i30 Owners Club

Windows 10 update

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I forgot to mention that I downloaded windows 10 ISO, I respect Steve's rampant paranoia and I share some of the same.   

Since I already posses a microsloth account I just signed in with that, which gave me access to the ISO file.

Not too much to report really, I have obviously not loaded it onto my MAIN computer  :lol:  that would be plain silly.  Instead poor old Mr Linux had to bite the dust once more, linux is on and off my other desktop like a brides nighty and that's OK because that's what it's there for.

So far all I have done on it is check a few emails using Thunderbird and done a map update on my trusty Garmin Sat Nav which for some reason always baulks when I try to do it on this machine <USB conflict methinks> ...

The START menu is not exactly as it was in 7 but it is all there just slightly different, the shared metro tiles are OK if ya like that sorta thing, it might grow on me.

All in all chaps nothing to get excited about, I shall explore it more as the weeks progress, as of now, my opinion is that it'd have to be the right price to get me to buy a copy by which I mean sensibly cheap.
If they start this cloud shite, has as been mooted,  they can p**s right off.
The version I heard mooted was at Techrepublic and they were suggesting that it would be a giveaway with a monthly rental charge.   
Not for me to be handcuffed to an operating system, I do not think so.
Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point so don't quote me, just watch this space

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm with Win7 and quite happy with this arrangement at present. My next OS will be Linux if only they'd eliminate MS and their perpetual lawsuits and obstructive practices. No way I'd pay for, or rent another OS.

IMO Linux still needs to be dumbed down. Less of the DOS type coding and more GUI mouse clicking. It's getting better, but that's the main obstacle for me.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I'm with Win7 and quite happy with this arrangement at present. My next OS will be Linux if only they'd eliminate MS and their perpetual lawsuits and obstructive practices. No way I'd pay for, or rent another OS.

IMO Linux still needs to be dumbed down. Less of the DOS type coding and more GUI mouse clicking. It's getting better, but that's the main obstacle for me.

Yeppers I know what ya mean.  If I don't use linux for a while I have to struggle for a day or two <sigh>.

As you say if they want to it really take off it will have to be dumbed down quite a bit more.      :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Am I right in understanding they now have a similar arrangement with "Office"? You "buy" it for a year - which I assume means at the end of the year you have to "renew"?

And I agree. There'll be no Cloud for me.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Am I right in understanding they now have a similar arrangement with "Office"? You "buy" it for a year - which I assume means at the end of the year you have to "renew"?

And I agree. There'll be no Cloud for me.

Yep, that's what their thinking about  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Cloud, store anything on that and expect to receive a message that it was irretrievably lost, due to a hardware fault.

Great concept, but completely insecure and untrustworthy.  :fum:

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Cloud, store anything on that and expect to receive a message that it was irretrievably lost, due to a hardware fault.

Great concept, but completely insecure and untrustworthy.  :fum:

:whsaid:
Also, it's only as fast as your internet connection, often less than 1% of the speed of hard drives.  :Pout:
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
10 should be quite a good OS, it's basically Windows 8 with all the improvements and missing components replaced that users wanted from Win7, none of the cloud features are needed unless you require OneDrive but once it's disabled you'll never hear from it :)

The benefits of Win8 over Win7 was the stability, speed and resource usage which Win10 should retain or even further improve on.

PS... if you want good free office software use Libre :)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I'm with Phil. Given the horsepower available in a current desktop computer I'm wondering about the real speed/performance benefits of 8 compared to 7. I suspect it was MS marketing hype designed to leverage $$$ out of consumer's wallets. My 7 powered machine has the desktop up and running in a few seconds and honestly I'm really not sure I am missing anything by sticking with 7. It is used to crunch massive spreadsheets and databases in the daytime and is more than up to the job for these requirements. I can't say I feel the need for more speed to be honest.

As for Linux OS need to get their stuff together etc...  Apple have had that sorted for years. Linux distros run like Windows out of the box for the most part as well. Its just a question of what you are used to or get used to I think.

As for annual licensing fees for software which is where Office 365 is headed, forget that. There's plenty of good free alternatives for home users for office suites anyway.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Cue the promo tape ...

Try :link: lupu5286 torrent by rerwin ( 9-Mar-2014) « Puppy Linux Help & Forum for a Windows User-friendly experience. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I remember Windows 98,  then 2000 , just wondering how they got back to 10? it will be 2015 soon, is it just a random choice of number?
i always thought my old windows 98 was the best.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I remember Windows 98,  then 2000 , just wondering how they got back to 10? it will be 2015 soon, is it just a random choice of number?
i always thought my old windows 98 was the best.

Apparently 9 is an unlucky number in the East, and they hope to sell big in the East ergo they moved up  from 9 to 10.

Is what I heard  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
remember when 2000 was supposed to shut everything down or should say the year 2000.
seems to just be marketing ploy to try to sell more. i think they should have just kept with the years numbers.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Marketing I think. With the big gap in releases between versions its less obvious that your operating system is 5 years old. Plus 10 sounds more mature than 9.

Strangely though I think the opposite is true with MS Office although now they call it Office 365 for some reason.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
And as for "cloud" storage, here's another idea that may catch on:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

128Mb eh?

Yeah, that'll catch on like wildfire :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Strangely though I think the opposite is true with MS Office although now they call it Office 365 for some reason.
Office 365 is the yearly subscription version, you can still get the one time payment versions :link: Buy Microsoft Office 2013 suites and Office 365 subscriptions scroll down for the one time payment options.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
remember when 2000 was supposed to shut everything down or should say the year 2000.
seems to just be marketing ploy to try to sell more. i think they should have just kept with the years numbers.
As for marketing ploys Microsoft will be making Windows 10 available for free to anyone with Windows 8 as far as I know at this point in time, just waiting to see if they'll offer it to the XP users as well to finally get them to move on from their archaic systems  :undecided: :Good_luck:

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

128Mb eh?

Yeah, that'll catch on like wildfire :P

Its a concept I call "personal cloud". Its available everywhere whether you have network access or not and there is no need to host on someone else's dodgy infrastructure. Scales massively for potentially unlimited storage capability. I think the idea has merit and I hope it takes off. :P

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
And it's a lot faster, too.  :goodjob2:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
And it's not just for storage. I carry my whole desktop, applications and documents (my whole working system) on one attached to my keyring. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
As for marketing ploys Microsoft will be making Windows 10 available for free to anyone with Windows 8 as far as I know at this point in time, just waiting to see if they'll offer it to the XP users as well to finally get them to move on from their archaic systems  :undecided: :Good_luck:

:link: Windows 10 Will Be Free for Personal Users? | TechBeat
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Good article. Giving away the base version for free is an interesting move. I wonder how that's going to impact their OEM revenues.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal