i30 Owners Club

Trouble with reversing sensors

Xorms · 9 · 2617

Offline Xorms

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
I thought I was too close for comfort when backing up today and I'm glad I didn't wait for my reversing sensors to kick in.  I was only about an inch away from hitting a wall!

Is there a known issue, or an activation that should take place before the sensors begin to work? 
  • 2010 i30cw Trophy

Pip
Reversing sensors get their power from the reversing lights which require that the reversing lights be on which in turn need the reverse selected switch to work. Mine are not original equipment and they make a short beep when activated. So do they beep? Are the reverse lights on etc?

Any of this help?

Offline rojo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallington
Mine are exactly the same set up as Pip's
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Comfort Auto Mica Stone Black

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
IMO...Perhaps your car was close to the wall and you're also backing up quickly, so the reversing sensors did not activate in time. Sometimes it happened to me, too. Now when there's something behind my car, I wait for the beep sound after shifting to "R" to ensure the sensors activated. :)

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is there a known issue,

First time this has been mentioned on here.

I take it they are factory fitted which mine are and when I put the car into reverse I get an audible sound to tell me they are activated. 

Do/did you get this sound?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Xorms

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Reversing sensors get their power from the reversing lights which require that the reversing lights be on which in turn need the reverse selected switch to work.

By "selected" you mean I should be in reverse?

And to all of you: Yes - when I shift to R, I hear two beeps.  The 2nd one is very staccato in comparison, which I'm sure isn't anything to do with it.  My reverse lights are definetly on, but the one thing I can tell you that I do notice is that they aren't nearly as bright as reverse lights I've had in the past - however they light the areas visible in my rear view mirrors very well.

And everything is stock standard.  Is it possible that they have been deactivated in any way, or perhaps damaged somehow? 
  • 2010 i30cw Trophy

Pip
Sounds like they are broken in some way. Try turning on the ignition and selecting reverse without starting the engine. Then standing to the side, reach over and slide your hand in front of each sensor in turn. Each one should beep.

Offline Xorms

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Well I tried running my hand behind it while it's in reverse but nothing happened - except ONCE.  I was doing it with a friend and must have touched it at just the right angle perhaps.

I'll continue to experiment and post results if I can find a fix.

In the meantime, I've noticed that the initial beeping to signal activation now seems to go 5 times instead of 2, as if they are detecting something already. 
  • 2010 i30cw Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There appear to be major issues with your sensors .. please get them checked by the dealer  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal