i30 Owners Club

2011 FD SX auto -- my first impressions

mcmonte · 26 · 22644

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
Last weekend I visited my sister in Sydney. I'd found her car online while she was heading home from the dealers on Parra Rd.
Major gripes in red.

Anyway, I first hopped into the back seat, next to the baby seat. Very comfy for my 6'2" (1.88m) frame, with my knees barely touching the drivers seat. Head and foot room were also impressive for a car of this size. But what's with the carpet?! Did they take reclaimed fibres and boil down a soup, inject the slurry into molds and bake it? That's the impression I was left with.

Then I remembered to check the tyres. The previous owner had written in the carsales ad that new tyres were fitted in November 2013 at 64750km. About 23000km later, they still looked practically new.
They're Mastercraft Touring LSR in the standard 195/65-15 size. Seem very good in the dry conditions I experienced. Ride and noise also very good.
(She since advised they were great during the thunderstorms on Wednesday November 5).

The next day, I rode in the passenger seat. Pretty good, played with the stereo and USB input. Because of the centre console being angled as it is, my right knee would touch it. To be fair, I don't think the seat was back all the way, as the baby seat was behind it.

On Sunday I finally took it for a drive. Despite a 5" height difference, I didn't need to change anything for a comfortable drive, including mirrors for the sight lines.

Throttle is very sensitive from rest. Either you'd have to adjust your style for a smooth take-off, or perhaps Hyundai will have an update for the fly-by-wire at some point. I'd read somewhere (maybe here) that the indicator clicks are hardly audible. Not so in this car, and we had the stereo at moderate volume.
Speaking of which, excellent sound from such a basic 4 (or 6?) speaker system. We had all settings at their middles (default). And the USB worked perfectly.
The steering is very light and lacks feel. Rear vision isn't great, but a camera can be added.

These niggles don't bother my sister or her hubby. They have a car that's safer, better built and roomier than their old Mirage. My opinion? Overall, I really liked it. Kinda reminded me of my old Celica SX auto (my girlfriend only wanted to learn auto trans). The numbers tell the story:

1986 Celica SX auto: 103kW, 173Nm, 1175kg  11.4kg/kW
2011 i30 SX auto: 105kW, 186Nm, 1360kg  12.95kg/kW

The slight torque advantage to the i30 pretty much negates the weight penalty. Feels that way, could also be gear ratios.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars (Honda x3, Mitsubishi x2 and a Toyota). If I were in the market for a car, I'd go for an FD i30, with a manual diesel being my preference.
Coming from cynical old me, there's no higher praise. :thanx:
  • Honda

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The Mastercraft has a mileage warranty. I think it's 70,000 but I'm not sure. However, these things don't normally transfer from owner to owner. At least it looks like your sister will get the distance anyway.

Edit. That size is 70,000 klms.

PS. In my experience every car has a slightly different "feel" to its accellerator and brake pedals.
I reckon you'd not notice the difference if you drove it for a few days.
I agree the carpet is pretty ordinary. In my childhood you could buy carpet for your home or the budget feltex. I think this is feltex.
Interesting comment about the steering. I came out of two Subarus and reckon it's pretty good, especially on the highway.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:22:21 by Surferdude »
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I've never really liked the 'carpet'.

But as I was cleaning out the Falcon for trade, I realised that I had covered the carpet with mats for its entire life and only really seen when I vacuumed under the mats.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Interesting feedback. Having had a Manual Diesel I reckon they are the pick. The 2.0 ltr petrol manual isn't too bad either..  :cool:

I found a 2.0 ltr 4 speed Auto that we rented once in Qld as pretty ordinary..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Glad to hear you've been impressed.
Tyres sound like they are doing well but I would recommend to your sister to keep the pressures a bit above spec (around 36psi does well) and keep regular alignments. FD's tend to wear the inner edges otherwise.

All your negatives are fairly minor so good stuff
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... FD's tend to wear the inner edges otherwise.
Sure do! I changed my front tyres at about 60.000 due to inner wear on a 4 degree misalignment. I've just hit 70,000 (today) and rear originals are still good. I stuck with Kumhos. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Sure do! I changed my front tyres at about 60.000 due to inner wear on a 4 degree misalignment. I've just hit 70,000 (today) and rear originals are still good. I stuck with Kumhos. :victory:
Geez Gonz, 60,000 klms out of front tyres on ANY FWD car is excellent, even without an alignment problem.  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My frugal driving delivers more than just fuel economy, Dude. :victory:

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Heading up, I didn't know what was fitted. If it was something dodgy, I was going to recommend KH17s. We're all quite happy with the Mastercrafts. To be honest, I'd make fun of the TV ad when they'd run it a few years ago....introducing a tyre brand Aussie consumers had never heard of? And something so critical for safe motoring. It just seemed like something dodgy from The Simpsons. Like the Carnivale TV. Anyone remember this?

But if you like to watch TV, and I mean really watch it, you want the Carnivale. It features a two-pronged wall plug, a pre-molded hand grip well, durable outer casing to prevent fall apart . . .

Turns out they're a division of Cooper Tires (sic). It surely was an illuminating weekend for me. I learned that high mileage tyres aren't all diabolical (I'd heard as much about tyres favoured by taxi operators).

And ten years ago, I wouldn't spit on a Hyundai. Not out of respect, but why dehydrate myself for such rubbish?
I wasn't wrong at the time. To be fair (and as many here well know), they came of age in 2007 with this car. I'm open-minded enough to change my perceptions accordingly. I'll own one sometime down the track.

cruiserfied: yes I've advised bro-in-law to get a pressure gauge and keep them at recommended levels or a touch over. I think they'd prefer a slight comfort advantage of being slightly under 36psi. For the baby, that is.
  • Honda

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

It was a question of the usual factors, Dazz. Budget, mandatory automatic and they needed a suitable car ASAP.

Normally, such pressure will result in a poor choice. I think they were lucky with this car. It was originally a Govt fleet car (stripper SX, white). And the second owner was a good guy. Lucky!

I tried to steer them towards a diesel auto, but the right car wasn't available on the day. Also because I was honest with my sister, she may have been put off by the possible irritant nature of diesel fuel (she has allergies) and the need to have latex gloves in the car etc.

But wow! If the petrol auto is "ordinary" as you and many others have attested, the diesels must be amazing. Can't wait to try a manual diesel! The ONLY downside I can see is having to tick the "Turbo" box for insurance.
Those lousy mongrels. Always trying to screw us  :TutTut:
  • Honda

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

But wow! If the petrol auto is "ordinary" as you and many others have attested, the diesels must be amazing. Can't wait to try a manual diesel! The ONLY downside I can see is having to tick the "Turbo" box for insurance.
Those lousy mongrels. Always trying to screw us  :TutTut:

Turbo Diesels are not put into the same category as turbo petrol. I don't think from my experience they are any dearer to insure than the petrol models. :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't think from my experience they are any dearer to insure than the petrol models. :goodjob:
Mine neither. :victory:

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

Well that bloody-well settles that then! Glad I aired the concern, and it's not an issue. Thanks for that.

All that remains in re-training myself from lightweight internals and high-revving Hondas to grunty oilers. Should be easy enough.

Oh, and scraping enough coin together for the car. Problem is, I'd have trouble parting with my old girl (the car too).
  • Honda

Offline lingua franca

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Glenside, Adelaide
My first test drive of the GD TROPHY in May this year left me decidedly underwhelmed.!!
Compared with my previous car I also thought that the steering "light and lacking road feel".
The salesman was surprised and pointed out that there are actually three settings all adjustable from a button on the steering wheel hub. They are Comfort Normal and Sport.
 I have a friend who recently bought two Trophy's, one each. His and Hers as it were!
Wendy was telling me she could not believe how different the steering felt on husband Bill's
car. Sure enough hers was on Comfort, and his on Sport.
They are now both on Sport and as the saying goes in Australia she is now a "happy little Vegemite"

I do wonder how many Hy drivers are unaware of what a simple job it is to make a difference one way or another and how many salespeople have not explained this desirable feature.

• 2014 i30 Trophy hatch 1.8 Petrol Auto white

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good point lf.
Not all salesmen do this little chore well.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My salesman explained the Bluetooth but that was it, I think they know that if they sat there and explained what everything did you probably wouldn't remember any of it :winker:

Once I get the car home I sit there and touch/play with all the buttons until I've familiarised myself.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I know that there is a 2011 FD SLX CRDi manual for sale in Launceston at JMC.  One owner (me) with full service history, and 15 months left on the factory warranty.  It has done a few kms for its age, but is great car.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My first test drive of the GD TROPHY in May this year left me decidedly underwhelmed.!!
Compared with my previous car I also thought that the steering "light and lacking road feel".
The salesman was surprised and pointed out that there are actually three settings all adjustable from a button on the steering wheel hub. They are Comfort Normal and Sport.
 I have a friend who recently bought two Trophy's, one each. His and Hers as it were!
Wendy was telling me she could not believe how different the steering felt on husband Bill's
car. Sure enough hers was on Comfort, and his on Sport.
They are now both on Sport and as the saying goes in Australia she is now a "happy little Vegemite"

I do wonder how many Hy drivers are unaware of what a simple job it is to make a difference one way or another and how many salespeople have not explained this desirable feature.

Interestingly, car reviewers regularly cane the feature, saying things like it is a gimmick (or has little effect)

We found the same thing as you and your friend have.

My wife recently traded her 2010 CW for a 2014 Tourer and complained how heavy the steering was, I switched it to another setting (comfort I think) and now she is happy.. Quick, take a photo  :snigger:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
U 2, eh :exclaim: :mrgreen:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know that there is a 2011 FD SLX CRDi manual for sale in Launceston at JMC.  One owner (me) with full service history, and 15 months left on the factory warranty.  It has done a few kms for its age, but is great car.

What is the mark up?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I got less than I wanted but more than I needed for the trade.  "Redbook" has my car valued between $7,800 and $11,000.  As mine had more than average mileage I was expecting at the lower end.  I ended up getting $9,300.  My car was also made in May 2010 and had a compliance plate of Jan 2011, so it was sitting around for a bit on the docks (I think it was listed as a MY10.5).  They have it advertised for $14,990 "Drive away" which includes stamp duty and transfer fees.  I did "save" the car on CarSales and got it offered to me for $13,850 "Drive away".

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I got less than I wanted but more than I needed for the trade. 

I like that line.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

I wanted what I paid for it, but that wasn't going to happen.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I wanted what I paid for it, but that wasn't going to happen.

Even used car salesmen have families to feed.    :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We let them BREED? :eek:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We let them BREED? :eek:

Now that is a scary thought! :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal