Power window button only works from armrest console in driver's door

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hello all

I went to Grahamstown this weekend for a bachelor's party, and upon my return to PE I discovered something odd.

If I wind down or up the right side rear window from the console on my front door armrest, the window goes up and down as it should. However, the button on the rear door itself does not operate it. This indicates that the switch is bust or faulty, but here is what confuses me even more - if I press the rear button up or down and at the same time use the one on the driver door armrest, it doesn't work. In other words, it detects that I am pressing the rear window button - it just doesn't move.

Anyone else had a similar issue? It worked fine when I picked the car up, and I double checked that I had not engaged the window lock by accident

Any tips welcome :)
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Check you Have not activated the lock button which is next to the switches on the drivers door?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Check you Have not activated the lock button which is next to the switches on the drivers door?
I checked it. Only the one window exhibits his behaviour

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I checked it. Only the one window exhibits his behaviour

I can only think that it is faulty switch then.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
It's just strange that when I try and use the front console to open and close it while holding down the button on the affected door, it doesn't work.

This tells me it is registering the button press, but for some reason it doesn't operate the motor. It could also be a safety feature so that two buttons don't operate the same window at the same time. Or, my other theory is that the master lock on the front window console is faulty and not 'unlocking' the rear button.

Either way I have a third party warranty that I will use when I have it looked at :)

Thanks for the tips!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Only on one of mine the SLX,if I open the rear doors and apply the child proof door locks(a little flip switch) the rear windows along with the inside handle will not open the door or the windows respectively.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Only on one of mine the SLX,if I open the rear doors and apply the child proof door locks(a little flip switch) the rear windows along with the inside handle will not open the door or the windows respectively.

That is interesting.. I didn't pick that up with our SLX.. :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I tried playing with the child lock switch as well - but, no difference.

I guess this is something that I will ask the service centre to have a look at for me. They also have a few rattles to sort out, but mainly there is one in my steering column that is quite annoying and my main priority

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal