i30 Owners Club

Key remote problem

Offline debbie g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with their key not working remotely?  I've tried the spare and it's not working either. Tried a new battery in the key fob I use all the time but no difference. Had great trouble prying open the spare's battery compartment and am only damaging the plastic.  Unlocked the car last night by putting the key in the door which set off the alarm.  Any help appreciated.  :)
  • 1.6 sx CRDi in silver

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sounds odd. You seem to have eliminated the keys as the source of the problem.
I guess a trip to the dealer is called for.
I don't recall anyone else having a similar problem but keep watching the thread. There are some pretty savvy electronic guys on here. One of them may have an answer.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sorry to hear that Deb.

You weren't parked near a radio tower or something that have been causing interference were you? I'm guessing not and that you were probably in your driveway?

If both keys are playing up it's not going to be the batteries. Sounds like the receiver in the car may have given up the ghost (hopefully you still have some warranty!)  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Is it an intermittent fault, or simply doesn't work every time. I would suggest the dealer look at the car as it is obviously not the remotes.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline debbie g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Sounds like I'm visiting the dealer.  Not parked under any interference apart from the carport.  Remote hasn't worked since yesterday.  Won't lock or unlock, just not working at all.  Thanks for your input guys.  The car is under warranty.  Bought it mid 2012 new.
  • 1.6 sx CRDi in silver

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
We would appreciate a report on what the problem was and your dealer experience, too.  :goodjob2:

Offline debbie g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I'll let you know how I get on.
  • 1.6 sx CRDi in silver

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Hope you never have your electronic key fob anywhere near the microwave on a regular basis,had a Nissan sometime ago,had a similar thing happen to it,the key coding had been wiped,only thing we could think of was all our keys(even spare) where always hung on hooks above the microwave.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Microwaves are designed NOT to leak radiation, with 3 lock protection systems.  :eek:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think a new coding will do the trick. Remember to bring all your keys to the dealer.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I'm a bit late i know, but your mention of when you used your key in the lock & it set off the alarm. is your car 07 or very early 08? as a friend has an 07 i30 CRDi when he used the key in door lock to open it set his alarm off. i could use my key in door to open & alarm never went off. but can't help with the remote lock smith or a dealer.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I'm a bit late i know, but your mention of when you used your key in the lock & it set off the alarm. is your car 07 or very early 08? as a friend has an 07 i30 CRDi when he used the key in door lock to open it set his alarm off. i could use my key in door to open & alarm never went off. but can't help with the remote lock smith or a dealer.

Mine does the same. If locked with remote and then opened with key in the door then the alarm starts. Just put key in ignition and ignition on stop the alarm.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Mine does the same. If locked with remote and then opened with key in the door then the alarm starts. Just put key in ignition and ignition on stop the alarm.

Asterix they must have changed something as friends car is 07 CRDi 5 speed , mine 11 CRDi 6 speed both FD put my key in door open no alarm, his is sx mine slx think different alarm system, but just guessing.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Asterix they must have changed something as friends car is 07 CRDi 5 speed , mine 11 CRDi 6 speed both FD put my key in door open no alarm, his is sx mine slx think different alarm system, but just guessing.
My '09 model SX doe sit, too.
Stops when you  put the key in the ignition.
We had an'05 Nissan Pulsar Q which did the same thing. Caught my wife out in an underground car park not long after we got it.  :victory:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline debbie g

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Enjoyed reading all the responses to my key problem.  I rang the dealer and they said they couldn't see me until the end of next week but then said if I could leave it all day today they would look at it between other jobs.  Turns out one remote needed the contacts cleaned and the other had a loose battery.  Hyundai Nunawading were very helpful and I said I was a little embarrassed that it was such a simple solution and they laughed good naturedly.  No charge for them to find the problem.  :goodjob2:
  • 1.6 sx CRDi in silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:goodjob: three cheers for Hyundai Nunnawadding
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Well done Hy  :-[

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Not uncommon faults. I resoldered a remote fob for a friend with a Renault Laguna and saved him $300. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal