i30 Owners Club

minimum distance for modern vehicle?

joebris · 35 · 5651

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
I have notice most modern vehicles don't enjoy been driven a few metres, turn off and then started again.
eg car in garage overnight drive a few metres into driveway wash it, then attempt to start again and it's a b*#*h to start like it's starve of fuel.
I assume that this is due to the ECU is confused?
Therefore my question what is the minimum distance it takes for a modern vehicle to calibrate the info it needs not to be confused?
  • i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't have that problem with either of ours.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Never had that with any car. ???

Maybe you should quiz the garage when you have your next service. I can't think what the cause would be.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hope you don't mind me saying, but NEVER touch the accelerator pedal when starting a fuel injected vehicle. That will make starting difficult.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: Can't recall having that issue with any modern car..  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Add me to the list...car get's reversed back 4 metres washed and then driven back into the carport, starts first pop the next day :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Just did it this morning with both our cars. Out while I worked in the garage. Then back in. No problems.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I have notice most modern vehicles don't enjoy been driven a few metres, turn off and then started again.
eg car in garage overnight drive a few metres into driveway wash it, then attempt to start again and it's a b*#*h to start like it's starve of fuel.
I assume that this is due to the ECU is confused?
Therefore my question what is the minimum distance it takes for a modern vehicle to calibrate the info it needs not to be confused?
More information?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
More information?

Ok Car in garage overnight, starts perfectly move a couple metres turn off. Car has been on for less than say 5 seconds. Leave for a while 30mins or so than try to start again this time far from perfect,

I feel like I have been two timing  :-[ , but a couple of suggestions from another forum suggest
it may be due to fuel injection system is still in choke mode (cold engine)when you start to drive a very short distance then stop again.
Then when you go to start again the engine is flooded with fuel

and another suggestion
When the engine starts up from cold it is running rich and in a catalyst light off mode. This condition is determined by the water temperature. If you turn off the engine and start up again it will repeat thus strategy. So may the plugs have fouled, due to too much fuel. Take it for a run, get it up to temperature.

Yeah so the above suggestions do make sense, as it did start the second time like it was flooded  :fum:

And Phil thanks for the suggestion and I not at all offended, I have gotten my self into the habit of starting cars with one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake  :goodjob:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Joe you do not say if you have a petrol or diesel.......

anyway I went out and did exactly as you reported , and I did not have a problem with my petrol i30.......

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Can say this has never happened with both i30's I have/had (FD and GD)
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

anyway I went out and did exactly as you reported , and I did not have a problem with my petrol i30.......

i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol,if it was any clearer it would bite you  :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Add me to the list.
Never had that problem.
I'm difficult to start in the morning but my car's fine.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol,if it was any clearer it would bite you  :rofl: :rofl:

ok Richard, you got me....... he made two posts....#1 and #9......which one states the above? :undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

ok Richard, you got me....... he made two posts....#1 and #9......which one states the above? :undecided:
His sig is on the bottom of his first post. And reply #9.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Both John Both.look below the post,looking at posters here most of us have under our posts what cars we have,I noticed you haven't,but that is not an issue I've seen yours  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

More information?

Ok Car in garage overnight, starts perfectly move a couple metres turn off. Car has been on for less than say 5 seconds. Leave for a while 30mins or so than try to start again this time far from perfect,

I feel like I have been two timing  :-[ , but a couple of suggestions from another forum suggest
it may be due to fuel injection system is still in choke mode (cold engine)when you start to drive a very short distance then stop again.
Then when you go to start again the engine is flooded with fuel

and another suggestion
When the engine starts up from cold it is running rich and in a catalyst light off mode. This condition is determined by the water temperature. If you turn off the engine and start up again it will repeat thus strategy. So may the plugs have fouled, due to too much fuel. Take it for a run, get it up to temperature.

Yeah so the above suggestions do make sense, as it did start the second time like it was flooded  :fum:

And Phil thanks for the suggestion and I not at all offended, I have gotten my self into the habit of starting cars with one foot on the clutch and the other on the brake  :goodjob:

By more information I meant about the bad start itself.

Is this purely cold start or can it happen at any time of the day?

Does it crank and not start? Does it crank for an extended time before starting? Does it start quickly but run poorly?

The couple of other replies you have listed could happen, but only if there is a fault in the vehicle. Otherwise the ECU knows what it's doing, can see all required parameters and will always inject the correct amount.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Both John Both.look below the post,looking at posters here most of us have under our posts what cars we have,I noticed you haven't,but that is not an issue I've seen yours  :rofl:

Now I feel like a right Richard Cranium for not been able o read........ :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 and 9  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Now I feel like a right Richard Cranium for not been able o read........ :head_butt:

Hey that's my name,get your own  :lol:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
How about the title Detective Chief? :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
Never had a problem with this, but I do feel bad for starting the engine for such a small distance!  :fum:

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
we as I said earlier gave my question a bit of run on another forum and like here many have been lucky enough or smart enough for it not to occur to them.
However about half the responders on the other forum have had the same occurrence as I did yesterday with the i30. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2305498

IMO it has not happen to many because they have run the car for a longer period eg more than 10 seconds.
This has happen to me twice now the time before last was in a 2012 Mazda 3 doing the exact same very short trip  :-[  once bitten twice shy not me  :whistler:
Interesting I went back through the mazda owner's manual and it does warn against short stars of less than 10 seconds and directs user to the how to rectify a flooded engine if it occurs, should had read that a few years back  :disapp:

Just to add I am a culprit of doing the same micro trip in my work vehicle and never has a problem being a diesel.

so what have I learnt when doing short starts in a modern petrol let car idle for at least 10 seconds I recon I might go for a minute just to make sure  :victory:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 13:07:11 by joebris »

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The reason I asked about conditions is because I have started and stopped literally 100's of cars within 10sec and restart 5-10min later without ever experiencing a concern. But all have been middle of the day after sitting for a few hours, so not stone cold overnight cold.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Joe if it is only going to be a 5 second trip, could you possibly push it?

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I used to get this on my old Hyundai Lantra, usually when the engine started cold, ran long enough to put it away into the garage, then left overnight. It made me think it was the fuel quality. Until the engine fully warmed up it ran rough. Maybe cold engines get gummed up in the injectors if not warmed up? Just my thoughts.

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Joe if it is only going to be a 5 second trip, could you possibly push it?

yeah I could and the exercise would be good for me :sweating: but I reckon I just let it run for longer before switching it off

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've been giving this a bit of thoughtt over the last day or two as I move my cars around.
Now I'm not so old fashioned that I want to warm my engine up for 60 seconds before I drive it, but I've been paying attention to when I start the car.
I would probably never move the car inside 10 seconds from starting.
Iput the clutch in, start it, let the clutch out (starting in neutral) and then put the clutch in and select a gear (1st or reverse). There are always a bit more than 10 seconds elapsed in this, so if I then reversed it onto the driveway and turned it off, at least 30 seconds or so has gone by.

I guess what I'm saying is, I never just start the car and slam it into gear and move off. Surely you should give the engine time to circulate the oil at least.

And if you do that, you're outside the 10 second lag.

What are others thoughts.

This is a good learning curve. Great topic.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
this morning I tried this.

Started and moved just out of the gate, 10 yards/3 metres.
stopped car.

left it a minute then restarted no probs...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal