i30 Owners Club

Paint peeling on CW carry bars

Hornet · 27 · 7048

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Has there been any experience of paint peeling off the plastic end/cover caps on the CW roof carry bars?
I just returned from  Cairns and went through pouring/heavy rain all the way to Bundaberg. The following day I noticed 3 of the cover caps had damage to the paint, on one half the paint had been stripped off. The bars appear to be metal and they are OK. The Hy dealer said to bring it in and they would have a look at it. From memory the paintwork is only covered by a 2 year warranty, I could be wrong and it may not cover damage caused by the rain. New endcaps cost $90 each,  are black and would have to be painted silver so if this is not covered by warranty, I will try to remove the covers and have them re-painted.
Is it easy to remove the end caps?

• i30 CW CRDI 1.6l Auto 2011

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Reasonably easy to remove, you can get to the front lot by removing the rubber door seal, then the roof lining  should give you enough room to unbolt it. The rear can be done by removing the tail gate rubber and perhaps the side covers. You just want to seal it all up properly when they get refitted. Sikaflex has good body sealants that won't go hard over time.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Hati. "Reasonably easy" is quite involved for me. I thought the end caps may just clip off and then I would get them painted. If one has to remove the roof lining and rear seals I think I will leave it all to the Hyundai dealer.
I appreciate your reply

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The roof lining doesn't need to come off, once the rubber seals are pulled off, it should sag enough to get a spanner under it. The lining is a reasonably stiff structure, but nothing like the plastic door panels for instance.
The rubber seals are just pushed onto the body, I had them off before, pull off, push on.

This is all fairly basic work on a car, but if you are not confident in your abilities, it is indeed better to take it to Hy. Just have a look at the front first, peel off the rubber around the top edge of the door opening peek under the lining and see what you think ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hati, thanks again for your reply and concern. Perhaps once I saw how the caps were removed I would have the confidence to remove them. I found a post (I think by Dazz) that had photos of the removal process of the plastic ends, just lift them by hand, from the outter end up towards the carry bar. I tried this but do not have enough strength in my old hands. I do not want to lever the  plastic end cover as this may chip the paint on the roof of the i30. Anyhow as usual, the likes of you and this club are again just great.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just had a look at Trish's CW and her bars are still like new. I can see the problem trying to get them off Pretty hard to leaver without scratching something. I do remember a discussion about this before. I thought there was a clip or cover that came off but can't see one.  :undecided:

Think it was 2i30's who worked it out, but he is seldom on now.  :'(

If it was me I would probably mask them up thoroughly and spray them on the car.  :goodjob: (if they won't come to the party)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Dazz. The dealer took photos of the carry bar ends today and has sent them off the Hy. When Hy makes a decission I will post the result of the claim. Thanks for your comment.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:victory:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Thanks Dazz. The dealer took photos of the carry bar ends today and has sent them off the Hy. When Hy makes a decission I will post the result of the claim. Thanks for your comment.
hopefully the come back with a good result :Good_luck:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
And I also hope they come back with a good result. I have respect for Hy as they certainly have been good about any warranty problems, to date. The other day I saw an i30 CW with silver bars and black end caps and they looked OK. Whatever the outcome from Hy I think I will do the same, then I will never again have the problem of the paint peeling off the plastic end cap in heavy rain.
I tried to post here a picture of the end caps but could not get the photos under 50kb. How does one get a photo that small?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I tried to post here a picture of the end caps but could not get the photos under 50kb. How does one get a photo that small?

It's best to host your photos on a hosting site such as photobucket....

And here's a tutorial for using photobucket that "bumpkin" posted up... bumpkins simple guide to Photobucket - No frills, does the job!

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Tried to put up some photos but failed. Just shows how dumb I am and will have to get the Grandchildren to help me. Well the dealer advises Hy have approved the claim and new parts are on the way. I would have thought a repaint would have been OK.
No warranty claim problem with Hyundai or the dealer, just fantastic, and to top off that my i30  CRDI is one of the best cars I have owned.
Thanks for the advice  from members.
 :happydance:   

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
The paint on my ends of my bars started pealing after only 2 weeks after getting the car.

I dropped in to the dealer I bought it from and all they did was snap off the covers and sent them off for painting, while it drove around without the silver covers.

A week later I got a phone call saying they were ready, dropped in and they clipped them back on.

Metallic paint is hard to copy, but difference is very minimal.

No problems to date.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@ Hornet and h20melon  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hey I said "thanks to members" and forgot to say  "Thanks to the dealer and Hy"
Alls good for me and Melon

Offline hugo

• 1st Gear
The roof lining doesn't need to come off, once the rubber seals are pulled off, it should sag enough to get a spanner under it. The lining is a reasonably stiff structure, but nothing like the plastic door panels for instance.
The rubber seals are just pushed onto the body, I had them off before, pull off, push on.

This is all fairly basic work on a car, but if you are not confident in your abilities, it is indeed better to take it to Hy. Just have a look at the front first, peel off the rubber around the top edge of the door opening peek under the lining and see what you think ;)

Offline hugo

• 1st Gear
it is no paint. is a plastic black self aderence cover. i paintit whith plack oven spray.

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Thanks Hugo but black oven spray would be no good  on the silver ends as the black ends would not then match the silver bars. I would prefer if my bars and bar ends were all black as they would then match the grey car I have.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

HUgo makes a good point though.. Silver vinyl wrap might be a way of recovering them without taking them off (or messy overspray!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Or vinyl wrap the whole assembly in a distinctive colour.

I remember some pics of a black dash with a textured pattern on it, if you wanted black ones, that would be a way to get them.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
There are vinyl wrap places around who would do it in a jiffy.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hornet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Today our i30 had it's 52,500k service and at the same time  the dealer fixed  the ends to the carry bars. One might ask  (as I asked of the tradesman painter)  will the paint peel off again. I was shown that the original paint on the ends was powdery and come off when scratched lightly with the finger nail. I was assured the new paint would not go like that and he will remove the bars themselves, treat and repaint them just to ensure the bars and ends match in color match and the bars , like the ends, last the life of the vehicle.
This tradesman has done work for me previously and I know he is a skilled trades-person.
Again I say the service from the Bundaberg dealer and Hyundai has been 1st class and this matter is at an end. Am I happy? YOU BET I AM  :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:brilliant:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
All's well that ends well.

And thanks for the feedback.  :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Great news.  :happydance:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Good on the dealer,all it takes is to do the right thing and then get an honourable mention on this forum that is viewed in many countries by goodness knows how many people, can't get better than that. :goodjob2:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal