i30 Owners Club

New To i30 - Steering jerky?

Offline jayjay2cv

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Morecambe
Hello, I have just bought a 2013 i30 Style Nav diesel which comes with electric power steering.

This is the first car I have had with this feature, as my previous cars have had normal power steering but have noticed with the i30 that, when travelling slowly (up to 15mph) in heavy traffic, if you turn the steering wheel slightly, it feels a bit jerky. However, once you drive at normal speeds, it feels smooth again. Is this normal?
  • 2013 i30 1.6 CRDI Style Nav Estate

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Do you have flex-steer? I'm sure you will have. If so, what's it set at?

PS, welcome to the club :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline jayjay2cv

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Morecambe
Hi, thanks. Yes I do have flex steer. It is set to normal, but I have tried it on all three settings and it seems to be the same on all three.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What you may be experiencing is the steering is naturally wanting to return to the straight ahead position and at low speed and with the lighter feel of the electric steering it is more noticable.

I have felt this especially in car parking but not at higher speed.

I also find the electric steering is more lighter at lower speed so slight changes are felt which i did not have in other cars with non electric power steering.

I have my setting at Normal for all types of driving.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
When you feel the "jerky", is it just through the steering wheel or does the car body feel like it's dancing?

How are your tyre pressures? They should be around 34-36psi

Offline jayjay2cv

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Morecambe
Thanks for your replies Saracen and Shambles. The jerky feeling is felt just from the steering wheel when you move it slightly from side to side. It is a very strange feeling. I haven't checked the tyre pressures as yet.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Also, try reaching under the steering column and release the column adjuster... try bringing the wheel closer to you (or, if it's already at its most outset, further in away from you), see if that makes a difference.

The steering geometry is fly-by-wire, leading to an electronic coupling motor and steering sensor. There is a chance that something needs adjusting, like the angle sensor, but by eliminating the easy things we can narrow it down, hopefully :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for your replies Saracen and Shambles. The jerky feeling is felt just from the steering wheel when you move it slightly from side to side. It is a very strange feeling. I haven't checked the tyre pressures as yet.
I think what you are feeling is that it wants to return to the straight ahead postion.

Offline jayjay2cv

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Morecambe
Interestingly, have just found the quotes below from another steering topic on the forum, and these probably explain my problem a little more clearly, although from the quotes, it would seem to be a characteristic of older i30's too.

Re: Steering issue fixed, thanks moorooka hyundai.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 22:46:43 »
"Does anyone else find that the steering kinda of locks when turning the wheel straight?  Sounds strange, but I notice this when stuck in traffic going slow."

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:19 »
"Yes.  The electric input is kinda weird.  If you wobble the wheel very slightly left and right when stopped you will feel it come on and off almost like a switch such that the wheel alternates between light and heavy but without any consistency.  It is hard to describe.

I amuse myself with it when bored at the lights."

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 08:28:31 »
"Yeah that's when I do it and then see how straight I can go...though I tend to veer to one side...left I think.  I was doing that yesterday when I was parked on the Western Ring Road."

These were from members with 2008 i30's, and the feeling on mine is the same - alternating between light and heavy when turned slightly.

I will have to have a look at your suggestions tomorrow, as it is my day off and I will have a little more time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You could try an ecu reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so .. if that helps then you know there is a problem. Moderator Doggie1 has had a similar problem and this fixed his temporarily.. you will need to reset your radio etc.. after though :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Is the steering wheel in straight ahead position when driving straight? The MDPS (motor driven power steering) can feel a bit like that at low speeds. Steering angle sensor may need calibrating. Not something you can do at home. Is there any knocking when rocking steering back and forth?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I really need to find the time to get mine in to be looked at.
Mine is at its worst at highway speeds on the freeway.
The steering will "lock on" a course, slightly off centre so the car veers into another lane, then to straighten it I have to forcefully turn it to the left but the steering wheel movement isn't fluid, it's incremental and it will then "lock on" slightly in the other direction.
This results in constant tugs at the wheel to try to maintain a straight line but the worst thing is the tendency to drift into the adjacent traffic lane.
It's not a pleasant feeling and I have no doubt it is a faulty EPS unit.
Convincing Hyundai may be another thing though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline jayjay2cv

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Morecambe
Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have booked the car in at my local Hyundai dealer, DSG (who are absolutely fantastic), next week and will get them to check it for me. Could be that as it is new to me, I am just not used to it, and how it should feel.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for all your replies and advice. I have booked the car in at my local Hyundai dealer, DSG (who are absolutely fantastic), next week and will get them to check it for me. Could be that as it is new to me, I am just not used to it, and how it should feel.

Their finding and your feedback would be appreciated

Offline Hentaiboy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This is happening intermittently on my GD i30. The wheel self centers and it requires more force than normal to move it from the straight position, like it's 'sticky'.
Very unnerving at motorway speeds. Will ask dealer to look into it.
  • GD i30 CRDi Elite

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal