i30 Owners Club

Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?

JUDY · 177 · 42054

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I'll tell you something wierd..... My user manual has completely no information on oil or spark plug changes so i have no idea what the warranty parameters are.
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Either way, given the treatment so far, Hy would NOT be touching my car. Forget warranty unless you are a person that enjoys a good dogfight, if so try the ACCC and take their advice.

I would, 1 Replace all spark plugs at home. It's not hard to do, or get a friend with the correct spanner to do it for you. Keep the old plugs. Start the car and idle to check for any abnormal noise, if none, drive it to a diagnostic garage. Do not mention the plugs but ask only for a boroscope inspection of the cylinder with the bad plug & a compression test. If they ask why, just tell them Hubby wants the info. Don't mention anything about faults or the price will go up.

If the tests come back as normal, then I would do an oil and filter change and just drive the car.

This will be the cheapest solution to you problems IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Either way, given the treatment so far, Hy would NOT be touching my car. Forget warranty unless you are a person that enjoys a good dogfight, if so try the ACCC and take their advice.

I would, 1 Replace all spark plugs at home. It's not hard to do, or get a friend with the correct spanner to do it for you. Keep the old plugs. Start the car and idle to check for any abnormal noise, if none, drive it to a diagnostic garage. Do not mention the plugs but ask only for a boroscope inspection of the cylinder with the bad plug & a compression test. If they ask why, just tell them Hubby wants the info. Don't mention anything about faults or the price will go up.

If the tests come back as normal, then I would do an oil and filter change and just drive the car.

This will be the cheapest solution to you problems IMO.

I agree with just about everything that everyone has put forward.  However, I feel I have been treated shockingly.  The Service Manager never made any attempt to speak with us and when we picked the car up nobody would make eye contact with us.  Consumer Affairs Victoria said that depending on hyundai's response we could put in a complaint and that this would fall under the Trade Practices act (regardless of warranty) under repairs of faulty products.  Hyundai Icare have said they will send me their response by the end of the week so let's see if they are as inflexible, dismissive and blunt as they were in our last 3 phone calls.  As for the Hyundai Dealer Service Department - so want to name them but will save it for later - I don't think their mechanics have any idea about cars and servicing?  IMO they just saw an opportunity to gouge me and profit from what they deem my misfortune.  Plug has been shown to 2 mechanics this morning and straight away they said "Well no wonder it's a Champion plug and they're cheap crap"  so there you have it......Will never buy a new Hyundai again......and joke of it is that only the week before we were talking about trading it in on a newer larger car from them.  LOL
  • 2010 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Whoa, hold on a bit. I'm surprised that the brand of plug is Champion in the first place. Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand. Checking on the Workshop manual, the plug type should be ZFR5F-11 for the 1.6 G motor in 2010. Googling the plug code gives me NGK brand plugs, (a good brand, I believe and fitted to the KIA CEED), so unless Champion have an equivalent, they may not be the original plugs and your criticism of Hyundai, may be misguided. Perhaps a member with a 2010 petrol car, would also check theirs and confirm as well.

You have multiple Hyundai's and all have been good cars, so I wouldn't write the brand off just yet.

However, you have every right to be highly critical of their after sales service and when you're ready, do tell us the distributor you've been unfortunate enough to deal with.

This has happened to other member's and selecting another distributor has usually fixed their problems.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:44:25 by Phil №❶ »

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Whoa, hold on a bit. I'm surprised that the brand of plug is Champion in the first place. Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand. Checking on the Workshop manual, the plug type should be ZFR5F-11 for the 1.6 G motor in 2010. Googling the plug code gives me NGK brand plugs, (a good brand, I believe and fitted to the KIA CEED), so unless Champion have an equivalent, they may not be the original plugs and your criticism of Hyundai, may be misguided. Perhaps a member with a 2010 petrol car, would also check theirs and confirm as well.

You have multiple Hyundai's and all have been good cars, so I wouldn't write the brand off just yet.

However, you have every right to be highly critical of their after sales service and when you're ready, do tell us the distributor you've been unfortunate enough to deal with.

This has happened to other member's and selecting another distributor has usually fixed their problems.

Car is ISX2.0m and brought the car brand new.  Last service the plugs were not changed and Hyundai said that they haven't changed them.....so in the car for the whole 38,363 kms
  • 2010 i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Car is ISX2.0m and brought the car brand new.  Last service the plugs were not changed and Hyundai said that they haven't changed them.....so in the car for the whole 38,363 kms
I agree with Phil. I can't see how Champion plugs would be fitted at the factory. I would suggest they have been changed at a service sometime but not shown up on the invoice.
However, the dealer's treatment of you is reprehensible.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Fair enough, but disappointing, I don't like 'em much. :fum:

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic

Well so this bizarre saga continues.  My husband buys spark plug.  Comes home to put spark plug in only to find spark plug has been replaced.  Engine covers are off motor.  We just drove round the block....seems ok.  Car is going in to mechanics tomorrow to have all spark plugs replaced and have a scope and tune up done.
Stranger still......while LILYDALE HYUNDAI, YES THAT's right I said LILYDALE HYUNDAI AND I'll say it again if someone missed it LILYDALE HYUNDAI, were saying they couldn't fix my car for me they vacuumed it and gave it a quick wash.  BIZARRO WORLD HERE!!!!
I paid for a tow truck to pick car up and seems drivable???  Maybe will find out more tomorrow who knows?  Will be sure to get plugs that are taken out for future amusement for everyone
  • 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Now that is a twist!  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
During this thread i've been looking around in the Hyundai literature to check on a few things and have found some strange irregularities in the supplied User Manuals.

As i said before, my dutch manual has no maintenance schedules whatsoever, nothing, nada, nix, niente. Thats the newest version.

The i30 manual on the internet has an extensive maintenance schedule but according to that one the plugs should be changed every 60,000 km or 48 months for nickel plugs and 160,000 km or 120 months for iridium plugs

Both pertain to the GD engine.

It would seem that there are discrepencies in the manner in which customers are being informed as to what maintenance they can do themselves (These are USER manuals).

There is also no mention of make or type of spark plug other than using the correct heat range.

It would be nice to just have one version.

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Thing that irks me is that they new I'd had my car towed in to them.....cost me $200.  They then said they wouldn't fix the car unless I agreed to an open ended bill........they then charged me $136.00 to check my car and left the engine covers off (I DIDN'T PAY TO PICK UP A CAR IN PARTS).....and they then let me get the car towed to my home.....cost me $88.00.  So not very happy and absolutely GOBSMACKED at how their service department operates.  Makes me think that unless your an under warranty service customer that you'll think you've been dealing with a proctologist if you got anything else done with them?......

Administrator Comment Post has been moderated
  • 2010 i30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Judy, Judy, Judy..... (that was my Cary Grant),

We all feel for you, you have been treated with no respect and i can only presume they saw you coming a mile away and thought ka-ching.

I seriously doubt anyone would agree to an open-ended bill on an almost 5 year old car. Maybe they had a potential buyer and thought they could get the car off you cheap. Who knows (believe me, it happens).

Matter still remains that they (LILYDALE was it ?) should have been more forthcoming with alternative courses of action.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Judy, Judy, Judy..... (that was my Cary Grant),

We all feel for you, you have been treated with no respect and i can only presume they saw you coming a mile away and thought ka-ching.

I seriously doubt anyone would agree to an open-ended bill on an almost 5 year old car. Maybe they had a potential buyer and thought they could get the car off you cheap. Who knows (believe me, it happens).

Matter still remains that they (LILYDALE was it ?) should have been more forthcoming with alternative courses of action.

In my opinion, you should shaft them back, big time........... but that's just my take on things.

He took the words right out of my mouth... :goodjob:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
And just to be complete.......... We are talking about these guys ?

Also Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge.

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
Yes it was LILYDALE HYUNDAI. 

Good Cary Grant BTW

I still can put in a claim with VCAT and also this may be covered under Fair Trading Victoria and Consumer Affairs.  There is also the matter of their $136.00 bill they charged for looking at the car.....which didn't mention that they had put a spark plug in and then left my car with the engine covers off and also left me thinking that the car had the spark plug removed and not another one put in it so that I arranged a tow truck.

IMO they were thinking they're caught me hook, line and sinker.......and come in spinner.   

Will be sending a very very long winded complaint to the dealer principal of LILYDALE HYUNDAI.   
  • 2010 i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
what make of plug did they put in?

If it's not NGK do consider replacing it, and don't forget to do the other 3 VERY soon. Do make sure you get the temperature digit right.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Yes it was LILYDALE HYUNDAI. 

Good Cary Grant BTW

I still can put in a claim with VCAT and also this may be covered under Fair Trading Victoria and Consumer Affairs.  There is also the matter of their $136.00 bill they charged for looking at the car.....which didn't mention that they had put a spark plug in and then left my car with the engine covers off and also left me thinking that the car had the spark plug removed and not another one put in it so that I arranged a tow truck.

IMO they were thinking they're caught me hook, line and sinker.......and come in spinner.   

Will be sending a very very long winded complaint to the dealer principal of LILYDALE HYUNDAI.

I would also send the same letter to the CEO of Hyundai and state you want reimbursing of all costs you've incurred

Seems strange that they fitted a spark plug and the engine seems ok, if there was any damage it would sound like a bag nails and running on 3 cylinders. Looks like they are trying to rip you off.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 15:11:22 by Johnno »
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good idea and feel free to send him a link to this thread!  :whistler:

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic
WELL WELL WELL turns out LILYDALE HYUNDAI.  Sorry you missed that?  LILYDALE HYUNDAI have no idea about mechanical workings of my car????  Either that or they saw an opportunity to profit from my little misfortune?  Whether it's the former or the latter it's pretty damning for their reputation.  Just picked up my car this afternoon from a PROPER mechanic and MY OH MY it's not broken......see attached crappy spark plugs including the TORCH plug they just shoved in.  Also attached an invoice for service.......which just happens to be lower than what I paid LILYDALE HYUNDAI to do ABSOBLOODYLUTELY BUGGAR ALL.

If I had any advice for anyone who wanted to buy a Hyundai it would be ......do it they're great cars but don't get your services done with them and don't expect them to treat you any respect if you have any concerns.

• 2010 i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

WELL WELL WELL turns out LILYDALE HYUNDAI.  Sorry you missed that?  LILYDALE HYUNDAI have no idea about mechanical workings of my car????  Either that or they saw an opportunity to profit from my little misfortune?  Whether it's the former or the latter it's pretty damning for their reputation.  Just picked up my car this afternoon from a PROPER mechanic and MY OH MY it's not broken......see attached crappy spark plugs including the TORCH plug they just shoved in.  Also attached an invoice for service.......which just happens to be lower than what I paid LILYDALE HYUNDAI to do ABSOBLOODYLUTELY BUGGAR ALL.

If I had any advice for anyone who wanted to buy a Hyundai it would be ......do it they're great cars but don't get your services done with them and don't expect them to treat you any respect if you have any concerns.

Ha ha love it :brilliant:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Lilydale Hyundai are entitled to their right of reply, but I doubt that there is anything they can say that could possibly justify their position.

My advice to Lilydale, total compensation of all expenses incurred, including towing fees, an apology to your customer, a new Service Manager, with correct service staff training.

Looking at the number of views & replies, your reputation has suffered considerably. I wish I lived in Victoria so that I could avoid anything to do with this company.

Shame on Lilydale Hyundai  :disapp: :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As a matter of interest, what brand of plugs are in your car now, Judy  :question:

Offline JUDY

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Vic

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I'm glad you're back up and running, Judy.  :happydance:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Champion plugs aren't to bad, the problem being is that standard copper core plugs were used and they should be changed every 20 to 30 thousand kms, if using Iridium or Platinum plugs you can get 100,000 kms

Personally I've only ever used Brisk plugs :link: Brisk Spark Plugs Australia in most of my cars for the last decade or more because of their racing heritage but they don't have a version to suit the GD i30's.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm inviting Lilydale Hyundai to respond to this topic:

:link: Broken Spark Plug - not changed during service - VOIDED WARRANTY?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Topic locked while I have an online chat with Mark at Lilydale...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
OK. Mark is passing my comments onto Lilydale management who now have all the information they require to respond.

Topic will remain locked for the time being.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments, pictures and experiences. It's time now to give Lilydale a chance to explain from their perspective.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Lilydale on 10/03/2015
Afternoon Steve and thanks for the opportunity to respond.

Vehicle was presented to us on a tow truck with a misfire and knocking.

RACV reports are usually taken pretty lightly these days within the industry because vehicles are becoming harder and harder to roadside diagnose than they used to be and it’s usually best to start your own diagnosis so you don’t miss things on the way.

So starting afresh the Tech went straight into vehicle with GDS (diagnostic tool) to confirm misfire DTC’s and which cylinder. No.4

Tech removed the lead and plug to find the ceramic insulator for the electrode on the combustion chamber side to be missing.

Removed other spark plugs and carried out leak down test on cylinder 4 and felt air escaping from cylinder 3.

Bore scope proved inconclusive.

I, myself called HMCA warranty dept and my AASM for clarification, that as the plugs had not been replaced at the scheduled time of 36 months, that this would now be a retail repair which is, I believe, the main point of contention. Remembering that the warranty is with HMCA and not Lilydale Hyundai. Put purely if the manufacturer is not willing to pay for a repair because it falls outside what is warranty then I’m certainly not going to do the work for free and I’m also not going to risk mine or Lilydale Hyundai’s reputation with one of our manufacturers by circumventing the truth.

The owner asked for a rough quote, which in my experience, customers will hold you to, so time was taken to try and estimate a quote based on experience and not all the facts we would have with the head removed.

We had never seen the vehicle before and exercised our right as a repairer, as per VACC, we charged 1hr of labour even though we had spent 2hrs on it.

If the owner had gone ahead with the repair that cost could have been absorbed in the repair.

I have attached a photo copy of the service records and the invoice presented to the owner with their details blacked out for privacy purposes. 

Once again thank-you for the opportunity to give you an insight to the limitations faced by Lilydale Hyundai to have the owners vehicle repaired under warranty when the manufacturers’ policy states that for the manufacturers’ warranty to remain intact the vehicle must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers’ schedule.

If you require further information on this case please don’t hesitate to contact me direct via return email.

Sincerely

********** (name supplied)

Fixed Operations Manager

Lilydale Hyundai.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal