i30 Owners Club

HALO (Hyundai Active Locking Operation)

Thumper · 77 · 37073

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
After enjoying this system with the two Trajet's I owned before, I was disappointed that the system had been 'switched' off on the i30.

A quick call to dealer I purchased the vehicle from confirmed that at it's next service, the HALO system will be programmed to be turned back on.

What does this system do?

It locks all doors when driving above a certain speed, then unlocks the doors once you take the keys out of the ignition. (It also unlocks the doors when the vehicle is involved in an accident or when the airbags have been deployed, also turning on the emergency flashers.)

The system can also provide 'deadlocking' for all the doors. (Unlocked on the inside, locked on the outside)

The HALO system is perfect for those who drive mainly in the city. (No more snatch-and-grabs at traffic lights)

I wonder what else can be programmed!  ;)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
it should be switched on as standard?? It's advertised in their brochure like that (indeed it mentions it can be disabled) and my i30 came with it enabled

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine came switched on.

Activates when I reach 15mph (20kph?)

Deadlocks work a treat.
I locked car with remote whilst sat inside, key out of ignition,  and couldn't open locks by moving swivel bit.
Needed to press unlock on remote to unlock.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hmm, maybe because mine was a demo that it was switched off?

Interesting!  :?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine is also off. I'm not complaining. Drove me stoopid on my MGZR.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline awj2005

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Busselton
hi
My HALO isnt activated either and i havnt really thought about it till now will have to get that sorted out next service would come in handy though.

ash

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
As I was on the blower to my dealer today (about my missing 2nd keyfob) I asked him about activating the HALO and he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Once I described it he said "oh, you mean the 'speedlock' system?".

I prefer "HALO" to be honest, and I quite like the idea of the deadlocking it provides, so they said they'd do it for me (once they'd figured out how to) when I get my new fob reprogrammed, should that day EVER arrive  :(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine was on when I bought it
Told iot was set on as default from the factory.

Mine activates at 15 mph and I'd like to change to say 25/30 MPH.

Dealer said there are 2 settings and would change when it in for service in Sept.

Like Shambles still waiting for 2nd key.  I believe it's now in the UK but where is it???.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hmmm - I can't be ar*ed to unlock the doors every time I get out of the car, so my HALO stays off - I can easily lock the doors if I feel unsafe - and I do sometimes (like when I've just upset someone at a junction, for example  8-)

ouri30
How Halo is operating.  I thought it was at delivery, but once they set it at a service, it behaved differently.

Before, it would lock at 40km but we had to unlock rear doors when we stopped the car.  Both front doors could beopened without unlocking when we had stopped.

After, it locked as before, and both front doors could be opened without unlocking, even with the engine running.  However, once setup we had the added function of all doors unlocking once the engine was stopped and the key was removed from the ignition.

In other words, there was no need to unlock the doors once we stopped and the driver removed the key.

Also, I've tried manually unlocking doors while driving - they all relock immediately.  Incidently, the driver and the front passenger can open their doors while driving at speed.  Haven't attempted to test the unlocking function after an accident - has anyone tried it out yet?  :shock:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Had the HALO system activated at my last service (15k)

All I can say is, something is amiss with the programming.

TWICE now the keys have been locked in the vehicle, whilst it has been running!  :o   (I drive to work, hop out at my work and change seats with the wife so she can continue to her work, where it's parked undercover. As we both hop out, close the doors cause it's cold, go to open the drivers door, it's locked. All doors are locked!)

This has happened twice now. Both times nothing else was running (No lights, no stereo, no mobile phones near the vehicle)

Upon hooking the Scanguage to the ECU, I have noticed the digital speed readout to 'jump' whilst the vehicle is stationary. Maybe a faulty speed sensor?

My doors do not unlock when I turn the engine off and remove the key from the ignition.

Might have to take it back and get it re-programmed.

Not impressed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Thumper,

I was thinking of getting Halo switched on at my 15K service but not so sure now... :?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

ouri30
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !  :evil:

I wrote a reply to Thumper and posted it and the whole thing just vanished.  Got a white screen and my info was lost.

Anyway Thumper,

Re the doors locking.  You'd be up sh** creek without a paddle if you never had a second key.  Something ain't right with the system.  Perhaps it's the speed sensor (although checking the ScanGuage in another car might be a good idea).  I've just asked the wife and we are both 99% certain we have closed both doors with the engine running when we swapped drivers (our girls were in the back seat and could have got us out of trouble).  The doors didn't lock for us in this situation.

Bob

If this message disappears into oblivion, I'm giving up!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Gee that's ok.. for a minute there I thought Bob was P...d off with me.... :(

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi there.

Just wanting an update from those who were experiencing problems with their HALO.  Have you had it fixed and working fine? or just turned it off because you've had enough :)

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith
HALO was on my car when i picked it up, my car was used as a dispay car and had bout 100 k's on it form memory

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I still have the HALO on my car but intend to have it disabled at next service.
I think it is a good security feature and good safety feature if you have toddlers, but my kids are a bit older now and i find that its just a bit of a pain in the backside.

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I'll be going in for my 30,000km service soon, and will ask about the programming then.

Until that happens, I carry the second key (Useless valet key) around with me.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I had the HALO disabled today.  I spoke to my dealer about doing it at next service, they said just pop in when you're in the area as it would only take a minute or two. Done, no charge.  :D

Offline jayem

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Cool Eyma. I'm keen on seeing it work before I'll decide to disable it though.  After reading all the good things about the i30, the waiting time is killing me, but not too long now

Pip
I want to open this tread again...

I've followed this thread about door locks.  I was worried that rear seat passengers could not alight while the engine was running after stopping.  Seems that they can if they manually flip the lock open first, whereas the front passenger need only pull the handle and does not need to flip the lock lever open first.

Why are front and back passengers handled differently?  Seems crazy!  The obvious(?) option is that all doors can be opened from the inside regardless of their locked state.

None of this has to do with child locks which seem to be an mechanical interlock.

Pip

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Quote from: "Pip"
None of this has to do with child locks which seem to be an mechanical interlock.
Maybe it does? The front doors don't have the child lock, so open with handle opening. The back doors the lock needs to be separated from the handle so that the child lock can disable the handle but not the lock (or is it the lock not the handle? Either way - maybe they need to be separated so that the child lock mechanics can function).

Offline Tylenol

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Sydney - i30 CRDi SLX Vivid Blue :)
Just to throw my experience in...

I've got a SLX CRDi Manual Oct 08 build, HALO was NOT enabled when I picked up the car. I am debating whether to have it enabled when I put the car in for first service next week.

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
Halo also disabled here.  I had it enabled at the 1000K check.  Will probably have it disabled again at the next service - don't really trust it not to lock my keys in the car.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Mines also not activated, picked it up a week ago.

One big question I have wrt to the crash unlock feature is say the car is parked, locked, engine off at the shopping centre, some muppet hits the car with a trolley or their car, will the system register this as a crash? Therefore unlocking the vehicle and allowing anyone to jump in a drive away?

My Dad was telling me about this sort of thing happeneing to some high end Lexus luxury 4wd.

All a thief had to do was give the vehicle a good whack in the right place, car unlocks and they drive away with a slightly superficially damaged luxury car.

If this is the case people might want to reconsider this option.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

All a thief had to do was give the vehicle a good whack in the right place, car unlocks and they drive away with a slightly superficially damaged luxury car.

If Hyundai is smart, they would make it so that if a crash eventuated to unlock the car, the engine would cut and fuel lines would seal themselves until manually overridden. This would solve your problem and increase safety in the event of a heavy smash also.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One big question I have wrt to the crash unlock feature is say the car is parked, locked, engine off at the shopping centre, some muppet hits the car with a trolley or their car, will the system register this as a crash? Therefore unlocking the vehicle and allowing anyone to jump in a drive away?

My Dad was telling me about this sort of thing happeneing to some high end Lexus luxury 4wd.

Regards

Daniel

Think the risk is very low Daniel... Mostly only owners would know about the feature which probably less than 50% of i30 owners have switched on...

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Regards

Daniel

In the early days of SRS systems (Airbags) they were active all the time. Thus, if you parked the vehicle, locked it, walked away, all someone needed to do is hit the bumper, set the airbags off, the doors auto unlock, they jump in and off they go.

You'll find that manufactures wisened up to this very quickly, that is why the SRS system is NOT active when the engine is off and the keys are out of the ignition. (Also the SRS system knows when you are not sitting in the vehicle, via the seatbelt sensors)

If you are unfortunate to be in an accident, with locked doors, if the airbags are set off, the doors will auto unlock. (If it's a serious enough crash, they'll just use the 'Jaws of Life' and open the vehicle just like a tin can)

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
I know this topic is old news, but for those of you who were wondering, it is left OFF from the factory, and it is supposed to be part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection to turn it ON.

Most dealers don't turn it on, much to the irritation of Hyundai. They want it on because they advertise it as one of the car's safety features. I found that most people would come straight back in and ask to have it turned off, so I stopped my guys from turning it on at PD. Nobody complained about that (except Hyundai :wink:).

I certainly have it turned off in my car, it drives me nuts.  :evil:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal