i30 Owners Club

Main faults with the i30 ?

alan2938 · 36 · 45945

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
i do know that the rubber is really thin compared to my other halves commodore...

I noticed that too, it was like paper where it had split open.... :undecided:

Mel, did you have the seal replaced?

I never bothered, I just placed some clear tape over the split and it's never gotten any worse....

Offline Mel

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Western Sydney

• 2010 I30 CW SLX CRDI Auto
i do know that the rubber is really thin compared to my other halves commodore...

I noticed that too, it was like paper where it had split open.... :undecided:

Mel, did you have the seal replaced?

I never bothered, I just placed some clear tape over the split and it's never gotten any worse....
no never bothered.. out of principal i keep asking everytime i have a service will they fix it and one day they might admit the problem and surprise me and say yes..  :rofl:
  • 2010 CW SLX CRDI auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
no never bothered.. out of principal i keep asking everytime i have a service will they fix it and one day they might admit the problem and surprise me and say yes..  :rofl:

Yeah  :lol: Look out for the new guy  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Maybe I'll try that as my 30,000k service is fast coming up.... :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Maybe I'll try that as my 30,000k service is fast coming up.... :lol:

Rusty, as far as I know, door seals are extruded in one long length and cut to size.
Now, extrusions can alter their thickness depending on a number of factors at the head of the extruder. Heat variation, pressure at the screw, a feed blockage of the raw material and so on.
If that is the case with these it should be obvious by feeling around your other door seals (or those on another car). If you can demonstrate a thin section just where it's failing, you have evidence of faulty manufacture.
It was the comment that they feel like paper where they've split which reminded me of this. Mel, you could probably check yours too. It'll be pretty obvious if some areas are softer (thinner) than others.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal