i30 Owners Club

2008 i30 headlamp assembly stuck

Offline masser1956

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Hello I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

Last week I had to leave my car into a garage because the rear left door would not open. After waiting two days for the dealer to send them the door assembly I got my car back.
That night I noticed the rear left reverse light and front left headlight (H7) were not working.

I read on Google somewhere that to change the front bulb I would have to undo three 10ml bolts and5 screws along the top and gently pull out the whole unit.  I did this but I didn't realise that I pulled the whole unit out just a fraction of an inch too far.
Well I got the H7 bulb changed and began to push the assembly back in to place.

It is stuck about 1/4 of an inch from going fully back in.

There is a gap of about 1/4 of an inch all round the unit from bumper and side panel.

I tried very gently levering the unit into place without scratching the panel or bumper but no luck.

Can anyone suggest please a failsafe method for me to re seat the assembly???

Changing the reversing bulb was easy. No problem with that.

Thank you in advance.
Masser
  • i30 2008

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I know where your at but it's a bit difficult to explain what to do from there. It's all a matter of doing the jiggle-wiggle dance. Just be careful of the paintwork on the inner lower corner.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's a lip near the rear of the top of the glass housing that has to locate into the wing, otherwise you'll get the gap you describe.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline masser1956

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Thank you guys for taking time to reply.
I'm not able to budge the assembly, two reasons (1) I'm afraid to jiggle wiggle too hard and pull out wires or do any other damage.  (2) The base of the glass is tight onto the bumper edge not allowing me to lever anything in there to lift the assembly up a little. The widest gap is nearer to the wing side.  (Hope I've explained this well and not confused anyone)

Should I try re doing what I did before... pull/push the assembly out again in order to try putting it back in?

Afraid of rust settling in or light wires getting drenched in rains now... so if you can describe a step by step approach I'd be really grateful guys.

Thank you

Masser
  • i30 2008

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
As above, it is tricky to maneuver it in the original spot, but what I would recommend is getting some vinyl or tape and taping the bodywork up around the headlight in case you bump it. The last thing you want is to scrape paint off or scrape the light housing.

Wiggle and jiggle it and it should eventually go in  :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ masser1956

Yes, push it back out and try again. Even if you smear some Vaseline on the top of the bumper before you try and refit it..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
If your worried about wires you can leave the light unplugged. There is only the one connector external of the light housing.
Sorry I can't describe it any better, it's just done it so many times I don't even think about it anymore.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Just replaced a globe today so took notice. I get light sitting in place then locate the outside corner. Next get the bottom of the light to move in first and the rest follows. It dropped in quite easily but I've done it a few times.

Offline masser1956

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Hello Cruisefied
First of all thank you so much for taking the time to notice the steps of changing the bulb PLUS posting photos of the steps, really appreciate this.

I've not managed to budge the assembly at all neither in or out again. The unit is stuck.

On yur your first photo there is a little holder/hole type thingy on the body ...where I am in that is the lamp unit sits just under it but should it slot into the holder/hole? 
Then the wider part of the lamp unit is in fully where as yours sits out. Base is firmly stuck.

Basically mine is opposite of yours... so now I'm stumped.

I've a 300 mile trip ahead of me this Friday to the base of Ireland and home the following day. Driving at night only the light which wasn't worked on is pointing properly to the road where as the one that's stuck points to the hedges....... So Id really love to fix this before Friday.

Unfortunately the weather over the last few days has held me back from working on it, we had the tail end of a hurricane that hit Bermuda. I don't have any shelter to work under.

Think I'll have to eek a mechanic out to fix it.

:undecided:
  • i30 2008

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Best of luck. I would definitely get it sorted before your trip though.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Take it to Halfords nearby you. They supply and fit bulbs. Ask them to sort it out - it'll cost you £5.99 (€8) - and you'll get a spare bulb as part of the process.

:link: Halfords Belfast (686) Store

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :Agoodpost: Shambles  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline masser1956

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Belfast
Took it to Halfords on Boucher Road today. Pain for the bulb @£16.99  plus £6.99 for help to install new bulb.

When the guy finally came to the car, he noticed his hand wouldn't go into the tight space to remove the cover.  He then said that they do not remove light units.

I took the bolts and screws out., and WAS able to wriggle the unit out again... As I was removing the bulb cover he heard me saying to my son that my hand was able to fit in to the tight space...the guy asked me to move to one side and within two minutes had changed the bulb and replaced the cover.  I asked him (cheekily) for a refund... :)

So thank you guys for helping me through this tough time.

Masser1956
  • i30 2008

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  I asked him (cheekily) for a refund... :)

Did you get one?
 :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler: :whistler:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
He then said that they do not remove light units.

That's a lie. I cannot see it being any different in NI.

Only last week I was parked up outside Halfords in Leigh, scoffing a KFC Lunchbox, watching an Audi TT having a new offside bulb fitted, in a removed headlamp unit.

:link: Halfords Advice Centre | Halfords Car Bulb Fitting Service

Quote from: Halfords
Halfords has a car bulb fitting service to make life easier for you. It’s trickier to fit a car bulb than you think, but we've got trained fitters who can get you back on the road quicker and more cheaper than any dealership.

we fit headlight bulbs from £6.99 (€7.99) each.

Give them a ring. Get some of that cash back.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Only last week I was parked up outside Halfords in Leigh, scoffing a KFC Lunchbox,

So what do you get in the box?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal