i30 Owners Club

(GD) steering doesn't resume to centre

jat · 55 · 12817

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm surprised jat reported that his needs a new steering column. If anything I'd have thought it was more software- or sensor- related.

Me too.
I might try my (new) local Hyundai dealership as I didn't get much joy in Perth.
It is definitely an electric steering issue.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
From memory, the actual steering unit is quite complex and not generally serviceable, so maybe they just ditch it and replace, to eliminate the problem.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Without looking any closer, I think Phil's right. Electric or not, it's probably the easiest 'frontline' remedy with the problem column sent back to Hy for proper examination. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Fonja

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, QLD
 First time post here.  I have read this thread with interest as the problem described is exactly what I have!  I have an 130 SR which hubby bought as a surprise for me earlier this year.  From the very first time I drove it I felt the steering wasn't quite right.  At the 1000 km check I mentioned it but felt that as I was a woman I was being fobbed off when the Technician insisted it was just the camber of the road.  I spoke to hubby (professional driver of 30+ years and is well up on his mechanics) who thought maybe it was camper as well.  Anyway, hubby has now been driving the car solidly for the last week and is extremely concerned as the issue has got worse and could be a dangerous issue.  My car is booked in on Thursday with the Service Center at the dealership we bought from. I have bookmarked this site on my tablet to show them, will be insisting the technician comes for a drive with me and then drives it himself. Following that and if necessary I will insist on taking another off the lot out to compare with.  Hubby is out of town on that day but will call him if I have problems with the service center.  Having worked for another area of the Hyundai empire (Construction Equipment) I know the Koreans are proud to stand by their warranty. I am really surprised that this issue is not being recognised by the dealerships and there is not a lot on the internet about it.  Thank goodness I found this club!  Will keep you all posted.
  • i30 SR 2014

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Generally, 30 minutes of battery disconnect to force an ECU is worth a try. As you already have matters under way, perhaps let the dealer have a go first.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

:wttc:

The battery disconnect worked for me, but only temporarily, so the issue needs to be fixed properly.
I have the same problem with my i30 but need to find the time to be without it so they can fix it.
I have already been fobbed off once, after having been without my car for a day.
The electric steering fault is well known to Hyundai and not only on the i30. Other Hyundai variants also have similar problems.
Let us know how you go.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Good luck Fonja and :welcum: to the club
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The battery disconnect worked for me, but only temporarily, so the issue needs to be fixed properly.
This is a really, really good point to remember.

When dealing with ECU resets or any other software based remedy, it's necessary to understand that software doesn't degrade. Those ones and zeroes never fade or swap places.

Some physical fault has acted as a stimulus to the software to cause it to lose its way. If it isn't obvious, then it may be intermittent, leaving the software error as the only clue to something being wrong.

If you've had to reset your ECU several times, look for a problem elsewhere. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
Hi Guys,

Good news: Hyundai replaced the steering column and the problem is solved but it took many calls to the Hyundai customer support and visits to dealership and few months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 2013 i30 GD Elite Petrol Blue & 2013 i30 GD 14 Elite Petrol Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Guys,

Good news: Hyundai replaced the steering column and the problem is solved but it took many calls to the Hyundai customer support and visits to dealership and few months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:goodjob::fum:

Offline Fonja

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, QLD
Well 3 months later and back to the dealership today as the problem has returned.  The dealership were great when I took it up there. They came for a drive with so I could demonstrate when and where the problem was occurring then the mechanic took over.  He treated me well to I might add, not as some silly woman who knows nothing.  While driving he he too experienced the same problem - yay!  As I said, am bock to them today as the problem has not just returned but with a vengeance :disapp:. Will keep you posted.
  • i30 SR 2014

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Hopefully you will get a good result.  It is good that the mechanic experienced the same thing, that gives them something to go with.

Offline Fonja

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, QLD
Jat - I would love to  know who the Dealership is as I am having real issues with mine now and they don't believe its been reported by anyone!   It's a pity more of us didn't know about the steering problems before buying the car but whats even worse is that today my dealership won't acknowledge there is a problem. Two visits now. First visit the mechanic went for a test drive and agreed there was an issue. Back to the workshop and he could not find anywhere that Hyundai has an answer for it let along acknowledges it. I had him talk to hubby on the phone so we knew I wasn't being. fleece He did replace the fleci coupling (whatever that is!). Was fine for a while but back today as it returned and is worse than before. Hubby not available unfortunately.  I wasn't aware the mechanic I had last time has left and had asked he work on it and was told fine. Picked the car up and I was told that I "need to get used to the steering because its different to other cars"! Really? How long does it take to get used to it - I've had it 9 months now and strangely enough my hubby noticed before I even said anything about and he drives all sorts of vehicle.  The mechanic who worked on it and the service manager both refused to come and talk to me! We both feel that the steering is more than just a bit of an issue as it occurs at any speed and  on motorways feels like I could lose control of the vehicle.
  • i30 SR 2014

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Fonja,

I would try another dealer with a good reputation in your area, even if it involves a bit of travel. You could phone the service department and speak to the manager and gauge his reaction to your plight, then make an arrangement if you feel satisfied with his response. I would also be contacting Hy Head Office and if no joy there, then a complaint to the ACCC would be in order. That usually gets a response.

The dealer you're using now is either incompetent, inefficient, or just unwilling and stupid IMO. You seem to be getting the runaround and they hope you will simply go away.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :whsaid:

I would strongly recommend calling head office and complaining about that service manager :disapp:

Offline Fonja

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast, QLD
After discussions with my Husband I will be sending a letter to the Dealer Principal regarding the entire issue and will also be getting an independent body to check the problem out.  We will take if further after that and will even go to media if needs be.  Am so over this problem and yesterdays treatment is unacceptable given the problem was acknowledge 3 months ago!
  • i30 SR 2014

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Really sorry you have to resort to these lengths, but if that's what's necessary, then so be it. If any brown stuff hits the fan, they can't say you were unreasonable.  :(

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You really should try another dealer.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You're right of course cruiserfied.
But in all honesty, she shouldn't have to. This sort of behaviour is all to common (in the auto trade in general).
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
You're right of course cruiserfied.
But in all honesty, she shouldn't have to. This sort of behaviour is all to common (in the auto trade in general).
Correct you are.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
First of all, sorry for the late response. My car got fixed from Chadstone Hyundai in Victoria, The Guys in service department are very helpful (Specially NICK) but it took lot to convince them that steering had this problem. (I assume official line of  response from Hyundai head office is to refuse in case the customer is not very fussy, I am 99% sure Hyundai knows about this problem) Last week I was there to get my seconds car's 15000 KM service done and Manager told me that they replaced another steering column for one of the customer after mine was done. 
  • 2013 i30 GD Elite Petrol Blue & 2013 i30 GD 14 Elite Petrol Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update Jat...  :goodjob:

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
In a similar position to Fonja.
Wife drives her i-30 and doesn't seem to notice that the car just won't sit "naturally" on the road.
It's very annoying for any passenger who will feel the constant steering corrections, even on smooth freeway conditions being rocked left/right in the seat.
Then I drive my old 1990 GTR Skyline which has absolutely no steering vices, it's just point and shoot.
A 2012 vehicle with such appalling vagueness straight from the showroom, have to wonder what the hell is going on with Hyundai's design department. 
  • i-30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal