10'000k update: 2011 i30 "Hippo"

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi guys

So I thought since my new-to-me i30 has clocked just past 10K km, I would give a little write-up on my findings, what I like and what I don't, and what I have learnt.

I purchased my i30 through Hypercar on the 6th of June after much uhm-ing and aah-ing and frivolously researching cars on the net, asking people for opinions and generally walking away with more questions than answers.

My ideal car that I had in my head was either a Mitsubishi Lancer GLS 2.0l, as they have crappy resale value in SA and they are rock solid cars so they can be found for very little outlay. However, the 2l MIVEC engine is quite thirsty and it lacked some of the mod cons of other vehicles. My other option was an older car, the 2006 - 2009 Ford Focus hatchback. I was particularly interested in the TDCI as I absolutely love the torque that diesel motors provide as well as the fuel consumption...the downside however was that although there are a lot of petrol models for sale, I could not find one I liked and the TDCI models all had very high mileage, and a second hand turbodiesel is something that scared me.

To cut a long story short, I test drove Hippo and fell in love. A week later I took delivery of a shiny new (to me) car!

She had 155K km on the odo when I took delivery, a bit high, but my job entails me driving around a lot and a new car would have gone to waste very quickly. I paid ZAR106'000 for it in total, around AUS $10600, which is a steal since a VW Golf 4 circa 2003 with double the mileage costs about the same (VW has a cult following in SA, I hate them and would not touch them with a very long pole. Also, the Polo is the most hijacked vehicle in SA which means insurance on it would have cost more than the vehicle itself).

Getting back to the point, the features of the i30 that grabbed me most was how quiet it was coming from my old Honda Ballade. I also really liked the mod cons such as the electric power steering, the electric windows, autodimming rear view mirror, auto folding side mirrors, climate control and mostly the great headlights! What I didn't initially like was a rattle that started in my first tankful in my speedo cluster, as well as the rattle in the rear view mirror - minor problems but warranty does not cover it so I have to deal with it. Although things like these are to be expected on a high mileage car.

Pros:

-Oodles of power coming from an old 1.5l 8v engine
-Climate Control works well, it copes with aplomb in our arid climate (so far...)
-I love all the little storage bins in the cabin, everything in my car has a place and it doesn't fall around all the time
-Headlights are fantastic, they provide a good clear line of sight compared to the Honda
-Sound system is great for something that comes standard from the factory, the USB works well too
-Very ergonomic, especially the rake and reach adjustment on the steering column and the height adjustable drivers' seat
-Quiet engine that hasn't missed a beat yet
-full size spare tyre, better than those flimsy emergency tyres that some cars have
-cargo net in the boot has been very helpful in more than one instance
-Despite what the reviews say I love the feel of the steering wheel and have no complaints with it
-

Cons:
-Revs seem a bit high @ 120Kph (around 3800rpm) in top gear, I think they should have added a 6th gear on the FD models
-Fuel consumption isn't great, the OBC claims I average 7.0l/100km but Fuelly suggests around 8 - 8.5. I drive with a really light foot, only use CC on downhills with foot off the pedal, etc.
-Grabby clutch. I swear I would gimp 50% my pullaways and stall the car for the first month I had it. Either the revs would dip too low and it would stall or I would rev the t!ts off it and look like an angsty teen wanting to 'dice' :lol: no clutch modulation at all
-my radio turns off and on when I turn my headlights on, but this is really my fault as I am running an HID kit and the ballasts are probably causing a surge on startup. My colleague has the same kit on his Golf and his works flawlessly.
-Every now and then halfway through a song my USB will stop working, then I need to unplug it and turn the radio off for about 15 minutes before I can turn it on and resume playing it. Happens with each one of my thumb drives.
-no RDS, but +because I managed to add it myself. It sucks that we don't get it as stock, though.
-due to the 205/55R16 rubbers, the ride is a bit harsh and not really meant for SA roads (potholes everywhere)
-the power windows take forever to wind up and down. I have tried graphite spray on the runners to no avail. I also wish they could have added auto-up on the drivers window
-gearchanges are a bit notchy and I feel they could be smoother; this could also be due to the mileage so it isn't really fair to dock it a point on this
- every now and then when I decelerate in 2nd gear and depress the clutch my revs will jump up to 1500rpm and peg there until I blip the throttle
-I wish we got the i30 in diesel here! I would buy it in a heartbeat :)

That just about sums up my first 10K km of ownership, with hopefully many more to come!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :ta: for that nice little review wabbit!

I have places to go and things to do but just a couple of observations..

The clutch action could be mileage related and usually a gearbox gets less notchy with mileage??

Might be worth getting the transmission oil upgraded/replaced at the next service!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi Daz

My experience too has been that gearboxes loosen up with time, so it could be the oil that needs replacement. I just find that sometimes I struggle to shift into gear, especially from 1st to 2nd, at around 2500rpm

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Daz

My experience too has been that gearboxes loosen up with time, so it could be the oil that needs replacement. I just find that sometimes I struggle to shift into gear, especially from 1st to 2nd, at around 2500rpm
We had a 2008 i30 crdi for 2 years and it was a bit notchy 1st to 2nd and into reverse, but it did improve a bit... The wife's 2.0 petrol CW is a my11 model and has a very smooth change...

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The notchy gear change you can solve by changing the gear oil.

I had same issue in mine and changed the oil @ around 190.000 km. The gear change is now very smooth...  :happydance:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
The notchy gear change you can solve by changing the gear oil.

I had same issue in mine and changed the oil @ around 190.000 km. The gear change is now very smooth...  :happydance:
Hmmm, mine might be due then. I come from a world of bikes where the gearbox and engine oil is shared so I have never changed purely the gearbox oil on a vehicle. What wt oil did you use if I may ask? Or is gearbox oil just a standard wt? Ya see, I'm clueless with this :p

I might ask Hyundai on my next service to change it for me if they won't charge me an arm and a leg to do it as well

@Dazzler, same here, my reverse is also a bit hit and miss when the engine is cold or if I am on an incline

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I might ask Hyundai on my next service to change it for me if they won't charge me an arm to do it as well

That would make it even harder to change gears...  :eek: :snigger:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

I might ask Hyundai on my next service to change it for me if they won't charge me an arm to do it as well

That would make it even harder to change gears...  :eek: :snigger:
:lol:

I meant to say an arm and a leg. Second time today I have failed at typing. I haven't got enough caffeine in my bloodstream apparently

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I used this Castrol oil:   Syntrans FE 75W 

The capacity is 2 liters.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

Thanks! And what are your average temperatures there? I wonder if the petrol and diesel boxes will have the same capacity? :exclaim:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Thanks! And what are your average temperatures there? I wonder if the petrol and diesel boxes will have the same capacity? :exclaim:

Sorry, the 2,0 litre is for mine. Just looked up yours and it's 1,9 liters.  :P  Same oil according to Castrol's oil guide.

In summer we have up to 30°C and in winter down to -20°C. Work well under both conditions.  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!

Sorry, the 2,0 litre is for mine. Just looked up yours and it's 1,9 liters.  :P  Same oil according to Castrol's oil guide.

In summer we have up to 30°C and in winter down to -20°C. Work well under both conditions.  :D
Close enough! Although I have heard that tranny oil needs to be quite precise as it is sealed and doesn't fluctuate as much as normal engine oil, so I will give that a bash. I am going to the farm and will have access to ramps this weekend so I might do that when I have time.

Sounds 50% like SA - we get 30 degrees here on a nice summer's day, the most I have seen is 44deg C in Grahamstown which felt like absolute murder, but the coldest I have experienced is -2deg C so we don't exactly freeze as much :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal