

You're brave. Motorcyclists of yore used to refer to Lucas Electrics as "the Prince of Darkness"...

:D

:rofl: And British Leyland owners.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My eldest Brother was a rep for Lucas in his younger days (might have been a tough job from what I've heard and read)  :sweating:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Daz, I'd like to know what difference there is between diesel & petrol charging systems that might impact bulb life?
I'm not saying the theory is wrong, and I accept that starting a diesel involves a heavier current drain, probably meaning the alternator provides more charge current. So if that causes bulbs that are on to blow then isnt that indicative of a poor voltage regulation?

Mjt57, I am a motorcyclist from ye olde days from 1972...
I've personally never had any problems with Lucas bulbs... other Lucas items like dynamo's, alternators etc yes... but never bulbs.
In fact every car or bike I had, I bought replacement bulbs from the same manufacturer.

Plus I've heard some awful stories about the short life of expensive "blue" lamps, (Osram, Philips etc) that £5.50 sounds good value, esp as this one was so easy to change, I didn't think my choice of bulb was the issue, more how we get to change them?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 12:20:29 by Ffoxy »
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

• Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!
  • A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it backand worked on it until it did.
  • Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
  • Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
  • "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
  • A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...
  • Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
  • Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators
  • Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
  • Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Lucas, the Prince of Darkness

• Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!
  • A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it backand worked on it until it did.
  • Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Blah blah blah,... yea all very funny in some places no doubt, *the same jokes used to be said about Hyundai, Kia & Skoda, ... but the fact is that they are / were all VFM as are Lucas bulbs, unless there is some other reason to hate Lucas.. its just some find it hard to see the wood through the trees  :whistler:[/list]
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West
My headlights are always on, on the "Auto" option, so depending on how dark it is the headlights are on or off whenever I start up.
Its been this way for the 2 yrs+ I've owned the car.
In that time, and over 30,000 miles I never had any bulb (globe) blow.

It is only the Diesel that I wouldn't recommend starting with the lights on (or on Auto)

Won't stop them blowing but may reduce the incidence... :undecided:

but saying that...wouldnt cars with the engine auto 'stop start' function like my diesel blow its bulbs quicker then?..cus I do notice the lights dim slightly when you engage from stop start at the lights

on a separate note...I still think the auto stop start function is a waste of time and probably doing the engine/alternator and battery more harm then good :rolleyes:
  • silver i30 classic 1.6 CRDi 110PS Diesel Blue Drive Manual

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
on a separate note...I still think the auto stop start function is a waste of time and probably doing the engine/alternator and battery more harm then good :rolleyes:

Why don't you switch it off then?............... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

yeh thats what I do sometimes or I just keep the clutch pedal down..lol cus it automatically comes back on each time u start the engine from start

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

yeh thats what I do sometimes or I just keep the clutch pedal down..lol cus it automatically comes back on each time u start the engine from start
your clutch wont last long doing that.  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have never done it - but I believe you can press the ISG button on the dash after you start the engine and it will switch the ISG off until you next start the engine.

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

your clutch wont last long doing that.  :Shocked:

Ive always drove like that in my previous car mazda for 8yrs without any problems until some woman ran into the back of me and written off the car  :rolleyes:

I have never done it - but I believe you can press the ISG button on the dash after you start the engine and it will switch the ISG off until you next start the engine.

Oh right...will have to check that out 1 day

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have now done it. Yesterday I pushed the ISG button after starting the car - a light comes on in the button to confirm the ISG is switched off. A message appears in the instruments for about 10 seconds telling you that the Auto Start is deactivated. For the rest of the journey the Auto stop is off and you don't get any messages about it in the trip recorder.

However - you need to switch the ISG off each time you start the engine - which is no bother.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Here we go again... Last week the driver's side headlamp blew again. Now I ordered Osram Ultra Long Life bulbs (3x longer lifespan advertised) with 3 years warranty and replaced both bulbs in about half an hour.
The last bulb blew when I accelerated after starting the car - I started normally, cleaned the ice from the windshield (a few minutes), then drove away. When I pressed the gas pedal slightly more, I could see that the lights became brighter and then one blew. Unfortunately, I didn't have OBD-II logging turned on to see the voltage.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Will be interesting to see how long the ultra long life bulbs last  :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Here we go again... Last week the driver's side headlamp blew again. Now I ordered Osram Ultra Long Life bulbs (3x longer lifespan advertised) with 3 years warranty and replaced both bulbs in about half an hour.
The last bulb blew when I accelerated after starting the car - I started normally, cleaned the ice from the windshield (a few minutes), then drove away. When I pressed the gas pedal slightly more, I could see that the lights became brighter and then one blew. Unfortunately, I didn't have OBD-II logging turned on to see the voltage.

I also fitted these Osram's last time.

They do not give much light which was no problem in the summer, but here in the dark winter I bought some cheap (can't remember the name) bulbs with extra light. I expect they last the winter, then I will fit the Osram's again.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Filament  lamps are very sensitive to changes in the supply voltage.

A 5% reduction in operating voltage will more than double the life of the bulb, at the expense of reducing its light output by about 20%.

Longer life of bulbs is achieved by using a  filament designed to  run 'under voltage'.

Conversely brighter light is achieved by a filament running over voltage........... with a shorter life.  :exclaim:

Simple electrical maths  :wink:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks baradeur.. Nice simple but effective explanation :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal