i30 Owners Club

i30 glow plug light slow to go out

Offline golfergavnz

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
hi guys and girls I have a 2008 i30 diesel
is it normal for the glow plug to take what seems like at least 10 sec to go out before I can start the car
I on occasion drive the work holden rodeo diesel and I can just turn key and start straight
could there be a glow plug problem or battery or both
your help would be appreciated
  • hyundai i30 diesel auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
No, that's normal behaviour.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I guess it's purely temperature related (duh!). :wacko:
Mine takes about the time the radio kicks in, so probably a second or two. It's so consistent I now sometimes turn the key when I hear the radio even without watching the light. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I've never had to wait 10 sec before the glow light went out, not even when there was -20°C out there.... :cold:

Not sure what the problem is, but it's not normal.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Ted11

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Campbelltown
seems about normal ,you should hear relay under bonnet click out before the light goes out and is related to temp.
is it the same when engine is hot ?
  • i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The glow plug relay use the engine coolant temperature to determine the necessary glowtime.

If the temp sensor is faulty then the glow time will be wrong, e.g if the temp reads as -40 °C   This will of course not be logged as an error in the ecu, so to find out you need to have a scan gauge to read the temp or the dealers computer can tell you.

If this is the case, then the overall consumption will most likely be affected as well.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
seems about normal ,you should hear relay under bonnet click out before the light goes out and is related to temp.
is it the same when engine is hot ?

The glow plugs actually keeps glowing after the light goes out, up to 30 sec more depending on engine temperature.

The light only goes out to let you know that the temperature in the combustion chamber now is high enough to start the engine.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline i30niko

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      ADELAIDE, SA, AUSTRALIA
I live in Australia and the lowest temperature we had over winter was 0 degrees Celsius and the glow plug only took 3-4 seconds max.
I think 10 seconds waiting time is excessive for any temperatures above zero degrees. Call a hyundai dealer and ask them.
  • 2010 i30 diesel SX auto

Offline golfergavnz

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Auckland
Hi thanks for that
When the car has been driven and at operating temp it  starts
Instantly even  after  about 2 hours
  • hyundai i30 diesel auto

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
From my days doing auto engineering at college (although worth noting this was ten years ago) glow plugs usually reach very high temperatures (usually around 600-800 degrees C). It is not unusual for glow plugs to take 10 seconds to reach operating temperature. So its not a major problem.

Things to look out for -
i) Problems starting the car irrespective of weather.
ii) A lumpy idle when cold.
iii) Black smoke when cold (not white, all cars get condensation in their exhausts, white smoke indicates the water is evaporating, black is fuel not burning correctly)

These can all be indications that the glowplugs are not reaching the correct temperature.

Unless you get any of these symptoms, there really shouldn't be too much to worry about.
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry Stu, but there is a difference between white smoke and steam. Unburnt fuel that has NEVER been ignited is in fact whitish. The black you refer to, is improperly burned fuel where the air fuel ratio is incorrect for complete combustion. I have observed the white smoke characteristics and it does not evaporate into the air, but dissipates as you would expect smoke to do.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline StuMac

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Croydon
I agree with what you say, there is indeed a difference in thick persistent white or grey smoke and steam. However grey smoke often points to a different problem such as a PCV, auto transmission issues, turbo problems, Coolant being burnt, but this smoke is typically more grey than white. But that's a whole other can of worms.

But white smoke from a cold start is 99.99% of the time due to water. My comments were only in the context of a car with potential glow plug / cold start issues.
  • 2012 i30 5 Door Hatch, 1.6 Diesel CDRi, Auto, White

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
As Phil has said white "SMOKE" on cold start is un-ignited fuel and is almost always a glow plug issue. Not to be confused with steam.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline crazykev

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hey mate yeah the behauviour of that light is pretty useless, my glow plugs were completely stuffed and not working at all and the light was still going out so figure that out. Its like the other bloke says it must work out the time based on coolant temp but it dosent actually know if the plugs have glowed. Mine was at 115k when I got it and none of the 4 would take any current when glowed so hyundai replaced all on warranty.

The car glows the plugs a little bit when its running cold to improve cold running so it probably leads to early glow plug failure.
  • i30 FD diesel slx

Offline Morten martinsen

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Telemark, Norway
You probably got one or two malfunction glow plug, its a common problem, at least her im Norway.
You should take it to a workshop and get it checked out.
It is not an easy job, they have an ugly habbit of breaking when you shall remove them. So let the mehcanic do it. And as some say here, the glow plugs are operatin even after the light turn off. And that are called active glowing.
  • Hyundai i30 2008my Premium/GLS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal